Just saying Hi

XR399

Bikes
Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer, Previously had Honda CBR929 and Honda NSR 150 SP
Hi

I'm a 68 year old Canadian, living in Hua Hin for 8 years now. Long time motorcycle guy. 12 yrs motocross starting at 17 yrs old, 6 years of road racing after I figured my body was too old for motocross!! Always had a street bike or 2 ever since I was 18, probably probably a million street kilometers or so.

I completely restored a fairly nice example of Honda NSR 150 SP including a Taga Pipe when I first arrived in HH, but when I started riding it found it to be a bit cramped for my 183 cm and 80 kg. I then stepped up to a CBR 929 rr which was a great machine, wife and I rode it to MotoGP in Sepang the year that Simonchelli was killed, sadly ending that race after 1 1/2 laps. A fuel injection problem that I had looked at by Red Baron in BKK, proved to be the end of that bike for me, as shoddy, incompetent workmanship ruined the rideability. I was able to sell it quickly, and found a fairly nice 2003 Yamaha FZS1000 Faser which is my current street ride (along with the usual obligatory in town scooters).

Nearly all my riding buddies here now also have a dual purpose CRF or KLR 250 and are finding a lot of good areas for off roading. I borrowed a CRF250L and took a few rides with them, and it was very enjoyable ( I thought I would not be able to cope with the heat while riding off road, but it didn't prove to be that bad!!) So now I am looking for a dirt squirt again!

I was wondering if anyone on the board has experience with the KTM 200 EXC 2 stroke? The CRF and KLR's are way heavy, and for me keeping the weight down will be a major consideration. What about parts availability? There is a KTM dealer in HH, but they only have the street lineup, and seemed non-committal on whether they could order parts or not.

I am going to look at a 2008 in BKK on Sunday, and if anyone has comments I'd appreciate hearing them!!

P.S. My buddy in Canada works in a shop that sells KTM, his son has a 2008 200 exc, and he swears it is a fantastic ride, I'm ok with the 2 stroke having raced and wrenched all my, pre 4 stroke, motocross bikes (and road racers as well) so that is not a problem, to be truthful I found the power severely lacking on the CRF 250 L. The stock 37 or 38 hp and 99.5 kgs of the KTM should cure that problem!

Cheers and thanks for any replies!

Tom

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Introductions 5
J Introductions 7
Back
Top Bottom