KTM valve shims

crs

Bikes
KTM 250 EXC-F
Looks like I need to re-shim as valve clearances are out... Are shims manufacturer/model specific or? (Guess they are - but worth asking!) Any suggestions on a local (faster) source so I don't have to wait for a US or UK order, appreciated. Ta.

Yes they are model specific, you need 9.48mm, some of the Thai mechanics that work on dirt bikes might have them around. They are the most common size for dirtbikes Honda, Yammy and Suzuki and Kawa use them too so should be easy to find.

Typically my CRF used 7.48mm so they wont fit!

Surprised the valves are out on a new bike though?

I think that Harley ones fit too, don't they?

Cheers for the tips.

Yep, I expected them to be in range, but I rechecked and rechecked(and reFKing checked) and some are out... It was dark and I was struggling to see exactly what I was doing, so will be at it again this morning. Just hope I can manage it without getting the engine out.

There's already been the odd thing out on this bike I wouldn't have expected so far... Well, guess it pays to learn your way around at the start - just hope I don't fk anything while doing so! (My little KLX was piss easy re. maintenance simplicity and schedule - compare to this. E.g., it had adjustable valve clearance.)

Looking through eTicket's guide here (350 but should be roughly the same) OMRA Message Board - View topic - 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F Wee Beasty: Checking/Adj Valve Clearances Valve clearances on his bike were all out.

Sure makes a mockery of the KTM "ready to race" tag.

I probably wouldnt have checked and just rode it.

Phew... With the benefit of good light, just managed to squeeze in feelers to match requirements...

Spec is: intake=0.10-0.15mm (me is L=0.15, R=0.13); exhaust=0.12-0.17mm (me is L=0.13, R=0.12).

Better if my numbers were middle-of-range, but not going to do the extra messing if I don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom