Isaan Road Trip on a DT125

AlexUSA

Bikes
XR280R, Dash 125 (supercup) , DT125
]day2eten.jpg[/attachment:6371wnft]

This vehicles are known as “eetden” in Thai and are usually custom built for about 40k-70k baht. The more expensive ones are built on used pickup truck frames. I love these things. At this fuel stop, I had a gas station attendant ask for my business card to give to her daughter. I still haven't gotten a call from her...

At Loei, I turn North and follow the Mekong for the last 200km into Nong Khai. I highly recommend this route as you get the beautiful Loei farmland and spectacular Mekong views. The road is potholed but follows right along the river through great villages of traditional wood houses.

day2mekong.jpg

Day 3: Nong Khai to Kalasin

Had a pretty shitty night in Nong Khai. Was too tired to go out looking for any trouble despite a truly awesome nightlife scene in Nong Khai (had a good time on my last trip). Still, I was happy to finally be in real Isaan and I left Nong Khai to the East following the Mekong before I took my first opportunity to turn South and start following small country roads.

day3.jpg

This was one of the larger roads I travelled but a good example of the scenery.

Today was awesome. Not great riding roads but I was finally in tiny Isaan villages and seeing the agricultural lifestyle. My DT125 brought great responses and conversation at every pitstop and I couldn't be more satisfied to get off the main roads.

There was an overwhelming sugar smell everywhere as sugar cane was being harvested and taken to this factory.

day3sugartrucks.jpg

Another sight was the “Thaksin Villages”.

day3taksin.jpg

This sign says: “Red Shirt Village”.

I meandered my way back and forth in a general Southern direction until I got to Kalasin. I quite like this city and was satisfied with my room at the Pai Boon Motel. For 650 baht, the room was at the low-end of the small city hotel price range but at the high end of cleanliness and quality. Really friendly front desk staff too.

day3kalasinpaiboonmotel.jpg

Went out for food in the evening and had some drinks with the restaurant owners before finding a shop to give me some new bolts for my rack as they were falling out bumping down the roads.

Day 4: Kalasin to Ubon Ratchatani

day3kalasinhotel.jpg

Woke up to very pleasant weather in Kalasin. In contrast to the Loei area which was about as chilly as Chiang Mai was last week, the temperature was climbing in Kalasin.

The agenda for Day 4 was similar to Day 3 as I took my time cruising on small roads while trying to head South to Ubon Ratchatani.

day4-(4).jpg

day4food.jpg

Another meal at a roadside restaurant and a nice chat with the owners. I think you would have some serious problems on a trip like this if you couldn't eat Thai food or speak Thai.

Pulled into Ubon Ratchatani fairly early in the day and checked into the Sri Isaan Hotel by the river. This hotel didn't really hold up to my standards but did the job. I used the rest of the day to do some motorcycle maintenance and then tracked down a nice Ubon country girl to take to the Tessegahn New Year's Carnival. Nice insider experience of Ubon life.

Unfortunately no more real pictures of Ubon Ratchatani but quite a nice city overall.

Day 5: Train Ubon Ratchatani to Bangkok

Having reached my destination and had a bit of fun, I started thinking about heading home and put the bike on a 2nd class train to Bangkok. After buying my ticket, I dropped my friend off in her village quite a way out in the country and hung out with some moto taxi drivers as I waited for my train. One of them has a girlfriend in Doi Saket and we made plans to meet up as he's friends with the owner of a motocross track in the area.

day5ubontrain.jpg

The second class train was uncomfortable but very interesting – tons of unwanted conversations with totally hammered Thai guys all through the night.

Day 6: Train Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Got into Bangkok at about 05.00 and got some sleep before my next train at 18.00. Bangkok isn't really my favorite part of Thailand so was happy to get out of here.

day6bangkoktrain.jpg

Met this white guy with a big adventure bike going up for a vacation in Chiang Mai. Look at those poor train attendants trying to heft that thing onto the train.

Day 7: Chiang Mai

Back home for New Year's Eve. Thanks for the GPS help, Phil.

Awesome trip although I should have taken more time to hang out with some of the people I met. I totally could have spent more time in Kalasin and Ubon areas and I think I could really live in Southern Isaan in the future. Great people, no dirty backpackers or many westerners at all, good food, and of course Isaan girls love white dudes – overall great atmosphere.

Attachments

• 0map.jpg
    0map.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 1,171
  • !AlexUSAIsaanTrip.rar
    286.9 KB · Views: 266
  • day1gear.jpg
    day1gear.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 791
  • day1seeharajuttaradit.jpg
    day1seeharajuttaradit.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 743
  • day1seeharajuttaraditoutside.jpg
    day1seeharajuttaraditoutside.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 769
  • day2eten.jpg
    day2eten.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 782
Great trip, it's always great to get out of the "touristic" areas here in Thailand. As soon as you speak some Thai and are in a remote place people will be so welcoming.

Please don't tell everyone about Isaan , I live here.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Alex, Isaan has a lot of charm but some people think because its flat that its not good riding

Looks a like a great way to get away from it all and immerse yourself in local culture - nice job.

- Looks like you stay in fancier hotels than we do!

Cool trip alex!! Im reckoning you were only staying in those fancy hotels just in case you got lucky with any " friends" in the evening, that would be my technique anyway :d

Back
Top Bottom