Manly > Manly Run 2014

TB-Racing

Bikes
various
MANLY >>> MANLY RUN 2014
Arrived Valentines Day 2014 in Sydney, picked up a rental BMW R1200GS-LC for basic transportation between business meetings and some relaxed cruising.
Mates offered generously to take some bikes for a while but rather get a rental (all inclusive deal like unlimited mileage / insurance, etc.) just in case an incident or accident of any sort happens...

Busy days at my favourite Northern Sydney area = Manly Beach due to the Australian Open Surfing Competition.
Manly Beach: Manly Australia – Guide to Northern Beaches Sydney Attractions, Restaurants, Accommodation

Quick lunch run up to other Northern Beaches (Sydney) for lunch and to get to know the BMW better and try out the different riding modes.
Dee Why Beach: Dee Why, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last minute errands done, roadside snacks prepared and finally getting ready to depart from Manly Beach.
Route takes me North via the Sydney - Newcastle freeway (M1/F3) to the NSW Reptile Park http://www.reptilepark.com.au (Gosford, catching up with a mate for a coffee and pork ribs lunch).

Onwards North from Gosford along the coastal Pacific Highway via The Entrance and Swansea to Newcastle (overnight as mates live in Newcastle / NSW).

Departing from Newcastle along the costal Pacific Highway heading North towards Byron Bay a stopover at the Australia National Motorcycle Museum is mandatory as usual.
Australia's largest collection of vintage, veteran, and classic motorcycles. The Museum is in Nabiac NSW, 140km north of Newcastle before Taree on the Pacific Highway.
Museum website: http://nationalmotorcyclemuseum.com.au

Of course had to buy a souvenir for my personal gas-station memorabilia collection, a Michelin "Bibendum" Statue (Detriot Car Exhibition 1918).

Up further along the Pacific Highway through Coffs Harbour / NSW (The Big Banana) and passing the Giant Prawn (Ballina / NSW).

Resting up in Byron Bay for the night. Byron Bay is a beachside town located in the far-northeastern corner of the state of New South Wales, Australia.
It is located 772 kilometres north of Sydney and 165 kilometres south of Brisbane.
Home | Byron Bay Visitor Information & Tourist Centre ? Byron Bay Accommodation and Byron Bay, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hearty breakfast at Fishheads Byron Bay.

Stopover at famous DesmoHQ Byron Bay, great bikes and the carbon wheels look great I must admit, been a few times at the shop through the years, always great to look at bikes....

There's some weird stuff at that museum at Nabiac... like about 65 Yammie XS 650's. I prefer the museum set up by friends of mine, west of Brisbane...

AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE MUSEUM - MECCA FOR MOTORCYCLISTS OF AUSTRALIA

A much higher quality of machines.... but both are certainly worth a visit.

.... and an old photo from the one at Nabiac... a V4 made out of Victa mower engines.

Crossing from New South Wales into Queensland gained an hour due to time difference between the two states and riding direction Tamborine Mountain to cruise the long way into Brisbane (QLD): Visit Brisbane | Your guide to things to see and do in Brisbane
A must stopover for pies is The Outpost Cafe: The Outpost Cafe Canungra | The Gold Coast Hinterland's Favourite Pie Shop & Cafe located in the Gold Coast Hinterland. The cafe is a very popular hangout for bikers during the weekends.
Lunch break at The Outpost Cafe to enjoy a tasty bacon - cheese - sausage roll and Bundaberg Lemon, Lime + Bitters and off again carding through the mountains

The Breakfast Creek Hotel Brisbane is arguably the most famous watering hole in Queensland and one of the most iconic in Australia.
It's more than just a venue – it's a major destination in Brisbane, popular with local, interstate and international visitors, one of the best loved in the city.
http://www.breakfastcreekhotel.com

There's some weird stuff at that museum at Nabiac... like about 65 Yammie XS 650's. I prefer the museum set up by friends of mine, west of Brisbane...

AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE MUSEUM - MECCA FOR MOTORCYCLISTS OF AUSTRALIA

A much higher quality of machines.... but both are certainly worth a visit.

A popular place to visit near Mt Tamborine is Natural Arch which is just behind the Gold Coast..

like to continue MY RIDE REPORT, do let me know and will step back, thanks, have a nice day!

like to continue MY RIDE REPORT, do let me know and will step back, thanks, have a nice day!

By all means, please continue. I wasn't aware you preferred silent deference. Please forgive my unwanted intrusion.

Leaving Brisbane (QLD) with a hearty bacon/egg roll for brekkie on the way to Warwick (QLD), Moree (NSW) and onwards to Bourke (NSW).

Quick run through the shire and Outback town of Bourke (NSW) and a few Aussie bush animals around....

Had a few hours of solid day light left in the day and continued my days journey onwards to Cobar (NSW).....

Overnight stop out at Cobar (NSW), an Outback town in central western New South Wales, Australia.
Historic Cobar has a rich copper- and gold-mining tradition and the town is approx. 712 km northwest of the NSW state capital, Sydney. It is at the crossroads of the Kidman Way and Barrier Highway. Enjoying the sunset at Fort Bourke Hill, 300 metres above sea level, great spot to view Cobar and surrounds.
From the viewing platform, you can see into the open-cut mine.

Great ride report that is bringing back memories as i have ridden most of your mentioned roads. Good thing about the ride is lack of traffic compared with Asia but how has the speed enforcement been.

Gary

Overnight stop out at Cobar (NSW), an Outback town in central western New South Wales, Australia.
Historic Cobar has a rich copper- and gold-mining tradition and the town is approx. 712 km northwest of the NSW state capital, Sydney. It is at the crossroads of the Kidman Way and Barrier Highway. Enjoying the sunset at Fort Bourke Hill, 300 metres above sea level, great spot to view Cobar and surrounds.
From the viewing platform, you can see into the open-cut mine.

Great ride report that is bringing back memories as i have ridden most of your mentioned roads. Good thing about the ride is lack of traffic compared with Asia but how has the speed enforcement been.

Love riding around the great Aussie Outback, you either love it or hate it, myself ~ can't get enough of it...
Spot on, no muppets on the road and as always very little traffic or no vehicles spotted for hours!
Well into the triple digits speed wise in the great outback, 20k’s before Cobar and and heading out is a bit dangerous due to the old copper with his radar (truckie mates warned me beforehand once again).
Due to time restraints did not ride to White Cliff Opal Fields and Cameron Corner this trip, been before and plan to go again on a upcoming Outback ride….

Cobar (NSW) to Wilcannia (NSW)...

Undies Tree

Bottle Tree

Shoe and Sneaker Tree

Doll and Stuffed Toy Tree

Lake Woytchugga is an ephemeral lake situated to the east of Wilcannia, New South Wales, Australia.
In late 2012 it became notable for the fact the dry lake bed had caught on fire...

Arrived at Broken Hill (NSW) http://www.brokenhillaustralia.com.au an isolated mining city in the far west of outback New South Wales, Australia located near the border with South Australia on the crossing of the Barrier Highway (national route 32) and the Silver City Highway (national route 79), in the Barrier Range. It is 315 m (1,033 ft) above sea level, with a hot desert climate, an average rainfall of 235 mm (9 in) and summer temperatures that reach well over 40 °C (104 °F). The closest major city is Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, which is more than 500 km (311 mi) to the southwest. Unlike the rest of New South Wales, Broken Hill (and the surrounding region) observes Australian Central Standard Time (UTC+9:30) a time zone it shares with South Australia and the Northern Territory. Broken Hill has been referred to as "The Silver City", the "Oasis of the West", and the "Capital of the Outback". Although over 1,100 km (684 mi) west of Sydney and surrounded by semi-desert, the town has prominent park and garden displays and offers a number of attractions such as the Living Desert Sculptures....

Straight to Bells Milk-Bar http://bellsmilkbar.com.au for two ice cold milkshakes after the Outback run...

TB, glad you visited my olde home town 'The Silver City' and especially pleased you discovered that wonderful Bell's Milk Bar.
Used to frequent that place back in the 50s when Mrs Bell, with her massive blonde wig, served us magnificent lime milkshakes.

In its prime (1950s and 60s) BH had a population of over 30,000 and, as a school lad, it was an excellent city in which to live.
This was mainly because the mines were so wealthy and they contributed many amenities to the city, including sports grounds,
basketball courts, swimming pools and recreation parks. What was lacking back then was schooling that went beyond what was the Leaving Certificate;
no Tertiary opportunities, so many families relocated to Adelaide for that opportunity. Excellent off-road riding in that area too.
Talk about a sentimental journey!

Then you have the border town of Cockburn (silent 'ck'!) which used to be our destination for drinks.
Why there?
Because the SA/NSW border runs through the pub and we would cross over to the SA side of the pub because SA had longer drinking hours
than NSW. Alas. I was just a lad so had to sit outside in the Austin and enjoy the lime sodas Dad would bring out to me.

TB, glad you visited my olde home town 'The Silver City' and especially pleased you discovered that wonderful Bell's Milk Bar.
Not he first time passing through the "Silver City" Broken Hill and always enjoying Bell's Milk-Bar while in town,

Excellent off-road riding in that area
Spot on, you got that right and been to White Cliff Opal Fields & Cameron Corner and beyond before.... more on this later on....

Well ~ talking about milk-bars and icecream shakes, another historic site in Broken Hill remembering the The Battle of Broken Hill otherwise known as the Broken Hill Massacre, was a fatal incident which took place near Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia on 1 January 1915.
Two men shot dead four people and wounded seven more, before being killed by police and military officers. While the attack was politically and religiously inspired, as declared by the perpetrators in notes, the men were not members of any sanctioned armed force and the attacks were criminal.
The two men were later identified as being Moslems from the British colony of India, modern day Pakistan (some sources incorrectly identify them as Turkish).
The attackers were both former camel-drivers working at Broken Hill. They were Badsha Mahommed Gool (born c. 1874), an ice-cream vendor, and Mullah Abdullah (born c. 1854, a local imam and halal butcher. Gool's ice-cream cart was well known in town and was used to transport the men to the attack site.They also fashioned a home-made Ottoman flag which they flew. There appears to have been little effort made at hiding their identities.

Battle of Broken Hill info source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Broken_Hill

Relaxed afternoon ride heading north-west out of Broken Hill. is a small village at the far west of New South Wales, Australia, 26 km's away from Broken Hill.
Famous movies were filmed in Silverton, these movie productions include Razorback, The Adventures of Priscilla - Queen of the Desert, The Flying Doctors, A Town like Alice, Dirty Deeds, Mission Impossible 2 and The Missing ...etc...etc...

Silverton = SILVERTON NSW - Visit the outback.

Out at the famous Silverton Hotel near Broken Hill (New South Wales Outback) for a quick "all the works" burger and drinks....

Historic Silverton Cemetery, a reminder of the harsh lives lived in Silverton's early years and some more random Silverton shots....

Tough times indeed.
Just wondering if you visited the Silverton jail, which is now (I've been told) a good Museum.

The Living Desert Reserve and the Broken Hill Sculptures, nestled amongst the Barrier Ranges and located approx. 9km from the City of Broken Hill...

Mundi-Mundi Plains and the famous stretch of Outback highway from the Mad Max movies...
Located about five kilometres west of Silverton, the Mundi Mundi Plains is a truly breathtaking place.
Looking out onto the expansive Mundi Mundi Plains, the view must be seen to be believed.
The wide, flat heart of the Australian outback extends seemingly forever. On a clear day the curvature of the earth can be seen....

Sunset in the Outback, always a great time of the day, some simple snack food and enjoying the free daily light show out at the Living Desert Reserve...

Offroad riding along corrugated bull dust roads ~ absolute brilliant enjoyable riding alone in the remote Aussie Outback and can't get enough of the remoteness and silence. Australia is the driest habitable continent on earth, and as a continent is subject to many different weather areas. The arid zone covers over 70% of the Australian inland. There are some very basic rules to the weather = Summer is very hot ~ Winter is mild ~ It doesn’t rain very often ~ It can rain at any time....

Departing early in the morning from Broken Hill for a run out to the Mutawintji Park.

Mutawintji, a national park in New South Wales, Australia, 878 km west of Sydney and about 130 km north-east of Broken Hill. The rugged, mulga-clad Byngnano Range is dissected by colourful gorges, rockpools and creek beds lined with red gums.
The park also protects Mutawintji Historic Site, containing one of the best collections of Australian Aboriginal Rock Art and access is only granted with a guide and none was scheduled to be in the park area during my visit, did not enter the aboriginal historic site but checked out a few trails....

Riding takes me through Mildura (Victoria), a regional city in northwestern Victoria, Australia.
Mildura is located in the Sunraysia region, and is on the banks of the Murray River.

Cruising through the famous Barossa Valley, one of Australia's oldest wine regions.
Located in South Australia, the Barossa Valley is about 56 km northeast of the city of Adelaide.
Next few days will be spent in the greater Adelaide (South Australia) area.

The Herbig Family Tree is a large, hollow red gum tree at Springton.
It is estimated to be 300 to 500 years old with a diameter of seven metres at its base and a height of 24 metres. A small stream runs nearby.

The tree was the first Australian home of 27 year old Friedrich Herbig who arrived in South Australia in 1855.
In 1858 he married 18 year old Caroline Rattey and took her to live in the tree home. The first two of their 16 children were born there.
During 1860 he built a two roomed pine and pug hut nearby, and as his family increased, built a stone cottage adjacent to the hut.

Staying in the old German settlement of Hahndorf (South Australia) for a few days as meetings over in nearby Murray Bridge.
Hahndorf is a small town in the Adelaide Hills region of South Australia. It is accessible from Adelaide, the South Australian capital, via the South Eastern Freeway.
The town was settled by Lutheran migrants largely from in and around a small village then named Kay in Prussia, many of whom were aboard the Zebra arriving on 28 December 1838.
Hahndorf is named after Dirk Meinhertz Hahn, captain of the Zebra. It is Australia's oldest surviving German settlement.
German influence is very apparent in Hahndorf and is seen physically in the traditional fachwerk architecture of the original surviving buildings.
There are also many restaurants in the town serving German cuisine.
Hahndorf in South Australia = http://hahndorfsa.org.au

Great photo TB.

i-jg9STVG-L.jpg

And '2wheels' is now officially homesick!

Hanhndorf to Murray Bridge (South Australia) round trip, different landscape just down the highway....

Heading into Adelaide for a look around one afternoon via Mt.Lofty, great view from the Adelaide Hills over the city of Adelaide...

Adelaide Shores for lunch, great beaches and beautiful weather with a nice wind coming in from the ocean.....

Adelaide Ducati dealership with one of my dream bikes (D16RR) for sale and a beautiful autographed 1098 on display....

Back
Top Bottom