Large plantation farms in Cambodia--anybody seen one?

Constantine Phaulkon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12152759 - Exhibit A - 12 January 2011 - large and arguably illegal plantations in Cambodia causing controversy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17980399 - Exhibit B - 7 May 2012 (1 year later...the wheels of justice move slowly)

Large land grants in Cambodia lead to illegal logging and evictions of villagers say the above. Since this is a motorcycle forum and not a political forum, let me limit the thread to whether anybody has seen one of these large "plantations" while visiting Cambodia. Are they well marked by fences? Or is it just some guy with an AK-47 standing by a gated road who shoos you away if you inquiry too much or try to ride on their land?

Reading the local press a local well known activist just got shot.. He refused to delete images he had taken and was killed.

A few weeks ago I was up to the Kampong cheam, Kratie routes.. And there you see huge rubber plantations, but if these are sole owned by huge concessions, or simply owner operator farmers (who it would seem get a hell of a return per annum per acre.. Rubber prices same as thailand but land cost far far less) I have no way of knowing. Went past some large processing places in spots but again, just a outsiders eye, no real knowledge of who owns what.

Certainly in south Thailand you can see far larger areas commercially planted, rubber, date palms, etc.. The issue seems to be the shady way in which hun sen handed concessions get passed out and then protected. Life is cheap in Cambo and arguing against the powers that be highly risky. I doubt that extends to lost riders who have no vested interest in the issue. If someone with a gun says leave, I would leave.

Plantations in Cambodia

I have lived and worked in Cambodia for nearly 20 years and have seen lots of change. This includes the advent of large AGRO companies developing BIG farms. I was in Kompong Spue last week, in the far north west passed Kantout on the route towards Amleang. There are several large sugar cane operations involving maybe 1000 hectars and a big processing plant. I had no problem riding my bike in and around the farms. I am polite, speak fluent Khmer, and stop to chit chat with labourers, drivers, guards, and bosses. Being nice goes a long way here.

Being nice does not always guarantee entry though. I have been stopped and denied entry across new rubber plantations in Mondulkiri, Kratie, and Kompong Thom provinces. I find that Khmer owned projects and usually not a problem. Chinese and Vietnamese owned projects usually are. They don't like strangers or surprises.

Be nice, be polite, be gone if they tell you to leave. There is no benefit to arguing, since the guard at the gate is not the policy maker. He is just the order follower.

Welcome aboard. Was it you I met in PP last October or so... I met someone working on a 990 while my 525 was across the road at another bike shop? We discussed your 990 as being your "company vehicle"

Yup, that's me. Doing alright yourself?

Welcome aboard. Was it you I met in PP last October or so... I met someone working on a 990 while my 525 was across the road at another bike shop? We discussed your 990 as being your "company vehicle"

Yes thanks. Heading back to Siem Reap to pick up my KTM third week of April. Will head back to Chiang Mai with it. Not sure of the track to take yet.

Back
Top Bottom