Luggage racks for Kawasaki Versys

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
This custom rack is an excellent design and well thought out. It started out too long & too high with the forward mounting fixing points too far forward on the bike.

View attachment 14953

A few modifications to the original rack frame making it shorter and lower and everything looks much better

View attachment 14954

A lot of overhang, i'm told a Pelican brand top case will sit forward on the rack with an area behind it free for carrying additional items.

View attachment 14955

Looks like 4 studs and the whole rack assembly is removed, pretty neat set up for big trips.

I have it powdercoated now to match the other satin black bits done on the bike by Richco Powdercoating in Chiangmai. Same day turnaround as I am off to Laos tomorrow on a 10 day trip

The case is a B&W model 55 Outdoor case bought in the USA for 105.00 and hand carried over using it as the luggage. This is a "Pelican" type case and the same one used by Caribou as their 34 liter top box. I choose this one primarily because I want a top box big enough to hold my helmet, gloves, and jacket when using the bike as a shopping cart around town.

The second phase of the luggage project is to pick up some Pelican Storm cases (116.00 USD ea.) when in Canada this summer and mount them as panniers on Happy Trails racks, or similar local racks tied into this top rack.
The Seahorse 720 cases (70.00 USD ea.) are another good pannier choice and the same width as the bars for lane splitting although a bit shallow for gear holding
The Pelican Storms are one of the pannier choices offered by Caribou. Caribou makes great gear but by the time it gets here the cost is 75% more and it is not difficult to do it my way if you are a Cheap Charlie

The top box is mounted in the pillion position as I never carry a passenger and do not want the weight hanging off behind the rear axle. Hopefully my increasing bulk will shield the top box from the wind and not make the bike unstable - time will tell.
The disadvantage is that the top box needs to be removed via 4 bolts in order to remove the seat
Rack cost 5000 B (166.00 USD) plus powdercoating

I am undecided if the rear overhang is too large and will take it to Laos as is and maybe cut it a bit shorter when I get back. There will be sufficient luggage capacity in either case and the overhang is to strap on something light or hold an emergency case of beer. It is down to esthetics, and I would appreciate comments

Pics to follow

the more I look the more I think it needs cropped at the rear

Note the new side filler panels and beak. I am undecided about the beak and think that I will just go with the side fillers alone. Red or black?

Depends on what you think your are going to carry on the rear part but in my opinion you should chop of a bit and leave 3 sideholes instead of the 4 it has now.

I like the beak, first time I have seen one..

Excellent job Rob, as usual everything you do looks very professional and well thought out.

Never sent from an I-Phone

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Bike Talk 6
KTMphil Bike Talk 18
KTMphil Bike Talk 1
KTMphil Bike Talk 17
KTMphil Bike Talk 0
Back
Top Bottom