KTM - timing/cam chain tensioner problems

yeah,thought it a bit strange only the one valve was damaged.

Hope they get it right for you.

I guess I'll doing something similar when the topend is due for an overhaul on the 500, and again when the bottom end/top end is due.
I'm yet to research it, but documenting the contents of the EMS package with the Post office might avoid tax when it returns.
If so, that would allow one to insure the contents for the full replacement amount, instead of a lowball value to avoid tax.

Yes, i'm not too sure how it all works re. tax and purchase of services rather than goods... But my main concern is just that the thing gets there and back to me without being nicked.

EDIT: I had to declare its value for Customs at the Post Office as didn't want to play games with US Customs (imagine they are thorough and wouldn't appreciate BS) so guessed at a rough number to cover replacement of BB kit, cylinder, head, cams, etc. and efi... (75k.thb.) I have no idea about US import tax, but hope it is 0% for this kind of thing. Just said it was used motorcycle parts going for repair. (Hopefully engine combustion internals won't be restricted from air cargo!)

You need to have its outbound postage pre approved and recorded (so CNX told me when discussing YZ engine bits posted) with customs or you will get the full tax value coming in.. If you pre approve BEFORE posting out, you only pay tax on the work done (which can be fudged).

I had the same shit when I sent a multi 1000 USD projector out of Thailand for a warranty repair.. They wanted 1000's of USD when it came back in despite it not costing me a dime.

I'll get my girl to give Mae Sai Customs a call tomorrow morning...

Yes, you need to take the stuff to a Customs office first, who check things and give a letter to go with the parcel that is referenced as it leaves Thailand - this reference can then be checked on the way back in somehow. (Can't send this reference letter on its own as it needs to be with the parcel.) Apparently, if you use DHL (maybe other freight businesses too) they take care of this stuff for you. Unfortunately, the Post Office don't - or even seem to know about this stuff.

If I can manage to divert the returning parcel so Mae Sai Customs deal with it instead of BKK Customs, I might get things taken care of OK... Alternatively, I have to just BS about value on the Customs declaration and pay whatever is due as if I'd bought stuff new. :roll:

CRS - If its going back to Thumper and you want the 300 barrel he can send you the whole barrel with the sleeve installed. That's what I did. Good on you for giving him the head to rework. I had my 525 head cut for Stainless steel valves over here by the best gent in CNX. They ended up cutting the seats too deep and impeding the air flow. Ended up sending it to DJH on KTMtalk to redo. Good quality performance machine work over here is sadly lacking. I've got 85 hours on my 2011 250 head (same as yours) and have only had to adjust two valves once. These model motors from 2008-2013 are pretty bulletproof from everything I've read and experienced, sorry to see you get one that came up short.

Virtually everything from the cylinder up has gone to them - inc' the 300 kit I bought from them previously. So, it should come back all installed. They can rebore the cylinder and fit the BB sleeve, machine/press to fit a new valve guide, check over all the the valve train - re-shim if necessary, etc.

Yes, I didn't want to have a hard time trying to get things sorted over here and then not be sure things were done right. They've said it'll only take them 5-7 working days to do the work so hopefully I'll have everything back before too long. This nice weather is annoying though!

Stuff's got lost in the post - no tracking updates since cleared BKK on the 11th.

Thailand P.O. have flight numbers it went out on - called USPS, they have nothing on any of their systems. (Told me to start an enquiry from this end.)

No insurance as was told at C.R. p.o. they couldn't do with EMS... Great.

Maybe it'll just turn up - but doesn't look promising. I'd guess any enquiry won't be quick to get a definitive 'lost' on either, which I'll have to wait for before I can replace lost parts.

Balls.

So, a note... I know DHL, etc. are bad for extra charges when stuff comes back into Thailand, but think using them for this kind of thing would be better. (DHL and Fedex only have branches in CM though - not CR.)

Remind me not to stand too close to you when it's lightning. You must be the unluckiest new KTM owner ever!

I'm sure it will turn up Chris, tracking numbers I have used in the past have often not worked.

^ Yes...

Unless it's been held up by the supposed air freighters (Air Eva) or it's somehow got into the US without being scanned, I reckon it's been nicked. I told them what it was worth when I was asking about insurance at the p.o. - so that's what got written on the Customs declaration. Maybe not a good thing...

F knows what has happened to it. I'll be down the posty tomorrow and will call T.racing on the night, when they open.

I dont know about T/land, but USA to Cambodia via EMS usually takes ~7-10 days. I assume it would take the same time the other way round, Cambodia to USA.
Once it leaves the US, there's no tracking info until it arrives in Cambodia customs. No updates on weekends .
You sent it on the 11th, todays the 20th and a weekend, I'd say don't panic yet.

I`ve had things come from USPS take 3 up to 4 weeks,also no tracking. I know reverse situation but....

I wouldn`t give up just yet.

With both EMS and USPS Priority Mail Express International there is tracking (and I have checked with both Thailand EMS and USPS internal systems too - which have more info that updates faster then customers can access themselves online).

Although I won't write it off 100% for a few weeks yet, something isn't right - and I'll lay odds it's gone missing if no news from anywhere by Tuesday morning.

C'est la vie.

Using EMS from Thailand I have often found the tracking just stops.. Then you get a final delivery one..

Thats both to the UK and to Cambo.

Well, you lot were right - it has just cleared LA sort facility. I am surprised after what USPS told me on the phone - I thought it was a gonna... Yay! :p Thank fk for that.

EDIT: I guess it was the air freighters causing the delay...

Good job I did send it to Thumper as, when they checked, all the other valves and guides were somewhat damaged too and so needed replacing - which I would have probably skipped if sorting myself locally - and that would surely have lead to the same thing happening again, someday.

Valve train repaired, BB done, efi remapped, head ported and now it all can finally start heading back my way... Thankfully - as I'm really missing getting out on my bike now the weather is good.

Wow sounds like an expensive repair bill coming your way Chris.

Wow sounds like an expensive repair bill coming your way Chris.

Yes. If I could go back in time to the KTM factory, slap the back of the guys head putting the top-end together and point my finger at the valve guides, I would...

No cheaper way that I could repair it - and trust the work - unfortunately. The porting job was a mistake so getting that for free though - which is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom