Jim Barbush in laos motorcycle accident Feb 6th 2011

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Jim Barbush in laos motorcycle accident Feb 6th 2011

I got an email yesterday that Jim Barbush, from Remote Asia bike tours had an accident near Park Lay in Laos 3 days ago.

We're told, by Digby (who runs "exploreindochina" bike tours in Vietnam), who was riding with Jim, that on a dusty road, a truck was coming the opposite way and hit Jim.

He has six broken bones in his arm, fingers & leg. received an email from his wife, Quynh, last night:

"Hi guys,

Jim's surgery went well today. He will be in the hospital for a week or so. Thank you all for the calls and emails.

I'll go back and forth between VTE and Odon

Quynh"

Jim is on the right
33790_10150176362903345_610023344_8560953_5448324_n.jpg

Got an email from Jim, seems to be recuperating well:

"Hi all,

Thanks for the emails of late, I appreciate them and the calls as well. I was smacked by a truck last week on a ride in western Laos and am recovering well in Thailand. I'll be home with Quynh on Monday. I'll be fine but am a bit banged up but have gotten great medical treatment. I'll now be a bit heavier with the new metal in the arm and loads of fun at airports.

Thank you all again and I'll update when I can.

Jim"

Jims rescue and return home to Ban Suan Mon

ek-oudon.jpg

Attachments

• Ik-Udon.jpg
    Ik-Udon.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,189
  • jim.jpg
    jim.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,196
  • shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,178
  • bridge-backup.jpg
    bridge-backup.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,137
Barbush is one of those Wyomingish guys (down wind from us Montana guys :-) ) who can take on a truck, bull, or wildish two legged dear and walk/roll/crawl away wearing a smile after all three rolled over him, as seen in the pics.

He one-fingered me yesterday, not the middle one, but his working right index digit, as he tapped the keyboard, obviously under the influence of medicament, sending, "doc im ok. my hand was coverng the jewels when i stopppped."

I have to respect a motorcycle adventurist that has been beaten like a mule who has this kind of sense of humor.

Dr. G
Chief, World Adventure Affairs Desk, CITY BIKE magazine

The lengths that some gents go to in order to receive attention from nurses in skirts. Jim my friend, you take the cake. Best of luck on the recovery and my heart goes out to Quynh that has to put up with you around the house for the next few weeks. Best of luck with the recovery.

He's all fixed but not sure if he'll be adventure riding any more.

Still able to ride circles around ya and back out pounding mud the end of July :lol:

RemoteAsia said:

Still able to ride circles around ya and back out pounding mud the end of July :lol:

Jim - i'm glad to hear you havn't hung up your Alpinestars.

RemoteAsia said:

Great news Jim and love the attitude. Maybe we'll finally get a ride in together.

Back
Top Bottom