KLX250 Lower gear Options ?

lakota

Bikes
KLX250S, CB500X,DREAM 125
I've been struggling with Hill decent's on the KLX250. A lot of it will be down to technique but I can't help wondering if a lower gear would help. first gear seems far too high, would be nice to be able to crawl along to deal with obstacles generally but for a controlled Hill decent would make a lot of difference. or would it ?

I think you might have to use more back brake and get your ass up off the seat and as far back over the mud guard as you can to get the most traction.

Engine braking should be good on those things...you should try a 2 stroke,zero engine brake!

actualy just front brake was helping today, although in the past I've managed to hit the rear brake rapidly and release , sort of like cadence braking but the rear just locked up today and then I'm stalling. I was a bit under the weather so wasn't 100% fit and what with the heat and everything. but I still feel first gear is a bit too high. It would be lower on a proper dirt bike or not ?

I've mastered the Arse over the rear of the Dream 125 with knobbly tires but the KLX wouldn't be so straightforward :D

I know most Guys are looking for extra speed out of the KLX by altering the Gearing, I'm just wondering on the feasability of going the other way

I have a nice aftermarket 48 tooth on mine and I love it, going up, and down hills. I don't care about top end for the highways with an enduro. On highway I can still cruise 90-100 (which is fast enough with off road tires) 115 KPH when passing was still easy.

With the 48 you can even coax the front wheel up now and again.

Thanks marcusb

I've just been searching the web on sprockets and it seems a smaller (13t) sprocket may do the trick. you've given me more to think about.

the front sprocket will need replacing shortly anyway, so that would be an easy fix if it'll do it. just need to be sure that I'm right about my thoughts on the first gear being too high in the first place rather than the problem being totally down to my poor riding Skills :?

lots of Guys on here with lots of Offroad riding Skills and experience with the KLX so hopefully they will give there thoughts too

I am running my KLX with standard gearing and for what I do its fine

Thanks Pounce , so will I be better with a 13T front Sprocket as it's an easy fix ? :confused:

Had a 13 on my KLX, but what you gain you loose at the other end, the original setup is fine for all but the most extreme situations

Think I'll give it a try, easy to back it out. can't seem to find the 'other end' on the KLX anyway as you well know :RE

Russ put a 13T sprocket on the front of his Honda CRF 250 L and couldn't believe how much better it was.

Are they easily available? would I be able to just order one from Kawasaki ?

Riding trails more often than tar roads, I have always found that having that bit extra down the bottom end is a better option than top end speed.
Most dirt roads you don't need to go over 80kph anyway

Back
Top Bottom