Intl Bdr Crossing - GT Special Econ. Zone, Laos to Chiang Saen, Thai, only foot psgrs

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The international border crossing at Chiang Saen, Thailand to the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone (Ban Sibun Huang) is only open to foot passengers across the Mekong River, it is not open to civilian vehicles (car or motorcycle) even though there is a vehicle ferry service.

I hunted down the ferry landing point on the Laos side of the Mekong River in the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone (Ban Sibun Huang), big trucks were coming off, this was looking promising, co-ords of the ferry ramp are:

N20.35771

E100.08669

DSC_1543_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_1542_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

This is an immigration international border crossing between Laos & Thailand for foot passengers. Immigration exit stamps are processed in the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone office, co-ords:

N20.35591

E100.08784

20140917_134202 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Map below shows everything in relation to Chiang Khong, Thailand, which is to the west on the other side of the Mekong River

View attachment 31198
ramp zoom with txt.jpg

I went into the office and asked about immigration exit to Thailand, they said no problem. I then asked if I could use the ferry service, they said no, they were not set up for customs clearance of vehicles, you must go to Houay Xai and enter Thailand at Chiang Khong.

Back
Top Bottom