MID-KNIGHT: Tokyo Z-1 custom shop

Kamakura Kid

MID KNIGHT's owner, Kaneko-san, and I go back about 15 years. We used to hang out with the the guys from a Tokyo based Harley Club. Neither of us were patched in, though.

The shop is only about 20 miles away from my house as the crow flys, but actually getting there via roads is difficult. Took me three and a half hours to get home last night! All the major roads were choked with traffic, so I got home using side roads so narrow I had to fold my door mirrors in to clear oncoming traffic.

Kaneko-san himself with your humble scribe.
PA280458.jpg

This is a Ninja he was working on. See the robust side brace?
PA280442.jpg

It actually incorporates a ram air system.
PA280443.jpg

Other side of the bike, which features a heavy duty cooling system.
PA280444.jpg

Kaneko-san hand cut the flames on a band saw.
PA280445.jpg

Also hand tooled the ribs on the thermostat housing.
PA280447.jpg

Likewise hand detailed the instrument panel.
PA280448.jpg

The start of a Z-1 based project. The FRP seat/tailpiece is a MID KNIGHT original.
PA280446.jpg

While the short version of Mid Knight's motto is "Built For Speed" this is the longer one.
PA280450.jpg

The proud owner of a MID KNIGHT customized Z-1.
PA280452.jpg

Note the modified intake manifold, upturned to keep the fuel bowls from starving while the owner pops a long distance wheelie.
PA280453.jpg

Modified oil system to ensure the heads receive cooler oil.
PA280454.jpg

Braced swingarm since the owner spends so much time on the back wheel alone. Ignore the sticker on the megaphone, the 4/1 is actually a MAC, although MID KNIGHT does produce its own 4/1 systems.
PA280455.jpg

MID KNIGHT crafted vented sidecovers, the modified emblems are also MID KNIGHT originals.
PA280459.jpg

And his trademark timing covers. This is an early sand cast version he had lying around the shop, his current ones use a better manufacturing process. He told me what it was, but I forgot.
PA280460.jpg

KK ---Wonderful to find real craftsman like that, a real shame we can't find them here in Thailand, fascinating read, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom