Long term Bike storage in Cambodia

genki

Hi,

I will be riding my Thai registered motoribke in Cambodia in Jan 2013 for 2 weeks and considering the option of storing the bike in Cambodia for several months.

Does anyone know any secure place to store the bike, anywhere in Cambodia?

Thanks

I might be able to find out for you, will ask around next week.. I at least know who might know.

The issue is also trust, how valuable is the machine your leaving ??

just keep your bike at Flying bikers shop at phnom penh 012-782897 Mr Yoong,

hv nice stay in combodia..

I recently rode around 5,200km through Thailand, Cambodia, and Viet Nam. I rode my own Honda CBR250 in the first two countries, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get it into Viet Nam, since they generally won't allow you to bring anything over 175cc into the country unless you're welded to a tour guide, or know who to bribe (at least that's what I understand). So I opted to store my bike in Phnom Penh, take a bus to HCMC, and rented a bike to ride to Ha Noi. I followed this post's advice, and contacted Mr. Yung, but he runs a sushi shop now, not a motorcycle shop. He referred me to this shop, run by a friend of his, Tai. Tai and Eng run a big bike shop, but it's very, VERY hard to find (my tuk-tuk driver had to phone 3 times to find it), but I think it's on 598, north of Kampuchea Krom. Tai met me at the sushi shop, took my bike, did a bunch of work on it (including installing a switch so I could turn the damn lights off while I was in Cambodia!), and kept it for a month. He wanted to charge me $49, but I told him he was nuts and gave him $90. He didn't seem to mind. Tai's not big on paperwork—I never actually received a paper acknowledgement that he had my bike, but he was entirely trustworthy, that is, when I returned to Phnom Penh, there was my bike. On top of having a very fine shop and doing good work, he's one of the nicest guys I've met in a very long time. Speaks English pretty well.

IMG.jpg

Good find - Thanks for posting that

I recently rode around 5,200km through Thailand, Cambodia, and Viet Nam. I rode my own Honda CBR250 in the first two countries, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get it into Viet Nam, since they generally won't allow you to bring anything over 175cc into the country unless you're welded to a tour guide, or know who to bribe (at least that's what I understand). So I opted to store my bike in Phnom Penh, take a bus to HCMC, and rented a bike to ride to Ha Noi. I followed this post's advice, and contacted Mr. Yung, but he runs a sushi shop now, not a motorcycle shop. He referred me to this shop, run by a friend of his, Tai. Tai and Eng run a big bike shop, but it's very, VERY hard to find (my tuk-tuk driver had to phone 3 times to find it), but I think it's on 598, north of Kampuchea Krom. Tai met me at the sushi shop, took my bike, did a bunch of work on it (including installing a switch so I could turn the damn lights off while I was in Cambodia!), and kept it for a month. He wanted to charge me $49, but I told him he was nuts and gave him $90. He didn't seem to mind. Tai's not big on paperwork—I never actually received a paper acknowledgement that he had my bike, but he was entirely trustworthy, that is, when I returned to Phnom Penh, there was my bike. On top of having a very fine shop and doing good work, he's one of the nicest guys I've met in a very long time. Speaks English pretty well.

View attachment 16792

Hi all,

Very new at this, and would appreciate any wisdom on the following scenario

Please feel free correct me on any of below

During the next while, I will be visiting Cambodia/Thailand for periods less than a month

When I begin to live there, I will buy a new bike (the new BMW's coming out of Rayong look ok)

But in the meantime I would like to have my old fave there for transport

And it would seem that from this and other sites, the most cost-efficient Indo-Chinese country in which to import your favourite owned bike is Cambodia (40% of value in import fees).

So for a bike worth, say $3000 AUD/USD, being legal in Cambodia means that the bike would owe you about $5K after shipping (from Oz), import fees and rego.

Which, as far as I can see, would seem to be damn-sight cheaper than buying an equivalent over there.

And seeing as I would like to do most of my riding in Thailand, this would mean getting a TIB for Thai trips, with storage in between in Cambodia. Not ideal, but workable.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Laos would be better for me; does anyone know how bike import and rego works in Laos?

Thanx

Correction...make that that the bike would owe me $6K.................

Some of the Cambodian bike importers might have, or be able to get, what you want.
Here's one for example

OUR PRODUCTS

I've only had a quote from them, never used them.

It would pay to do a vin number check before parting with cash. Some of these imports may have been picked up from salvage auctions in the States etc, I would guess.

Importing a bike as a one-off is fairly costly at the Cambodian end. Around $800 to $1000 in broker and port fees. Import tax is extra.
For used bikes, Cambodian Customs calculate the import tax based on year of manufacture and engine size.
I dont have the list, but I know a 2007 Ducati GT1000 (992cc) has a Cambo Customs book value of ~$1300 and import tax is ~$500

If you bring in a bike from Oz, registered in your name, then it might be cheaper to bring it in on Temporary import thru Thailand or Malaysia. KTMPhil knows more about that.
Cambodia doesn't have a temporary import system for bikes AFAIK.

Thanx Bill,

"A 2007 992c Ducati book value is approx $1300"; why so low?

Not sure why so low. They still fetch $8-12k in the US and Oz.
Anyway, the 39.15% import tax makes up for it in the bottom line.
Similar to charging 10% tax on a $10k book value...

If your going to be touring around.. Why locally reg.. Keep it on home plates and tour..

Reg is for longer / permanent stay.. In which case yes Cambo provides the cheapest solution but I wouldnt put much faith in any number published online, Cambo doesnt really run by the books.

You could store your bike with Junglecross in Koh Kong, its a bike /tour rental run by Nick an english guy 5 minutes from the Southern Thai/Cambodia border

You could store your bike with Junglecross in Koh Kong, its a bike /tour rental run by Nick an english guy 5 minutes from the Southern Thai/Cambodia border

Met him in PP and was told he is trustable and reliable by someone whose opinion I would give weight to.

Its not unheard of for bikes stored with Khmer companies to disappear !!

If your going to be touring around.. Why locally reg.. Keep it on home plates and tour..

Reg is for longer / permanent stay.. In which case yes Cambo provides the cheapest solution but I wouldnt put much faith in any number published online, Cambo doesnt really run by the books.

Yep, or just buy an adequate road bike here for the interim, then sell it when you're ready to buy the new Beemer.
You wont lose more on the exchange than what it costs to import.
Furthermore, if you sold the bike you brought in on temp import, the new owner would have to pay a fixer to get the tax sorted on it. Therefore you wouldn't get much for it.

Yep, or just buy an adequate road bike here for the interim, then sell it whe

n you're ready to buy the new Beemer.
You wont lose more on the exchange than what it costs to import.
Furthermore, if you sold the bike you brought in on temp import, the new owner would have to pay a fixer to get the tax sorted on it. Therefore you wouldn't get much for it.

Thanx for the update fellas, good food for thought.

Just a quick one Bill, on your figures you could land your 10kAUD 2007 Ducati GT1000 in Cambo for about 4.5kAUD (freight+receiving port fees+import tax), so the bike owes you 15K. Could you buy an equivalent bike for that over there? (One that has Cambo rego I mean)

Thanx for the update fellas, good food for thought.

Just a quick one Bill, on your figures you could land your 10kAUD 2007 Ducati GT1000 in Cambo for about 4.5kAUD (freight+receiving port fees+import tax), so the bike owes you 15K. Could you buy an equivalent bike for that over there? (One that has Cambo rego I mean)

No, the local importers aren't bringing in GT1000's. It's hard enough finding a good low mi one in the States.
There's no market for them in Cambo.
If you want more info on the import process/fees in general, send me a pm. We're getting a bit off subject here.

I was just thinking that if you want the bike you like, you may have to import it. Finding a similar bike over ther doesnt sound so easy (for a reasonable price I mean). Is there any bike that would come close to a Duke GT1000 over there? How much would it cost?

I was just thinking that if you want the bike you like, you may have to import it. Finding a similar bike over ther doesnt sound so easy (for a reasonable price I mean). Is there any bike that would come close to a Duke GT1000 over there? How much would it cost?

What bike are you thinking of importing ?

Just an old BMW K100RS, worth about $4kAUD, could land it in Cambo for 1500 freight + 2k import costs, would owe me about 7.5k, I'm not seeing any similar bike in Thai or Cambo for that price, am I missing something?

Must admit, I've never seen a K100RS in Cambodia. There's a few GS650's getting around. Saw a clean early 2000's one for sale recently for ~$4500. Another GS650 on Ozzy plates went for $2500 since the new owner had to get the tax sorted.

Big heavy tour bike..

I have a Cambodian registered LC4 I will be looking to sell late this year... Still need to work on sorting out a few Khmer service issues (bodges)..

Yeah well Bill, I think you got me, it will be easier to adapt to a bike from over there, and forget about being sentimental. Thanx 4 your help on this one

A 100RS a big heavy tour bike? Nah...... that's a Goldwing or an obese Harley, I reckon. The BM is an old big sport bike: they use to race 'em at the Isle of Man!

Yeah well Bill, I think you got me, it will be easier to adapt to a bike from over there, and forget about being sentimental. Thanx 4 your help on this one

Brooza, plenty of fellow bike sentimentalists here.
I've got a 1977 R100S in storage at a mates place in Oz. Bought it in 1980.
I did consider importing it to Cambodia, but decided for sentimental reasons it belonged in Oz.

Welcome Tony ;)

Back
Top Bottom