Indonesian Registered Motorbike to Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, ... (SE Asia)

MOTOTRIP.ASIA

Bikes
Yamaha X-Ride
Hi there,

I'm planing to continue my great trip on my small indonesian motorbike (scooter Yamaha X-Ride) from Bali throught Jawa, Sumatra to Malaysia, (if possible Singapore), Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. I listen that to Vietnam and Burma it isn't possible to enter with motorbike from abroad...

Please, what I will need to cross borders to that countries with my motorbike, which is registered in Indonesia on name of my good indonesian friend?

Last year I already drove my bike from Bali until Timor-Leste and back - 2 months, more than 10.000 km, 22 islands and lot of fun. :scooter:

This year I will join my friends who will be driving old Trabant cars from Australia to Bangkok (Trabant cars head to Australia for documentary - PRAGUE POST | The Voice of Prague) throught Bali, where I will join to them. :)

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Jirka (from Czech Republic)

Not sure what the rules are in Indonesia about taking a motorbike out of the country which is not in your name (in Thailand you need to have written authorization from the owner to take the bike out of the country) but it probably is best to contact the Silverhawk Motorcycle club as I know that they have organized motorbike trips from Indonesia to Malaysia so they probably will know what is required in terms of paperwork. Contact them at https://silverhawkmotorcycles.wordpress.com/about/ or through their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SilverhawkMc

Hi there,

I'm planing to continue my great trip on my small indonesian motorbike (scooter Yamaha X-Ride) from Bali throught Jawa, Sumatra to Malaysia, (if possible Singapore), Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. I listen that to Vietnam and Burma it isn't possible to enter with motorbike from abroad...

Please, what I will need to cross borders to that countries with my motorbike, which is registered in Indonesia on name of my good indonesian friend?

Last year I already drove my bike from Bali until Timor-Leste and back - 2 months, more than 10.000 km, 22 islands and lot of fun. :scooter:

This year I will join my friends who will be driving old Trabant cars from Australia to Bangkok (Trabant cars head to Australia for documentary - PRAGUE POST | The Voice of Prague) throught Bali, where I will join to them. :)

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Jirka (from Czech Republic)
Mototrip. Did you have any issues with this journey, im currently in Sulawesi and hoping to cross the Malaysian border in Borneo with a motorbike bought in Lombok. I have both ownership book and tax book but of course in true indo style its all in the name of the original owner... Any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated. Ofcourse i know this is an old post but its very hard to find information online.

Thanks
Ben

My wife has sent Thai bikes in her name across both Cambodian and Laos borders. There is significant paperwork in order to do so - copies of her Identification card, a power of attorney authorising a specific person to take the bike, and so on. Trying to cross a border using a book in someone else's name without such paperwork is almost certainly not going to work.

Back
Top Bottom