Laos The In's & Out's to Long Cheng (Tieng) Lima Site 20A

cheers for that update `Pounce ..
will be keeping an eye on this situation ...
looking to travel their in April ..

chances of it blowing over by then ?

Special Thank You to bsacbob for this fine thread and pics. Also thanks to KTMphil for input. I have read this with great interest.

Is it perhaps a good time to go to Long Chen in November or December to avoid the heat and rain?

Cheers

430xc

The place i walked around was was typical two storey flat roofed seventies style place still intact, located behind the market i never had a camera to take pictures, it was all locked up but was told it was VP's place, the place on the hill i was told was the royal residence so who knows for sure.

I had a photo of it but it was deleted by the police when I was detained at Sam Thong on the way out. Lost about 30 shots... but retained most.

Crappy phone panorama from up at the former King's residence... the now army base that Phil went up to

Re: Laos The In's & Out's to Long Cheng (Tieng) Lima Site 20A

His house was being occupied by what was apparently a Vietnamese army MIA team when I was there late last year.

- - - Updated - - -

His house was being occupied by what was apparently a Vietnamese army MIA team when I was there late last year.

Special Thank You to bsacbob for this fine thread and pics. Also thanks to KTMphil for input. I have read this with great interest.

Is it perhaps a good time to go to Long Chen in November or December to avoid the heat and rain?

Cheers

430xc

I was last there in November last year, since then there has been several shooting incidents in and around the area and it's currently closed to visitors and the situation has worsened in the last few day's i am sorry to say.

This is the only picture i have of Vang Pao's house.

2015-11-14 08.54.55 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

An "Air America" photo from a friend today

aa.jpg

I remember Porter 99X from my days up at Ban Houei Sai, L-25, with USAID 1969-'70. About once a month or two, usually after Thai payday, 99X would bop into the small airfield in back of Chiang Khong, T-516. The Thai officials, or AirAm ground folks, would come over to BHS for some shopping, wine, French shirts, sounds something like "mongsakul," cigarettes, etc. Happy shoppers, lots cheaper than back at C. Mai, and "duty free" import when they got back.

Mac

Pilatus PC-6C/H-2 N199X 601 19 Aug. 66 N199X of Fairchild Hiller
Corp., Rockville, MD;
ordered via Air Asia,
Tainan
Service history: was to arrive in South East Asia in March 66 (Aircraft status as of 1
Nov. 65, in: UTD/Kirkpatrick/B1F1); Garrett powered (Minutes ExCom-
AACL/AAM of 27 April 66, in: UTD/CIA/B8F1); the Garrett conversion was made
by Pilatus at Stans; was supposed to depart Stans about 9 July 66, to be assigned as a
spare aircraft (Aircraft status as of 4 May 66, in: UTD/Hickler/B1F2); officially
acquired by Air America on 31 August 66 (List "Accumulated costs as of 31 Dec.
67", in: UTD/CIA/B40F8); a photo is preserved in: UTD/Hickler/B28; had an
unknown accident in the mid-60ies and was airlifted by UH-34D H-45; repaired
(photos can be found in: UTD/Hickler/B28, and Lundh, Sikorsky H-34, p. 127); on 5
January 68, a person of the Royal Thai Border Police walked into the propeller of
N199X at Ban Mu Sae Wa (T-553), Thailand, and was seriously injured (XOXO of 5
Jan. 68, in: UTD/Hickler/B25F8); assigned to contract AID-493-66 for use out of
Chiang Mai (T-11) in May 68 as a basic aircraft (Aircraft status as of 1 May 68, in:
UTD/Herd/B2); on 12 July 68, an indigenous man walked into the still rotating
propeller at San Kham Lea (T-550), Thailand, and was seriously injured (XOXO of
12 July 68, in: UTD/Hickler/B25F14); still assigned to that contract 16-30 June 69
and 16-31 August 69 (F.O.C. of 15 June 69, in: UTD/Hickler/B8F7B; F.O.C. of 15
August 69, in: UTD/Hickler/B1F1); current on 1 July 70 (Leary, The aircraft of Air
America, p. 20); a photo was published in: Air America Log, vol. IV, no. 7, 1970, p. 7.
Fate: hit a tree, crashed into a forest and was destroyed by fire on Doi Suthep
mountain, Chiang Mai Province, some 12 kms WNW of Chiang Mai (T-11), on 20
April 71, while laying telephone cables from the air under the provisions of contract
AID-493-66; 3 people on board - PIC J. F. Smith and two passengers - were injured
(XOXO of 20 April 71: UTD/Hickler/B25F11; Accident report, in: UTD/Anthony/F4;
List "Aircraft destroyed or lost", in: UTD/CIA/B49F2; a photo is preserved in:
UTD/Anthony/F6); deregistration was requested on 16 June 71 (Letter by Clyde S.
Carter dated 16 June 71, in: UTD/CIA/B15F1).

Back
Top Bottom