Midnight Mapper Gets A Plug

Thanks for the link Captain, you sparked my curiosity, how ever I have done a fair amount of clicking with no article forthcoming? An suggestions?
MM

I took it you had to be a paid subscriber, to get the magazine and then go to page 35..

I was the same, couldnt find it..

Unsure how they have a banner talking about the etc free magazine, then a link to pay the price to subscribe.. We have different definitions of free it would seem .

When you open the link look at the left side and click on the button "Read Free Online". A new page opens and you can read the magazine (bit slow). Once the front page shows you can in the bar on the top enter the page number (35, 36-37, 38) and it will bring you to "Bombs and Bikes"

You are definitely a riding rock star Mr. Duvall! -- Good to see you getting the recognition you deserve .

The magazine article is below: CLICK ON EACH IMAGE TO ENLARGE THEM FOR READING

DON PAGE 1A.jpg

don page 1.jpg

don page 2.jpg

don page 3.jpg

Great write up. Thanks for posting the article Phil.

Great to see Don forced from the closet and get positive exposure for all the efforts he has put into the map.

Yes thanks for doing that Phil, I tried to but couldnt get it to copy, whats the secret to doing it?

Captain_Slash said:
Yes thanks for doing that Phil, I tried to but couldnt get it to copy, whats the secret to doing it?

Colin it won't copy - you needed to screen-shot it and save it.

Many thanks Colin for the link!
And Auke, who figured out how to view it!
I was hired as the Route consultant after many months of contacts with this production company.
The producer was from GB, Ants whom was quite professional, as it turns out, had done many adventure and remote productions over the years. All in all, what a great fun and a little different than simply " exploring and discovering!

Ho-Chi-Minh-trail-production.jpg

More photos, on the way...

Did they give you any idea of how long the documentary would take to make?

Midnitemapper said:
Many thanks Colin for the link!
And Auke, who figured out how to view it!
I was hired as the Route consultant after many months of contacts with this production company.
The producer was from GB, Ants whom was quite professional, as it turns out, had done many adventure and remote productions over the years. All in all, what a great fun and a little different than simply " exploring and discovering!
[attachment=0:2vvhe7bv]Ho-Chi-Minh-trail-production.jpg[/attachment:2vvhe7bv]

More photos, on the way...

"The programme is called World's Most Dangerous Roads and is on BBC2, Sunday
9pm - not sure exact date yet, but in next few months.."

Got this from the Author of the piece..

:RO

Can you record is somehow? DVR etc...?

Steve Canyon said:
"The programme is called World's Most Dangerous Roads and is on BBC2, Sunday
9pm - not sure exact date yet, but in next few months.."

Got this from the Author of the piece..

Steve Canyon said:
BBC I player will be your best bet... :DD

Overseas availability

BBC TV productions are paid for by the UK television licence fee and rights agreements with third parties. Thus, all BBC iPlayer TV programmes are accessible from IP addresses allocated to the UK only, as of 2011[update]. It has been reported that many people outside the UK circumvent that rule by buying a virtual private network account with an IP address located in the UK.[citation needed]

However, most radio programmes can be accessed globally, with the exception of a few programmes, mainly sports broadcasts, that are affected by rights issues. One quirk is that mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPod Touch cannot access radio overseas via BBC iPlayer whereas computers can.[citation needed]

An international version of the iPlayer was launched on 28 July 2011 in eleven western European countries,[33] after receiving the approval of the BBC Trust in November 2010.[130] The international iPlayer takes the form of an iPad application which offers a limited amount of free content, supported by pre-roll ads and sponsorship, but its core business model is subscription (Subscription costs of approximately £5.00 per month). The global iPlayer app includes some features that are not in the UK version, including the ability to stream shows over 3G as well as Wi-Fi, and a downloading feature to store programmes on the iPad for offline viewing. At launch 1,500 hours of content was made available, of which 60% had been produced and commissioned by the BBC, while 30% had been commissioned by the BBC but produced by independents. The other 10% was entirely non-BBC content, including ITV's Primeval, and Channel 4's The Naked Chef and Misfits. Launches in Australia and Canada followed by the end of 2011 as part of what is intended to be a one-year pilot.

Although US availability was also anticipated in 2011, an American launch date has yet to be announced as of the end of the year.

How to watch BBC iPlayer abroad

It’s fair to say that the BBC has a stellar reputation around the world for the quality of its TV programmes. The problem is, its iPlayer catch-up service is only available in the UK, so if you’re a Brit abroad you’re stuck.

While it’s always been possible to tunnel into the iPlayer from outside the UK via a Virtual Private Network, the average user would probably find this too much hassle to set up, and VPNs often charge a monthly fee. To solve the problem, a new free app called Expat Shield has launched this month from AnchorFree, the same stable as Hotspot Shield which offers the same service for US users.

Aimed at expatriate Brits, this Windows app (supporting XP, Vista and Windows 7) assigns a UK IP number to your Internet connection, meaning that when you connect to the iPlayer website, it thinks you are in Her Majesty’s kingdom, when in actual fact you’re on the beach in Spain or maybe at a South Pole research station.

Installing the software is a cinch, although you’ll probably want to uncheck the option to additionally install the “Expat Shield Community Toolbar” as it’s not a necessary part of the service. When I installed the software, I got a warning that the software hadn’t passed Windows Logo testing, which guarantees that it’s fully compatible with the operating system. If you get this warning too, be aware that there’s a slight chance of some kind of system instability as a result of using it, although I used it with no problems.

Once installed and launched, it’s as simple as clicking the “Connect” button and your Internet connection is instantly diverted via a VPN which will fool iPlayer, and any other website, into thinking you’re in the UK. This is just as useful for other country-locked websites and services like Spotify.

Expat Shield is free to use and is supported by ads that are displayed when you connect and disconnect from the service.

The license agreement for the Expat Shield states that it is only for use by expatriate Brits. While there’s nothing to stop anyone in the world installing and using it, it’s clear that AnchorFree is covering its back against accusations of helping users break the terms of the services it helps users access.

With the BBC having promised a worldwide version of iPlayer aimed at Brits abroad by next summer, it may not be necessary to use a VPN in the future. For now though, Expat Shield is a simple solution to a common problem
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/10/30/h ... er-abroad/

Link for Expatshield....http://www.expatshield.com

I have been using the expat sheild now for a few months......it does have some problems .
One of the problems is the constant pop up adds that come up whilst using Expatshield ( it has to gets its income from somewhere )
I am not an expert but have found it is best to use the Expat shield on Google chrome and if you go into the Jake TV site you can download the addblock for Google chrome ..http://www.jaketv.co.uk/splash.htm
I use a 12call and a telephone as a modem so its to slow to stream the BBC TV but I can listen to all the live BBC radio programs which includes 5 live for football,Rugby and so on.( The programs that the BBC won't normally let you watch and listen too )
I would also recommend you only use the Expat Shield when you are just watching the BBC iPlayer or listening to BBC Radio, as the article above says there can be some chance of some kind of system instability as a result of using it.I've had no big problems so far apart from being pestered with pop up add on other browsers whist using it and Opera shutting down a few time but just click on the icon are it starts back up again from where you were.

iPlayer is easy with a VPN. I pay for one but free ones and proxies can be found.

What was the Ep of the show.. Will try to pull it and host a torrent or find a link on one of the tracker sites for uk TV.

Its up on usenet binaries but I doubt many here will want that process.. It only went to usenet an hour or so ago, so will hit the torrent trackers in the next couple of hours.

Torrents easy enough for most I assume ?

Two women driving a boring car? There is not much correlation between the article and the TV show.

About 14 minutes into the show they cross a river, is that Bang Fai river? If so, where is that crossing?

Watched the documentary, thought it was a bit slow, maybe because we;ve ridden there so many times and seen better sights than they have.

My guess it is the Xe Bangfai crossing which is located here: N17.40043 E105.73221 which is south of Rd 12 and north of Bualapha.

I have been at the crossing at those coordinates but it does not look like it, the river seemed more narrow and deeper but my memory is not very clear as it was two years ago. I was there in November 3rd 2010 and it would have been impossible to drive over then, the water was 1.5 meters deep, don't know when they filmed it. I tried to get across the Bangfai river at those coordinates to get to the Bangfai river cave but ended up going the long bad way around.

I have been at the crossing at those coordinates but it does not look like it, the river seemed more narrow and deeper but my memory is not very clear as it was two years ago. I was there in November 3rd 2010 and it would have been impossible to drive over then, the water was 1.5 meters deep, don't know when they filmed it. I tried to get across the Bangfai river at those coordinates to get to the Bangfai river cave but ended up going the long bad way around.

Did it look like this when you crossed it?, I'm sure it's the same bridge..

PC080145-M.jpg

PC080138-L.jpg

Not a good one mind you

Bridge.jpg

Wrt HCM Trail, is the route from Ta Oi through La Hap / La Beng still doable ?

Hi Bill hoping to meet you on the trail sometime?
We can swap stories of the Ko Kong , Phom Awaey trail!

Big Changes on that route, for sure, Road 15 is very much a Highway now, and the La Hap track is a " survival ride" however there are lots of newly opened trails in the area of Samouy, Karum. and the old "23" is heavenly.

bikes.jpg

Early morning Vietnamese sellers

ford.jpg

Xe Bangfai ford

MM

Sounds great. I would like to ride 23 and the Karum area you mention.

Aiming for this dry season for a trip to Laos.

I reckon we might have crossed paths at a restaurant in Tbaeng Mean Chey early 2008.
I was riding solo on my DRZ, and Zeman and Mikey were there with half their tour group...
You, if I'm correct, were traveling solo on a XR400.

DSC00589.jpg

That track between TMC and Stung Treng is a gravel highway now I'm told.

Wow that jogs the memory of Tabeng Meanchy!
Yes I was on the XR400
The good ole days, ha,

Ben on the rally, "sorry we gotta get going, were trying to lose the slow riders in the back"

2 shots below of the La Hap trail

lahap-track.jpg

La hap track

la-hap-road.jpg

Samouy area

pipesmoker.jpg

That Xe Bangfai crossing can be a bit of a challenge with some good size rocks to get over in the beginning going from the north to south.

P1070715-L.jpg

The track farther along is fun on the big bore bikes with lovely sweeping sandy turns and huge grins to be had.

Bill - I'm with ya on the sadness that the stretch in Cambodia from Strung Treng to T'Beang Meanchey (I've seen that town spelt soooo many different ways :) ) is now a graded road. Fond memories of sandy singletrack and fun, dodgy bridge crossings.

P1030718-L.jpg

This was my scariest bridge crossing. All alone in the middle of nowhere I was a wreck. Couldn't ride slowly to test it since it was too narrow to put the feet down and i was just praying my bag would not snag on the branch and send me into bog below.

P1030740-L.jpg

How Don does those dodgy crossings time after time by himself I'll never know.

I'll really miss that ST - TM track, one of my favorites of all time.

Did it look like this when you crossed it?, I'm sure it's the same bridge..

No, there was no bridge at all. Only a dirt road on each side.

There was no visible purpose made ford as in Midnightmapper's picture either.

Things must have changed in the last two years.

How the feck did you manage that dude....eyes closed full gas?

View attachment 8747

My eyes ain't much good open or closed. Thinking reminds me too much of work so I just went for it with enough speed that if I came off I was hoping I'd crash into the far bank onto terra firma. Once across my stomach ached from the adrenaline buzz. Huge respect for Don that must come across the dodgy shit alone quite often and gets it done.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil General Discussion 1