Jb makes the connection – the Lifan doesn’t

Ally

Bikes
PCX - with custom valve caps
Jb had this fascination with making the connection between the trail he found off the 1230 through the forest & over to the known track that he rode this week. He had been on about it all week & today when he said he wanted to ride, there was no doubt in my mind what he intended.

I met up with Jb at the fuel pump near 1006 & 1317 and we headed up over the Mae On mountains on the 1229. At the bottom we joined the 1230 & headed north past the massive construction of the buddha at Wat Mae Takrai and onto the end of the tarmac where the fun starts with lots of loose rutted gravel & a bit of hard pad.

thumbs_img_2999.jpg

thumbs_img_3000.jpg

At the spot Jb found the new trail, we agreed we would go to where he had previously ridden & then take a look, he was keen to make the connection.

The trail wasn’t too difficult, a typical forest hardpad route covered with leaves. We stopped at the point he had previously turned back & walked down a little to assess the trails progression down the mountain. I Immediately understood why he had previously turned back. The trail disintegrated into undergrowth with bamboo laced across what path you could see and the angle of descent was increasing to about 40dgrees and no sight of the end of the trail, let alone the trail itself.

Jb on his trusty Lifan said “Lift that bamboo, I am coming through”, I couldn’t believe it. I said, “If you go down there, your mad!” He said, we should meet at the next junction, let out the clutch & proceeded down the mountain side.

thumbs_img_3004.jpg

thumbs_img_3008.jpg
thumbs_img_3010.jpg

Meanwhile I went the long way round, via the View Point and then onto the agreed meeting point which I shared with one or two spiders !!
thumbs_img_3012.jpg

thumbs_img_3013.jpg

After waiting an hour at the junction, about 3 km’s further up the 1230, I was now regretting not shouting my claim louder, perhaps he didn’t hear me with his earplugs in, perhaps he thought I was a wimp, perhaps I should have waited at the top before leaving, what if he was speared by a bamboo on the way down & lay dead in the jungle ? I reasoned that down was where I should head, rather than back up to where I last saw him. I am glad I did, there I met him walking towards me, red in the face, boiling in the midday heat & looking slightly disheveled.

I left Jb in the shade below a bridge with a wet t-shirt wrapped over his head, trying to beat off the exhaustion. For the next hour I walked through the forest, up & down steep bamboo slopes and through rock filled streams at the foot of the mountain trying to find where Jb left the bike. I failed to find it despite having his gps with me, coming from the bottom, the place was just so un-navigable, trying to climb steep dry cliff faces was impossible.
Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 21.38.29.png
So there we have it, there is a Lifan in the jungle, it’s stood upright awaiting collection, Jb now has a task of finding some willing folks to help him go in & recover it :hmm

Here is a short video clip of Jb dissappearing into the bamboo.
[VIDEO]http://vimeo.com/38724585[/VIDEO]
Poor Jb, his ego slightly dented but able to put a very brave face on it 8-)

thumbs_img_3018.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-03-18 at 21.29.50.png
Ally

Ally,
You didn't mention that the clutch is not working and it is out of gear!
I may need some help lugging that out of the jungle.

More tomorrow!

Off to sleep knowing my bike is safe and sound on THAT track.
Eh, one of the pluses of owning a Lifan: I can sleep tonight.
;-)

A bit of bad luck today there JB, hopefully you locate and recover it soon

Ally on the 1230 before the start of my "adventure."
P1010464.JPG

Tree down on the 1230, and it's not even rainy season! Maybe I should have taken this as an omen!
P1010465.JPG

More Ally
P1010468.JPG

P1010470.JPG

Ally on the trail. That is a clay switchback that must be very slippery when wet.
P1010471.JPG

P1010472.JPG

P1010473.JPG

Absolutely knackered. This was after 20 minutes of cool-down, drinking water, and splashing my face with creek water.
P1010474.JPG

P1010475.JPG

I hopped on the bike with Ally and we made it down to a nice coffee bar/restaurant near the Hot Springs
P1010476.JPG

Today (Wednesday) we returned to the sunny climbs of the jungle track where the Lifan stood waiting. Accompanied by 2 friends Om & Churd, Jb & myself along with a bit of rope, managed to get the bike moving.
IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3022.jpg
DOWNHILL!
IMG_3024.jpg
It was a bit of a nightmare but possibly slightly less exhausting than the uphill route.
IMG_3027.jpg
There were quite a few times when all looked impossible but we made it down & in one piece.
IMG_3030.jpg
IMG_3031.jpg
Without the team effort, the bike would still be out there in the forest but thanks to these 2 helpful guys, we made it through.
IMG_3038.jpg
Jb now has the bike in the back of the truck for a much needed visit to a repair shop. The engine runs, the wheels turn but gears just don't engage !
IMG_3039.jpg
Good luck Jb.

Ally

Great teamwork guys!!!! That's now 3 of our bikes that have spent a night in the jungle. congrats on the retrieval.

Re: Jb makes the connection – the Lifan DOES!!!

The Lifan DID make the connection, but does it count with 3 helpers pushing and pulling and cutting and sliding and cursing and sweating...?

We started off at 9ish picking up Khun Om and his friend, Jong, in Mae On in my under-powered 2WD Mazda pickup. We arrived near the "site" and parked the truck on the 1230 which was the safest location.

Making our way to the bike
P1010547.JPG

Ally can speak Thai very well, and it surely helped today
P1010548.JPG

I forget if this was an uphill view, which was the first choice for escape and soon squashed, or downhill
P1010549.JPG

Heading downhill we navigated through the dangerous bamboo spears to the creek bed
P1010551.JPG

P1010552.JPG

Ally looking pensive. We were trying to decide whether or not to get the bike up this spot.
P1010554.JPG

We decided on the most direct spot at the creek bed. Down to the bed, flip the front wheel around, and push it up the other side.
The bike ready to come down. We slid it down on its left side until the rear wheel hit the creek bed.
P1010556.JPG

P1010557.JPG

Sorry no shots of the dragging and flipping. Here is the bike on the other side with some knackered helpers. We all know that was the most difficult bit.
P1010558.JPG

P1010560.JPG

The last uphill stretch
P1010561.JPG

Ally posted the downhill photos as I was on the bike heading down. We slip and slide our way down to the bottom and park on the village road. Wow!

Om cooling down.
P1010562.JPG

And guess which lucky person had to hike all the way back up to the truck? Oh yes, me. We waited to hitch a ride, but I soon took off back up the path.
P1010565.JPG

P1010566.JPG

What made this? I thought it was a giant centipede on the side. Now I did NOT want to see one of those today.
P1010568.JPG

The Three Musketeers
P1010570.JPG

P1010573.JPG

Om missing his beautiful wife, Nong Yao, at Jira Restaurant (Plug: Eat at Jira, it's the best around!)
P1010571.JPG

Back to Jira for good food and good company
P1010574.JPG

P1010575.JPG

Thoughts: This was the 2nd most exciting day I have had in Thailand. The first was 3 days ago when I left the bike propped upright and pointed uphill in the jungle. My Lifan could not cut the mustard, but I would not have altered this experience in any way. I learned a lot about my bike's capabilities, as well as my own.
I also learned that if you can respect the locals here they will treat you like family. I did offer a reward, but they would have NONE of it. I hope I can pass on that spirit for any future rescues or circumstances that may arise. Please feel free to ask me if you need help in the Chiang Mai area.
Be safe out there, and GET OUT THERE!
JB

Glad to see the bike has been recovered JB, and like you said GET OUT THERE

Great story guys, glad it all worked out well and nothing was stolen off the bike. When my DRZ 400 was left for the night up Doi Suthep, someone stole the front brake lever.

Great report and congrats on seeing the challenge and enjoying the adventure. Good stuff guys.

So was it the clutch that threw in the towel?

Bigntall,

It was the clutch AND it was covered under warranty. It appeared to be the friction plates (or similar) and a problem with lubrication. It was covered under warranty. I tested it at the shop and the ability to change gears felt even better than when I bought it 6 months ago.

Note: Previously I had issues with the CNX Lifan shop owner and his wife, but for this service I dealt with a sweet lady named Goong. She spoke great English and was very patient with me. I have yet to take the bike out for a ride, but this day I am 100% satisfied with the service and the treatment from Lifan CNX.

Videos of the dreaded trail

Ah yes, I know the feeling!
---------
OK, my Lifan is now riding great. Thank you once again to the retrieval crew and to the service dept at Lifan.
---------
Here are a couple of videos I took while hiking to the bike. Just me walking, but it gives you an idea of the trail, or what was left of a trail. I hiked both ways as I was still deciding which way would be easiest for retrieval.

The walk from the top down to the bike.

And the hike up from the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom