Memories of the Bangkok Floods 2011

Blue88

Bikes
Tiger 955i, KLR 650, Tiger Retro 110
Nongnoo called .. 'come quick darling, our apartment about to flood'. We'd lived together in Bangkok's northern district of Lak Si for two years and despite what the BBC was telling me, I could never imagine flood water reaching us.

I was in California at the time, speaking at the Cambria Horizons Unlimited meeting and thought that it was a typical example of Thai overreaction. But, being the doting boyfriend, I jumped on the first flight back to Bangkok.

No sign of flooding, but it seemed that people were preparing for the worst. Folk's unwilling to leave their homes, moving sandbags, saying prayers and hoping for the best.

The markets were already empty, no recognisable food or drinks available, only condoms and Nivea whitening cream, always good in an emergency.

I went to the font of all knowledge, the temple, and the monks told me with certainty that tomorrow, Lak Si would be swimming. I was sceptical, but who was I to doubt them?

Out in the soi's, the taxi bike riders were preparing for the worst. Plumbing pipe was in great demand and the street price of wellington boots had rocketed. Still, I didn't believe them, but stocked up on Leo and Marlboro just in case .. mai pen rai kap

Sure enough, the next morning the floods had arrived. A few inches in the morning, a good foot by mid afternoon and a veritable lake by early evening.
Back in England, we'd be crying, refusing to travel to work and blaming everybody in authority. But, this is Thailand.

Thai's have a natural ability to get on with things and over things quickly, fitting round pegs into square holes and making it seem like a perfectly natural fit. Life went on and the amazing people of Lak Si just improvised and smiled.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 233
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg