Ingenious cheap (FREE) helmet communications idea

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
I was watching the Bangkok taxi drivers use this piece of software to "push to talk" (real time communications) to each other and it gave me the idea.

A piece of software called "Zello" can be loaded on any phone, tablet or computer (Mac?) and turns that device into a walkie talkie/ push-to-talk device, enabling real time communications and its free.

zellow downloads by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

zello by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

So you need data/ internet service to make it work, these days on road rides, you're rarely without data connection. If you mount your android phone on the bars or on your jacket, use a earphone with a mic., push the phone screen and you have real time communications with other riders while riding free.

Your phone screen will look like this, push the circle to talk real time:

Screenshot_2015-05-03-13-27-26.png by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Download link:

https://zello.com/

Might put Scala out of business!!

Also means from a computer you could talk to someone on call all the time while they're riding giving directions etc...

Interesting, will try it! My user name will be brake034 as usual. And similar avatar.

There is a hands free option in the options settings, great for activating while riding

hands free.JPG

Now let's figure out how the channels work?!

Smashing!! Someday they will come up with an app to pour draft beer throu the phone! :bliss:

The belt clip on my Rokform phone case doubles as a bottle opener. Doesn't pour, but will open the bottle. :-)

Another handy one for group rides is that there are loads of friend locator apps (some for parents to monitor kid etc) Set up yoru ride group and any time the group gets seperated you can ping it and it tells you were everyone is.. Great to work out if they took a wrong turn, stopped at that petrol station a km back, or just a few 100m behind you. Saves on that 'have they binned it' worry.

Another handy one for group rides is that there are loads of friend locator apps (some for parents to monitor kid etc) Set up yoru ride group and any time the group gets seperated you can ping it and it tells you were everyone is.. Great to work out if they took a wrong turn, stopped at that petrol station a km back, or just a few 100m behind you. Saves on that 'have they binned it' worry.

Tinder?

I was using one simply called 'friend locator' or friends locator.. I took it off my phone on a recent rd trip as it was using battery (I guess GPS) while I wasnt using the app and my old phone is starting to get battery fade.. What I liked about this one was it made setting up a group of people real simple. Some of the more parent type ones needed SMS'ing or codes, this was as easy as each person having the app and making a group.

Good for groups who may go at different speeds.

Back
Top Bottom