Local (CM) flowing trails ??

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
Had a good ride out last week with Lew but as it seems I may have house guests this Friday, looking to try to squeeze in another day early in the week.

Suggestions sought for some decent trails locally that are more open and flowing.. Single track is obviously fine (desired really), love stuff like the bamboo trail, just not looking to go rock climbing on the YZ yet, so no last man standing or the uber rough bit of death valley etc. Building skills and confidence rather than damaging man or machine is the order of the day.

Dont mind driving a bit to the trail head either now the trailer setup is sorted. Could be as far as Samoeng or Mae Rim edges to get started, but closer is better. Otherwise I may just HTT and Suthep it for a day, theres still enough trails there I havent been around.

LivinLOS said:
Had a good ride out last week with Lew but as it seems I may have house guests this Friday, looking to try to squeeze in another day early in the week.

Suggestions sought for some decent trails locally that are more open and flowing.. Single track is obviously fine (desired really), love stuff like the bamboo trail, just not looking to go rock climbing on the YZ yet, so no last man standing or the uber rough bit of death valley etc. Building skills and confidence rather than damaging man or machine is the order of the day.

Dont mind driving a bit to the trail head either now the trailer setup is sorted. Could be as far as Samoeng or Mae Rim edges to get started, but closer is better. Otherwise I may just HTT and Suthep it for a day, theres still enough trails there I havent been around.

From Mae Rim, SW around the mountain to the turtle track would be what your looking for and the turtle track to the Hmong village - you could even have a go at the hill climb challenge on that route. You could do the "easy way" down to R 1269 too.

Haven`t done it but the dirt trails from Samoeng heading towards Pai looked fairly flowing from a trip report i saw on here.

Think I want to save those for an over nighter or even two so we could explore up there a bit.

Not a bad idea but running out of time for that with rainy season not too far away.

True.. Maybe I am naive but I am almost looking forward to getting a bit muddy..

KTMphil said:
That YZ bomb will just spin in the mud!

Dunno man.. Finding it a lot more tractable than I expected.. Sure its got a major powerband and it wants to get on song.. But what I was most worried about, that the throttle would be too binary and just on or off isnt the case.. Theres plenty of throttle control and I just have to learn to use it.

I am actually thinking the YZ is going to make a decent enough machine to grow into, its never going to be a trials cliff climber and its not ideal for lugging slow, but I prefer that riding anyway. Gearing changes helped, and mostly its the rider that needs to improve not the machine. Overall pretty happy with it. Its much easier to ride than the WR for me.

Only been on greasy surface with my KDX and not full on mud. But it only takes the back to break loose a little under power and it hits the power band fairly quick and spins up and makes things a little awkward.
4T low down torque,subtle power delivery and the extra weight makes them much more tractable/controllable in those conditions.

Will be avoiding mud me thinks!

Sefton - Park at the 700 year stadium, ride the flowing singletrack to Huey Thung Thao. Go round the lake until you get to the dirt road cutoff on the east side of the lake. Go up the hill, past the guard shack towards Doi Sutthep on that. Halfway up you come to a fireroad going right, take the right and it will come out onto the trail we call Soi 1. Head down the hill on Soi 1 and you come out north of the X center a few Km's. Head down the road and keep your eye out for signs leading to the Sala Cafe. its a right up another 1/2 KM or so. Have lunch there and reverse it coming back. Easy, fun and flowing without being boring and the lunch at Sala cafe is nice and friendly. with fans and up high for any breezes to keep you cool.

bigntall said:
Sefton - Park at the 700 year stadium, ride the flowing singletrack to Huey Thung Thao. Go round the lake until you get to the dirt road cutoff on the east side of the lake. Go up the hill, past the guard shack towards Doi Sutthep on that. Halfway up you come to a fireroad going right, take the right and it will come out onto the trail we call Soi 1. Head down the hill on Soi 1 and you come out north of the X center a few Km's. Head down the road and keep your eye out for signs leading to the Sala Cafe. its a right up another 1/2 KM or so. Have lunch there and reverse it coming back. Easy, fun and flowing without being boring and the lunch at Sala cafe is nice and friendly. with fans and up high for any breezes to keep you cool.

The Sala Cafe Jurgens brother's place isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom