KTM 390 Duke pricing in India

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
I had a meeting today in Delhi, India with the Indian gentleman that is exporting 3 containers full of Indian made motorcycles a month to Cambodia. He is exporting Bajaj Pulsars, KTM 200 Dukes & Honda CBR 150's to Cambodia. Bajaj is the part owner of KTM. He already has orders to send some KTM 390 Dukes to Cambodia.

The strike at the Bajaj factory has delayed delivery of the first KTM 390 Dukes to Delhi, India to 30th July, 2013

More below on the Bajaj purchase of KTM

Bajaj Auto in talks to pick controlling stake in KTM - Indian Express

KTM 390 Duke pricing & details regarding a purchase in India

KTM 390 Duke India retail price:

210,0000 - 215,000 Rupees - add 6,000 Rupees to register etc., so total cost 221,000 Rupees.

USD$ equiv = USD$ 3,810 or 118,000 Bht

KTM-390-Duke-ABS.jpg

Details

Current delivery time from when order is placed is 30 days, obviously this could change, I ordered mine today so we'll see.

IT IS possible to get the KTM 390 Duke registered IN YOUR NAME. This is new untested territory, it takes an additional 20 days to do this ( so 50 days to get the bike registered in your name in India) & an additional 5,500 Rupees (USD$ 94 / 3,000 Bht). Again I've done this so we'll have a real world test here.

KTM 390 Duke - Cambodia delivery option

As they are currently sending 100's of motorcycles to Cambodia (from India), It's quite easy for them to send a KTM 390 Duke to Cambodia.

Total shipping cost from India to the Cambodia port (THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE PAYING IMPORT TAXES & BRINGING THE BIKE LEGALLY INTO CAMBODIA) is USD$ 500. You would then be responsible (paying Cambodian import taxes etc..) for bringing the motorcycle into Cambodia yourself, there would probably be many creative ways of doing this.

The KTM seller in Cambodia has told me that for an additional USD$ 750, he can get the KTM 390 Duke "legally" into Cambodia with import taxes paid. There are then numerous "agents" in Cambodia that could get you a Cambodian registration for the bike with the import taxes paid. This looks like an interesting option.

It could be registered in India & then sent to Cambodia on temporary import.

ktm-duke-390-photo-static-16_640x480.jpg

As a side note, the KTM 200 Duke road registered price in India is 145,000 Rupees / USD$ 1950 / 60,000 Bht

KTM 390 Duke - Cambodia delivery option

As they are currently sending 100's of motorcycles to Cambodia (from India), It's quite easy for them to send a KTM 390 Duke to Cambodia.

Total shipping cost from India to the Cambodia port (THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE PAYING IMPORT TAXES & BRINGING THE BIKE LEGALLY INTO CAMBODIA) is USD$ 500. You would then be responsible (paying Cambodian import taxes etc..) for bringing the motorcycle into Cambodia yourself, there would probably be many creative ways of doing this.

The KTM seller in Cambodia has told me that for an additional USD$ 750, he can get the KTM 390 Duke "legally" into Cambodia with import taxes paid. There are then numerous "agents" in Cambodia that could get you a Cambodian registration for the bike with the import taxes paid. This looks like an interesting option.

It could be registered in India & then sent to Cambodia on temporary import.

ktm-duke-390-photo-static-16_640x480.jpg

Phil, sounds interesting

So The KTM seller in Cambodia you refer to is not the KTM dealer I assume ?

Does one still pay tax in India with this option ?
Just wondering if the India price you quoted (215,000 rupees) is reduced for bikes exported to Cambodia ?

Bill the Indian exporter im talking to has to register the bikes in India 1st to make all this work, so whatever Indian taxes there are, are paid, he cannot do pre local/ pre registraion tax prices. Im pretty sure he's not dealing with the KTM dealer in PP.

His prices are pretty amazing!

Phil, sounds interesting

So The KTM seller in Cambodia you refer to is not the KTM dealer I assume ?

Does one still pay tax in India with this option ?
Just wondering if the India price you quoted (215,000 rupees) is reduced for bikes exported to Cambodia ?

This is a photo taken today of the KTM dealer in Guragon, Delhi, India, so they do have a showroom now (thanks to Kevin, the Singapore Airlines pilot)

9352963852_df1c691f8b_b.jpg

9352913624_ec46fd5bde_b.jpg

Hi & thank you for all this info.

I found this forum while searching info about the 390
& am glad I did. Nice forum

Will be very interested to see what you find about this importing your KTM Phil

I am also in CM & really liked the KTM's quality & mainly their power to weight ratios
I ended up with a 2013 ninja 250 only because at the time the Duke 200 seemed disproportionately
high priced at 249k I think it was at the time?

So ultimately will you be fully legal in Thailand with these bikes imported from India thru Cambodia etc?
Meaning plates, green book & ability to insure?

Thank you & looking forward to watching your thread

Mike - The only legal way to have the KTM 390, bought by this method from India, in Thailand is on temporary import. Cambodia registration is possible if the Indian registered bike has been shipped to Cambodia but some creativity will need to be used.

Hi & thank you for all this info.

I found this forum while searching info about the 390
& am glad I did. Nice forum

Will be very interested to see what you find about this importing your KTM Phil

I am also in CM & really liked the KTM's quality & mainly their power to weight ratios
I ended up with a 2013 ninja 250 only because at the time the Duke 200 seemed disproportionately
high priced at 249k I think it was at the time?

So ultimately will you be fully legal in Thailand with these bikes imported from India thru Cambodia etc?
Meaning plates, green book & ability to insure?

Thank you & looking forward to watching your thread

Mike - The only legal way to have the KTM 390, bought by this method from India, in Thailand is on temporary import. Cambodia registration is possible if the Indian registered bike has been shipped to Cambodia but some creativity will need to be used.

Thank you Phil
I am not familiar with this "temporary import" will watch this thread though as it all sounds interesting
& the prices sound great of course.
I did wonder why the Duke 200 was so pricey given its size & made in India status.
But many things here in Thailand seem confusing to me about prices :)

Will be interested to see how you do with the 390
Thanks

Mike - Everything you need to know is in the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...r-crossings-motorcycle-all-you-need-know.html

Thank you Phil
I am not familiar with this "temporary import" will watch this thread though as it all sounds interesting
& the prices sound great of course.
I did wonder why the Duke 200 was so pricey given its size & made in India status.
But many things here in Thailand seem confusing to me about prices :)

Will be interested to see how you do with the 390
Thanks

Bill the Indian exporter im talking to has to register the bikes in India 1st to make all this work, so whatever Indian taxes there are, are paid, he cannot do pre local/ pre registraion tax prices. Im pretty sure he's not dealing with the KTM dealer in PP.

His prices are pretty amazing!

Phil
If the Cambodian KTM seller can get it legal/tax paid in Cambodia for $750, why does the bike have to be registered in my name in India. I thought India reg would be redundant in this case.
or
Is there an export restriction on these bike to individuals (non KTM dealers), unless its registered in their name ?

Bill - for this exporters system to work, he has told me the bike has to be registered in India 1st (whether in your name or an Indian locals name), legally this is the only way he can ship the bikes out of India, his way he says the bikes HAVE to be Indian registered with local taxes paid.

Phil
If the Cambodian KTM seller can get it legal/tax paid in Cambodia for $750, why does the bike have to be registered in my name in India. I thought India reg would be redundant in this case.
or
Is there an export restriction on these bike to individuals (non KTM dealers), unless its registered in their name ?

Thanks again Phil
That is all pretty interesting but I see now it is truly temporary isn't it?
Meaning you need to constantly renew the temp permit.
Kind of rough for the long haul :(

No fixer types in Thailand that could convert temp to permanent?
Thanks
A temporary import only has to be renewed each 6 months so if you do ride the bike it is not an inconvenience to ride for a few hours to a border to own it 'for the long haul'.

A temporary import only has to be renewed each 6 months so if you do ride the bike it is not an inconvenience to ride for a few hours to a border to own it 'for the long haul'.

Ahh thanks skeedary! That does not sound that bad actually

No fixer types in Thailand that could convert temp to permanent?
Thanks

There are, but with emissions and the like it could be a (wild finger in the wind guesstimate) +- 140k on top..

Having them in india, pre reg, knocked down and parts imported as new would be the best way for that.. But really once you start adding 140 ish to the cost of the bike and shipping and hassle.. Starts to become a harder sell.

Agreed, the cheap India registration is what makes it attractive.

There are, but with emissions and the like it could be a (wild finger in the wind guesstimate) +- 140k on top..

Having them in india, pre reg, knocked down and parts imported as new would be the best way for that.. But really once you start adding 140 ish to the cost of the bike and shipping and hassle.. Starts to become a harder sell.

I suppose for Thailand residents, there's no need to get Cambo registration as the India reg would be the same for temporary import purposes ?

I'll be interested to hear what the temporary import terms are in Cambodia when you bring a bike in by ship. Do they have a formal process in place ?

I suppose for Thailand residents, there's no need to get Cambo registration as the India reg would be the same for temporary import purposes ?

I'll be interested to hear what the temporary import terms are in Cambodia when you bring a bike in by ship. Do they have a formal process in place ?

Exactly.....we need a real world experience to see how easy the Cambodia option works out.

if everything goes on smoothly, very soon we will have a `KTM 390 duke (India) Club` in Chiang Mai...Royal Enfield Club will follow...hehe!!!!

Royal Enfields are available in Bangkok Robert.
If we had a reliable dealer here in Chiang Mai I'd get a 500.
Key word 'reliable'.

Just curious what you folks would guess the 390 Thai price will be?

With the 200 at 199k I imagine rather high but was curious what you folks would guess? :)

The 390 looks fantastic but are the KTM fans confident about parts and service here in Chiang Mai (or anywhere in Thailand)?
I believe they are a fairly 'high maintenance' machine.

The 390 looks fantastic but are the KTM fans confident about parts and service here in Chiang Mai (or anywhere in Thailand)?

Nothing Joe couldn't handle with his eyes shut.

Just curious what you folks would guess the 390 Thai price will be?

With the 200 at 199k I imagine rather high but was curious what you folks would guess? :)

The 200 is only 199 on a special offer.. Current list is 249,000 IIRC for the ABS 2013 model.

And sub 250cc is supposed to be ASEAN (or is it APEC ??) tax free import, so thats purely KTMS 'premium brand' pricing..

Given the 390 will be into the tax brackets, I am going to assume thats theres no way it will be sub 350 and probably 400 plus at launch.. Wild guess tho.

I would assume that shortly KTM will have parts locally, and the dukes are not that high maintenance like the SMR's or EXC's..

haha!!!! 2 wheels, would you buy a royal enfields at 4 times the indian price? anyway, phil`s KTM will be coming soon, we will wait and see....

Ha ha Robert, 'yes' I would pay the extra (which is not '4 times the Indian price' to own a 500 Classic
which has passed Thai emission tests, which is 100% legal and which didn't require a mess of bureaucratic
crap to acquire.

My research shows that the 500 Classic here (ride away with warranty) is 280,000 baht.
(This may have changed up or down since that price first appeared last year).
Likewise, the Indian price, apparently, is the equivalent of 180,000 baht.

Either way, it's a bike that offers something a bit 'different' from the average and which,
according to Phil's observations, performed quite well in a range of conditions.

But this is essentially a KTM thread.

Thanks for the thoughts on pricing

400k would be really rough to justify
I am hoping they do the rc390 too.
But 400k ouch

haha!!! 2wheels, you may have to check the Desert Storm Classic price again, it is 1.57 Lakh= 82000THB...4 times thai price...hehe!!! sorry, phil, have to hijack your thread...but it is of great interest to indian bikes lovers...buy 2 if you can...haha!!!

Latest news on the first batch of KTM 390 Duke's to be delivered in India, big strike, now saying 15th September, 2013 being the earliest delivery.

Below is an extract from an email i received today from an agent in Delhi, India:

"i did not say yes to you for second ktm yet because there is a big strike in the company plant and it just finished 3 days before so showroom people have no schedule of delivery yet for ktm 390 and the guess what they told me around 15th sep.

the showroom people guarantee us that from the first lot what they receive they provide the bike to us".

Latest news on the first batch of KTM 390 Duke's to be delivered "inside" India, is that delivery date will not be before mid-October 2013.

In stock and being sold in Cambo.. 5990 USD with a few hundred bucks work of power parts thrown in..

The 200 is now 4550 USD with some power parts there..

So +- 190k THB on the 390 and 145k THB on the 200..

Back
Top Bottom