Laos from south to North (that's the plan)

Reddo

Bikes
HondaCB500X
Hi,

I'm heading off in two weeks or so through Cambodia and into Laos from the South (Veun Kham). I plan on heading north on Highway 13 to Vientianne then, Luang Prabang and finally, Luang Namtha and back into Thailand at Chiang Rai. My main concern is about the condition of roads in northern Laos; I've heard they could get a bit slippery or are dirt in stretches and I only have road tyres on my bike which don't handle dirt very well.

Does anyone know if the roads are good enough for road tyres? Also, is there anything worth checking out betweern Thakhek and Vientienne on H13? Finally, does anyone know if the border crossing into Laos is hassle free?

Cheers,

Reddo

Last edited:
Hallo Reddo, how arge you doing so far with your road tyres? We just arrived in Thailand 2,5 Werks ago and our plan is to cross into Laos end of next week at Savannaket. We were riding 2012 form North to South and the roads have been fine (main roads) ...sorry for my writing, bu this tablet and the automatic word Programm, which tries toreplace English words into German ones is terrible ?

Hallo Reddo, how arge you doing so far with your road tyres? We just arrived in Thailand 2,5 Werks ago and our plan is to cross into Laos end of next week at Savannaket. We were riding 2012 form North to South and the roads have been fine (main roads) ...sorry for my writing, bu this tablet and the automatic word Programm, which tries toreplace English words into German ones is terrible ?

Hi there,

I completed my trip in January but I didn't get to the east where you want to go because I was warned that I wouldn't get across the border fromThailand in the eastern provinces. So I entered Laos through Chiang Rai. The road going to Luang Namtha was a bit sketchy mainly due to huge Chinese trucks belting through a small 2 lane road. However, the bike and road tyres handled it fine! I don't think you will have any problems in and around Savannakhet..

Happy travels

Reddo

Think you will have problems for sure crossing at Savannakhet.....

Think you will have problems for sure crossing at Savannakhet.....

Yes, that is the problem - as far as I know the only entry point is through Chiang Rai. Possibly you could get through from Cambodia but would probably need a Visa from Phnom Phet before trying to enter from crossing near stung treng..

Yes, that is the problem - as far as I know the only entry point is through Chiang Rai. Possibly you could get through from Cambodia but would probably need a Visa from Phnom Phet before trying to enter from crossing near stung treng..

That should read Phnom Phen

Weill, we will just try and if they do not want any tourist travellers on mototbikes any more, than that is how it is. We are happy that we could do everything about 7 years ago with our German registered bikes without ans Problems.:D

Ok... we checked on the boarder from Mukdahan-Savannaketh. All our documents seem to be ok, but crossing the bridge is not allowed for any motorcycle at all ....only for cars, buses,trucks. But you have the possibility,that you put your bike on a pick up for 1500 THB and cr ossing then with your bike. This is a matter on your plans and calculation with Visa etc. They told us the next possibility to ride the bike across the boarder would be Nong Khai-Vientianne. We will Keep you updated

As far as i know, if you cross at Nong Khai you have to be a minimum of 6 riders and you are then classed as a tour and need to pay around 1,500 baht each for the privilege.

Back
Top Bottom