Jesus Trail in CM

Browny88

Bikes
KLX330cc
G'day, firstly thanks for accepting me to the forum @The Bigfella my name's Browny, I'm a 34yo Aussie bloke and I live up near Khun Wang in CM. Here's my latest ride report from a few days ago.
20221031_120645.jpg

Had a cracker ride today even though I thought I may need to walk a little over 10km back through the jungle down somewhat knarly terrain to go get fuel 🤦‍♂️

I can't believe I had let some of the basics slip on this ride but as I was only planning to do my final test on the new camping side bags I didn't really expect to be tackling what I came across but you know what it's like when you are just enjoying the ride so you keep going further and further.

Lastnight I was reading some old posts & ride reports about tracks around Doi Inthanon and I noticed the comment 'Jesus trail' & 'Christ the redeemer statue' which isn't far from my place so I downloaded a couple gps apps and maps for offline use and decided I'd go for a look out there today.

I took off from the statue where it was beautiful conditions for riding offroad, cruising along up the mountain enjoying the trail and the lovely crisp air, blue skies, sun shining on the different vegetable & rice fields the Karen Hilltribe people grow in the jungle for the first couple of kilometres.
20221031_091752.jpg

Then after the water tanks it gets a little more wild with various types of terrain from slippery red clay, rocky sections, deep water & mud holes, logs across the trail, overgrown sections etc. The further I went the more surprised I was with how well the bike was going and although a struggle in some sections the bikes grunt really helped to keep continuing without really considering how far in I was going.

It wasn't until I had come off in one of the slippery sections (point No.1 on the map attached) when I seen my fuel warning indicator was on, glad I noticed that as I then checked the map to try determine what's my best course of action. I had 2 choices, first was to try continue on the path I was going and try make it to the main road (what I should have done I think now that I'm looking at the map back at home) or the second choice was to return the way I'd come. I went for option 2 but silly me got sidetracked again having fun and on the way back at point No.2 on the map I decided I'd have a crack trying to reach the top of the mountain, bad decision, should've kept on heading home. Anyway I was still amazed at how well the bike was going even after having come off a handful of times by this stage. I had almost made it to the summit at 1750m when the last corner fu@ked me. I couldn't get past it even though most of the ride was actually considerably harder in my opinion but the corner was thick black dirt with a camber that kept putting my back wheel over the mountain, resulting in me having to drag it back up on to the track for another crack. I'm pretty weak these days so all this took it out of me. Plus the full side bags didn't help, I think anyway...I ended up walking the 20m to the top to take my gear off and go have another crack but I still couldn't make it around the corner.
For me personally I think I mainly struggled as I'd lost my confidence when the fuel was dwindling and after I got stuck I was too nervous to have a proper crack. Eventually I said enough was enough and it was time to get moving again before I needed to set that tent up in my bag haha. Thankfully for atleast 5 of the 10km return trip I was able to keep the engine off as the mountain is very steep. Surprised I didn't get stuck anywhere too bad on the way back either but certainly got lost for a minute there and kissed the mud a couple more times before finally pulling up to get some fuel across from the statue where I had a good yarn with the lady about my recent adventures. Next stop was ice cream and Khao Soi to take back for me and the missus.
Screenshot_20221031-163059_Geo Tracker.jpg
Screenshot_20221031-163255_Geo Tracker.jpg

Onto the bags, I was sure they'd have some damage after what they just went through but nope, not a mark on them and inside dry as a whistle. I don't feel they were too hindering like the heavy top bag set-up was and I don't mind them for standing up. Most issues came from grazing trees forgetting they were on the bike and when ya put a leg down just need to be careful not to get it caught up under them and sandwiched against an object. So yeah the bags were a top buy, well worth the $100.
You'll see in the pics my brake foot snapped but still left me with a bit of purchase to get home and luckily I actually had a spare ready to go.
20221031_151143.jpg
20221031_153833.jpg

The things I will be doing on future rides is making sure my camel back is completely full before taking off plus filling the fuel tank. Eating some breaky or atleast packing some food to have at a rest stop. Sending the missus a screenshot of roughly what area of the jungle I'll be riding in & around what time I should be back or have reached my destination & making contact to say I have arrived all safe & sound.

Anyway there's my little ride report with a bit of a final product review on the new side bags, plus a bit of rambling on of course. I'm spewing I didn't take the full face helmet with the Go-pro on it as there would've been some nice footage I'd say but the helmet was still drying from being washed yesterday.

Has anyone else done the 'Jesus trail'? What did you think of it? Would you/did you do it alone? I think in another week or so it will be a little drier and possibly easier to ride but I'd still recommend not going solo right now but if you do please let me know and I'll come along as I'd love to try the road again.

Looking forward to taking my mates old man on a loop from CM-Pai-MHS-Doi Inthanon-CM starting this Sunday.
Going to get him on a CRF300L from Riders Corner. Can't wait, should be a top ride on the tarmac. Cheers, hope to see you out on the trails.

Attachments

• 20221031_120603 (1).jpg
    20221031_120603 (1).jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 111
Nice report mate. Here's that CRF300L you mentioned.... on the Jesus Trail. I dropped it because I was going too slow. Got trapped under it too. From memory, it was a few days after last Christmas when we did it

Nice report mate. Here's that CRF300L you mentioned.... on the Jesus Trail. I dropped it because I was going too slow. Got trapped under it too. From memory, it was a few days after last Christmas when we did it

Yes this is the video which lead me to the trail 👌 would love to have a crack with the confidence of company next time haha

Looking forward to some nice easy days onroad this trip with the mates old man. See ya Sunday morning. Cheers.

I'm out of town at present, but I've told Tum (my wife). Deere's also off on a ride... but he and a few other guys do regular rides. They would be happy to have the company. I will put you in touch with a couple of the guys

T
I'm out of town at present, but I've told Tum (my wife). Deere's also off on a ride... but he and a few other guys do regular rides. They would be happy to have the company. I will put you in touch with a couple of the guys
That would be unreal mate, really appreciate it. Unfortunately will miss out on a group charity ride to Omkoi this weekend as looking after the mates old man.
Me and the missus met you a few years back now when I popped in to buy some of the GT rider maps.

Nice report, like you I have a habit of going off on these kind of trails on my own, not always a great idea as I recently found out.

Hi Browny.
I'd been on a multi day trip with a few mates and we were up around Doi Mon Laan, they'd decided to head further north so I turned and started my return home to Mae Sot. I stopped for the night in Mae Sariang and planned a route from there out to Mae Sam Leap then turn south and head for Kloselo, / Ban Mae Sam Leap then follow the Moei river south to Mae La Oon refugee camp and then head back out to the 105. From Ban Mae Sam Leap south to the refugee camp its basically a foot path with several tricky inclines. I wasn't far from the refugee camp when my clutch packed in at 17.79942 N, 97.73186 E The bike had recently been upgraded to 355cc but I'd never got round to check or upgrading the clutch. I started off on foot and found a Karen settlement 600 mtrs further down the trail with no network coverage. I stayed in a locals house overnight and the villagers pushed the bike to the river the following morning and got me on a longtail boat back to Mae Sam Leap. Wife was not happy and warned me not to be doing something so stupid ever again, did I listen Nah.

Attachments

• 20221027_134936.jpg
    20221027_134936.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image-5d60bbcb-4f30-47c6-b9a6-bb07db30979d.jpg
    image-5d60bbcb-4f30-47c6-b9a6-bb07db30979d.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image-33d1abe8-31b7-4fac-8c51-42983cf93a99.jpg
    image-33d1abe8-31b7-4fac-8c51-42983cf93a99.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 99
  • image-86a16fcf-b70a-4b9f-9a06-828ed1ed322c.jpg
    image-86a16fcf-b70a-4b9f-9a06-828ed1ed322c.jpg