KLX 140 L

yes i am one of Jean Luc's friends with a KLX , although mine is now a 175cc with a big cam/carby and a hand made exhaust by a local guy Arnel who is a genious with stainless steel thats a work of art , heavier springs and its a surprisingly good bike ,all of Jean Luc's bikes have heavier springs and handle adults well but the engine mods certainly wake it up and given the Philippines lack of bikes imported its a good choice for Palawan mainly for the fact that most trails have never seen a bull dozer or grader and are usually walking/buffalo trails with many obsticals like logs , insane amounts of tree roots always at the wrong angles , bog holes you can drown in ,some killer hills , so a big hp bike is sometimes more hinderance than help , the other year i modified a YZ426 rolling chassis with a XR motor [also played with ] and its a top bike to ride but so much harder in the forests as its tall so you are continually head butting all the bamboo as many tracks are like tunnells , then it rains , alot heavier to man handle over the many obsticals , and being in the tropicals the sweat fairly pissess out of you sometimes in the generally crazy tracks we seem to ride in so the YZ/XR is usually left at home and I ride the KLX , also being closer to 50 than 40 [where have all the years gone ] the old enduro injuries are much happier the next day as well...
So if you have an adventurous side , like to see spectacular mountain views and experiance Philippino hospitality then come for a ride some day ....

I was recently in Bali on Indo where they sell the KLX in a 150R format (carb not FI) and a d-tracker with a slightly odd wheelsize (looked 18 or 19 on both front and rear).

Lots of the bali youth were hotting these up and they seemed really pretty decent, certainly so much superior to the dumb 125 sold on the Thai market with FI and no power. For a bigger guy like myself these are a good around town small size much like a ksr is to an asian sized rider.

LivinLOS said:
I was recently in Bali on Indo where they sell the KLX in a 150R format (carb not FI) and a d-tracker with a slightly odd wheelsize (looked 18 or 19 on both front and rear).

i think you`ll find the wheel size is 16" back and front on the D Tracker.

with the 19" front and 16" rear on the L they are extremely hard to drop with the low centre of gravity and relative ease in getting the feet down.

fun little bikes but none of the arm wrenching 2 stroke power hit :)

Nope dont think so, on Bali they have motard wheels on 2 same sized wheels but a fair bit larger than normal motard.. Tho thats possible a modification as almost all the ones I saw were hotted up from stock.

Like a halfway motard / road wheelset.. Tho maybe it was 17's on such a small bike but they really looked large especially the rear.. Looked a lot more than a 16 and unless it was a trick of the eye more than a 17..But perhaps I am just used to seeing 14's on the 125 sized d-tracker we have.

I might be back in a few weeks and if I am will rent one or one of the 'byson' FZ150

Yes i also saw many hotted up KLX150'S in Bali 6 mnths ago, the guy i got my modified barrel off also built the fastest motard on the island , using the swing arm/shock and front forks/ tripple clamps off a YZ 125 and run 17" wheels and 65mm piston

The Balo's / Indo's have even less choice than we do with bikes.. Tho Kwaker has broken into the market and theres a few ugly things in the sub 200 range (scorpio, vixion, etc)..

I took the time to go over to DEUS Bali workshop in Changu to check out the customs they make (mega dollars and a serious case of hipster pretentiousness also... Fixie bikes, skinny jeans, and ironic facial hair and sailor tatts etc) but loved the bikes they made from local 225's tho at prices that are silly for what they are based on and local labor..

Also the locals seem to have less to work with but make more customs and mods (maybe just keeping old stock on the rds). I saw lots of things like CB 100's made into street trackers and brat style customs (my two favorite sort of styles really) as well as a stunning magazine worthy CB100 based cafe racer with a single seat pod and mini fairing looking great. Lots of modded machines being ridden by locals instead of just more auto scoots.

I might be back in a month or so again and if so will try to take more pics. I love seeing local mods and bike build styles.

Back
Top Bottom