KLX 150 Ride from CM-Pai-MHS

v.visions81

Bikes
Triumph Thruxton / Honda Sonic 125
Good Morning to all you riders out there,

Just thought I'd start off my first post with a soft review of the new KLX150.

I got the bike on Monday evening and gave it a short ride around the Chiang Mai moat area and it was a fun ride indeed. Great to zip through traffic and a nice smooth ride with a little punch to it when you needed it.

The following morning I rid the bike to Mae Hong Son and found it to be a lot of fun compared to it's smaller brothers the KSR110 and even though not as fun as the 250, never the less, a good rider could give a less experienced rider on a 250 a run for his money, on the way down from the first military/police check point to Pai and from the Kiew Lom View Point down to the foot of the mountain. As for going up hill, throughout the trip I found myself using mostly gears 3-4 with a couple steep hills having to shift in 2nd, but never found the need to pop it into gear 1. I was quite impressed by that. However, along the way I got a little bored of the tarmac and wanted to rest my sore bum (same problem with the narrow seat for me as the 250) so I took a little excursion off road up a steep , soft dirt, hill and found my self having to pop it into gear 1 and rev the little sucker quite a bit to get it up to the top - But hey, I weigh 85-86 kg's :lol:

As for as gas is concerned, from the PTT station in:
A) Maetang to Pai = 100 Bht. (91 Gasohol)
B) Pai to Mae Hong Son = 130 Bht. (91 Gasohol)

I've never had a KLX 125, so I'm not going to go into detail of comparing the two, but if memory serves me right from renting out a KLX125 (FI)then it seems that the 125 had a sharper acceleration, but I like the mid-top end range smoothness of the 150 and with the 15% increase in cc and a smaller back sprocket (4 teeth) it's more of a pleasure to ride on longer distances.

As for the FI vs Carb debate, I'll leave it up to personal preferences... I'll just refer to a comparison I like that I came across on the net -->Screw Drivers & Spanners vs Laptop & Fuel Maps :hmm

I, however, ended going for the 150 Carb mainly because 1) it will be easier for my riding mates and I, or a local mechanic, to fix should there be a problem (taking laos and China into consideration)on trips 2) Once my girlfriend, whom which the bike is for, has gained enough experience to move on to some thing bigger, I'll start playing around with the engine, carbs and exhaust system to turn it into a little "Monster Energy" ride :d and last but not least, the KLX 150 is over 10K cheaper than the KLX125 Fi.

All in all, I think that it's a fun ride, great bike for beginners to start with and for experienced riders to have a little fun on, and if you're looking for a bike to travel both on/offroad that wont cost you six digits and your not hooked on high torque or as a 2nd bike to ride around town and zipping through traffic for daily runs to wherever, then this is a bike to take into consideration.

These are purely my personal views and may or may not be entirely correct, so please feel free to comment and correct me any time krupppp :RO

On my way to Pai

The Pai Memroial Bridge

Now that the Bikes filled up, it's time to fill the rider @ P&P Burger ;)
It is located at the Soi across to the left from the Pai bus station (looking out).

Even though I didn't like the bun that much, the paddies were good

A little offroad and rest for the sore bum :lol:

My favorite hairpin corner

One of my favorite view points (Pai-MHS)

A quick stop for a drink at Pang Ma Phar

Road Side View

Destination MHS @ Wat Doi Kong Mu

One Happy Girl :d

Thanks for the report v.visions81 - looks like this bike is excellent an excellent entry level bike

alexuk said:
welcome vvisions
crs also went to mhs on the weekend on his new klx150, but by a slightly diferent route
I had a go on it too, and was impressed, it needed some grippier tyres though, for the muddy corners.
The stock ones look better than the oem dunlops on the klx250, but werent up to the job once it got wet and slippy
trail-riding-reports/7-from-the-n-o-b-ride-off-road-from-cnx-to-mae-hong-son-t1947.html

Just read the link of the alternative route post, a much more interesting route indeed, and will be nicking my gf's KLX offroading this weekend :lol:

- thanks for the tip on the tires... and CRS's KLX "185" ... That sounds like more fun :RO

How you doing with you KLX150, v.visions81? Any mods?

Missed this thread...

Back
Top Bottom