Loop North of the Samoeng Loop

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Loop North of the Samoeng Loop

This is a great ride north of the Samoeng loop, there are some pot holes & a small unmade section, which is a small price to pay for the superb curves

6206831021_5583fb0bfe_b.jpg

I had a crash judging this sandy corner badly, no damage except the DRZ SM wouldn't start afterwards.

6207358734_b05189a5b1_b.jpg

It wouldn't fire and i had convinced myself that is was a fuel delivery/ carb related issue and was ready to pay 1,000 bht to the next farm pickup driver to take me and the bike back to Chiang Mai.

One of the guys rising with us had a look in the electric loom and found a broken wire, connecting the broken wire back together and it started 1st time, i would never have found it, easy to make the wrong diagnosis.

I had stupidly forgotten to bring a knife, another one of our riding group used his strong teeth to strip the wire so there was enough copper ends to twist together.

6207426568_67394ac06e_b.jpg

We all hope thats what the picture shows !!

Is this the way that goes up past the hmong lodge and down a slope with a vietnamese (or chinese) property development of pagoda style buildings..

sounds good, will try the loop soon. thanks for informations.

Just a brief update that the last stretch of unpaved road between Na Faan and Tung Ting has been paved except a very short section west of the bridge past the turnoff to Mae Phae. (That east approach to Mae Phae is also mostly paved where as the west approach from Tung Ting is not) So now the entire north Sameong loop is accessible for street bikes of all persuasions. But I would reccomend taking the road north from Mae Sap at the Samoeng Resort intersection back up to Baan Pa and then back up to Mae Khii. Or better yet take the back road from Mae Pok up to Pong Khai, a section that is not paved but is usually in good condition and well maintained.

Good info - thanks Jphpa

Johpa said:
Just a brief update that the last stretch of unpaved road between Na Faan and Tung Ting has been paved except a very short section west of the bridge past the turnoff to Mae Phae. (That east approach to Mae Phae is also mostly paved where as the west approach from Tung Ting is not) So now the entire north Sameong loop is accessible for street bikes of all persuasions. But I would reccomend taking the road north from Mae Sap at the Samoeng Resort intersection back up to Baan Pa and then back up to Mae Khii. Or better yet take the back road from Mae Pok up to Pong Khai, a section that is not paved but is usually in good condition and well maintained.

I got lost on that road on my ER6N when I first arrived here. I was just trying to do the Sameong loop but went past the turn off and ended up in Samoeng itself which I thought it would do. 60k's out, running low on fuel and not seeing any signs I decided to stop and ask some locals how to get to Chiang Mai, they sent me back to Samoeng....Good to see it does actually connect back, I thought it would eventually!

Back
Top Bottom