KTM 390 Duke review

But is the Nepal / China Tibet border even open for vehicle crossing (non trade) ?? Various posts on the HUBB say no, but they date back 5 plus years and there was all that China Tibet violence back then. Also maybe the no they give is 'no because its too expensive to have a guide' rather than actually no.

TIC = This Is China! and as always the motherland works in mysterious ways and permits can be obtained with the right contacts.
Tibet travel is open again to groups and individual travellers from within ML China since April 2013.

Some of my mates (western foreigners) going from Kashgar to Lhasa via a few high altitude mountain ranges with 4x4's for three weeks as of middle of this month.
Quite sure they have a few stories to tell and pics to show.....

Have been riding big import bikes extensively (alone or with mates as a group) around the whole Tibetan region (Mt.Kailash, just not yet) and to be honest, never used or had guides involved (Tibet travel permits were always easily obtained through our long time reliable air ticket / travel agent in Shanghai). Now, bear in mind please, my / our Tibet trips were all done with China registered bikes and started either from Chengdu (Sichuan), Lhasa (Tibet) or Lanzhou (Qinghai).

Im told by people that do tours in the region that it is no problem, its all a matter of using an agent to get the permits in advance for Tibet. Big Tom just rode from Nepal through Tibet into China last year which proves that its currently possible.

Some important information from Heindrick is that you HAVE to get your Tibetan immigration visa/ permit in Kathmandu, Nepal, at the same time as getting your Chinese visa there, with an agent and all documents sent to him in advance, this can be processed in a few days, maybe 2 days. If you try get your Tibetan permit elsewhere, in Nepal, they WILL INVALIDATE the Tibetan permit!!! VERY IMPORTANT.

TIC = This Is China! and as always the motherland works in mysterious ways and permits can be obtained with the right contacts.
Tibet travel is open again to groups and individual travellers from within ML China since April 2013.

Some of my mates (western foreigners) going from Kashgar to Lhasa via a few high altitude mountain ranges with 4x4's for three weeks as of middle of this month.
Quite sure they have a few stories to tell and pics to show.....

Have been riding big import bikes extensively (alone or with mates as a group) around the whole Tibetan region (Mt.Kailash, just not yet) and to be honest, never used or had guides involved (Tibet travel permits were always easily obtained through our long time reliable air ticket / travel agent in Shanghai). Now, bear in mind please, my / our Tibet trips were all done with China registered bikes and started either from Chengdu (Sichuan), Lhasa (Tibet) or Lanzhou (Qinghai).

Just wondering about the feasibility of a couple of 'utes'/'pick-ups' going there to bring back a batch of KTMs?

Lots of good news regarding buying the KTM 390 Duke in Delhi India.

Once registered in India, the bike does NOT need a carnet guarantee bond to leave India. Entry into Nepal from India is very simple and relaxed, I'm told Indian citizens on motorcycles dont even need to stop entering Nepal.

Could an agent buy it and get it registered in your name without you being in India ?
Then ship it to Malaysia woteva where you pick it up on temp import and ride it to Thailand ?

Could an agent buy it and get it registered in your name without you being in India ?
Then ship it to Malaysia woteva where you pick it up on temp import and ride it to Thailand ?

My understanding is your not going to get it in your name without being an indian resident (visa long stay etc) and that means it needs to be registered to a nominee and use owner permission letters to cross borders.

Far easier than a ute driving overland would be a simple India to Malaysia (Port Klang) shipment.. If these really are under 100k there, and jamie quoted me 140k to fully legalise a 690 (so perhaps less for this) your talking a sub 250k price to get a legal thai plate.. If KTM do price these in the 400k range there is a real possibility that a container full of them would be a decent earner.

Im told it can be arranged Bill, the guy ive been talking to seems to be a decent fixer, has a good track record. He's sending lots of container loads of KTM 200 Duke's to Cambo, ive found the right guy I think.

The fixer in Delhi tells me for a little more money and time he can get the bike registered in your name in India.

My understanding is your not going to get it in your name without being an indian resident (visa long stay etc) and that means it needs to be registered to a nominee and use owner permission letters to cross borders.

Far easier than a ute driving overland would be a simple India to Malaysia (Port Klang) shipment.. If these really are under 100k there, and jamie quoted me 140k to fully legalise a 690 (so perhaps less for this) your talking a sub 250k price to get a legal thai plate.. If KTM do price these in the 400k range there is a real possibility that a container full of them would be a decent earner.

Im told it can be arranged Bill, the guy ive been talking to seems to be a decent fixer, has a good track record.

Your name in india ?? Interesting..

CHINESE embassy in Bangkok absolutely hopeless ,, went for a Z business visa , with my LOI from Chinese company ,supposed to start work there 3 weeks ago , told I need a medical which i dont ..then told cannot give business visa to foreigner in Thailand which is bullshit unless foreigner has work permit AND tHAI RESIDENCE ,, so now the company has to arrange a new LOI for me to go to Singapore for a week to get the visa .....

EVEN THAI VISA AGENTS AND MY SPONSOR HAVE TOLD ME GO TO SINGAPORE TO GET VISA

STUPID OR WHAT !!!!!!

I've used the Chinese Consulate in Chiang Mai several times to get Chinese immigration visa's (not business though) & they've always been very friendly, it's not too busy either.

CHINESE embassy in Bangkok absolutely hopeless ,, went for a Z business visa , with my LOI from Chinese company ,supposed to start work there 3 weeks ago , told I need a medical which i dont ..then told cannot give business visa to foreigner in Thailand which is bullshit unless foreigner has work permit AND tHAI RESIDENCE ,, so now the company has to arrange a new LOI for me to go to Singapore for a week to get the visa .....

EVEN THAI VISA AGENTS AND MY SPONSOR HAVE TOLD ME GO TO SINGAPORE TO GET VISA

STUPID OR WHAT !!!!!!

Would KTM Thailand still honour the warranty for an India purchased bike?

Would KTM Thailand still honour the warranty for an India purchased bike?

I would be floored if they would.. I mean, you buy a bike for 93k that they are (apparently) intending to sell for 4xx k.. and then you ask them to cover it also ??

I love KTM engineering and machinery, I love the mindset to the brand.. But this Thai premium product pricing model, pricing them so far above the same bikes sold in Cambodia even when you factor taxes and stuff, its a piss take.

So you've got 20 days of moving time from Delhi, India to Chiang Mai, Thailand. Add say 7 days for sightseeing & it looks like roughly a month to do trip and make it fun, not just a delivery.

And when might you be considering this jaunt ??

I would be floored if they would.. I mean, you buy a bike for 93k that they are (apparently) intending to sell for 4xx k.. and then you ask them to cover it also ??

Yeah, I want to have my cake and eat it too...... but maybe...

""""And when might you be considering this jaunt ??"""""

(please say october, when I have holidays)

And when might you be considering this jaunt ??

October would be ideal but im busy then...November too cold in Tibet....Im thinking of keeping it in Delhi...maybe doing a Nepal tour and back to Delhi in December 2013, then April 2014 ride them from Delhi to Chiang Mai

October would be ideal but im busy then...November too cold in Tibet....Im thinking of keeping it in Delhi...maybe doing a Nepal tour and back to Delhi in December 2013, then April 2014 ride them from Delhi to Chiang Mai

Easy to do a group trip into Nepal in December and weather ok -a day ride from Delhi !. ...you just need your bike papers and immigration is visa on arrival....very simple for Nepal....will go check out the Everest base camp east of kathmandu for sure.

You can never be accused of casting a shadow for too long in one place Phil.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

If anyone is interested in having a KTM 390 Duke "delivered" from Delhi, India to Thailand, Laos or Cambodia, we can probably get a Chinese guide to ride it back.

If the Duke200 and Duke390 are the same then just take an engine from the Duke390 in your backpack to Thailand ....

Chang Noi

I am not Chinese !!!

Hot off the press, we've just heard that the reason for the late delivery of the KTM 390's in India is because of a strike at the KTM factory in Bajaj. They are saying bikes will be delivered July 30th.

For those who are curious about buying a KTM 390 Duke in India, my plan is to buy one in Delhi, India in the next month (August 2013), register it in MY NAME & fly to Dehli and ride it to the Kolayat Fair (Kapil Muni Fair) in Rajistan (india) in early November, 2013.

[h=3]Kolayat Fair (Kapil Muni Fair)[/h]www.flickr.com user foxypar4
The largest fair of Bikaner, in India's desert state of Rajasthan, the Kolayat Fair combines a huge cattle fair with a pilgrimage to the town's holy lake. It's quite a spectacle as buffaloes, camels, horses and cattle are traded, and pilgrims bathe and float clay lanterns in the lake.

• When: November 9-17, 2013.
  • Where: Bikaner, Rajasthan.

Maybe also do a quick trip up to the Everest base camp in Nepal in December 2013. Riding them back to from Delhi, India, through Nepal, Tibet, China & Laos to get to Chiang Mai will take 2-3 months of planning, May 2014 would probably be the best time to start riding them back to Chiang Mai.

For people that are interested that I know, I'm willing to get the bike registered in their name in India & handle all the documentation processing to make this possible "at cost". This is only available to people that i know.

I saw somewhere that Thailand and India have a free-trade agreement for bikes under 250cc. That would make the Duke 200 look much more interesting! Can anyone confirm if this supposed agreement is actually reality?

I saw somewhere that Thailand and India have a free-trade agreement for bikes under 250cc. That would make the Duke 200 look much more interesting! Can anyone confirm if this supposed agreement is actually reality?

Even if they have the fta agreement on taxation, which I have also read, you would still need to do the emissions testing $$$ and they're is the whole get stress where they are saying currently that no second hand bike imports are being registered at all.

However it puts Thailand pricing into sharp focus if there really is a fta and they have passed testing type approval.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom