January 29th Chiang Dao Enduro

Mark Rossi

The first round of the North Thailand Enduro Championships where held in Chiang Dao over the weekend.
It was a 2 day event commencing Saturday at midday. There were 4 special test sections and the riding and layout has really improved since I last rode one of these races in 2007.
The event turned out around 70 competitors 3 of us being Foreigners to Thailand. I feel in the next rounds the number will increase to over 100.
It was great to see the return of the trophy girls, and good to see them hang around all weekend suppling the eye candy. I hope they make it too all the events.
As I was riding didn't get any action photos but here is a look at what pics I took.

Khun Lek didn't ride this event, however this didn't stop him immersing himself in the atmosphere
web600P1300028.jpg

The Enduro class bikes
web600P1300009.jpg

web600P1300022.jpg

The underbone class bikes
web600P1300010.jpg

Danny form Germany ran a credible 5th in the underbone class
web600P1300048.jpg

One of the usual suspects and crowd pleaser, Auy Chiang Mai in the Liverpool shirt holding his winning trophy
web600P1300034.jpg

Some of you local riders will recognise quiet a few of these veteran competitors. Mr Nichol on the far left has been giving a lot of support developing Thai riders, He gives training facilities, board and general help. I would say Nichol giving support to Chayuan is a part of him becoming 2010 Thai supercross champion.
web600P1300029.jpg

These 2 helpers worked hard. Pha on the Left kept me company practicing her English.
web600P1300017.jpg

The underbones consisting of a modified bored engine they are amazingly fast
web600P1300013.jpg

Everybody received one of these, medals that is
web600P1300026.jpg

The end
web600P1300027.jpg

Here are a pic of the gps tracks of the trails.
This photo of the gps tracks is showing 3 special section tests.
2011JanChiangDaoEnduro.png

Special section 1 was a cross country track time trial, which was 3 timed laps taking around 14minutes to complete. Lots of creek bed riding, mud and dust. The turnoff to the east from Hwy 7 is not much more than 2km south on Hwy7 from the Chiang Dao southern turn off.
2011JanChiangDaoEnduross1.png

Special section 2 was a cross country test time trial, some single track and farm headlands ridden in this test. The time took around 14minute to complete. If you venture to this track the timing was done from virtually tarmac to tarmac, you will understand where I mean onsite.
2011JanChiangDaoEnduross2.png

Special section 3 was a cross country track test time trial, lots of single track with some fast dirt roads looping the single track together. We had to complete 3 laps of this test, time taken was around
54minutes
2011JanChiangDaoEnduross3.png

Special stage 4 was a repeat of special stage 1 but run as a 2 lap race rather than a time trial
2011JanChiangDaoEnduross1.png

Here are some off the final results, sorry I didn't photograph them all.
webP1300019.jpg

webP1300018.jpg

web1.jpg

Great to see you out riding the Enduros again Mark.

Were there any technical sections this round? What bike did you ride? how was the event arranged over the two days in terms of special test sections completed?

bigntall said:
Great to see you out riding the Enduros again Mark.

Were there any technical sections this round? What bike did you ride? how was the event arranged over the two days in terms of special test sections completed?

It was a last minute Saturday morning decision to go and check it out. Main reason being I would like to ride the Asian championship being held over 3 rounds in our own back yard.

The track was good, I really enjoyed the riding, The cross test was technical with maybe 300m through a creek bed, nothing over the top but it was testing.

Back
Top Bottom