Import Taxes for European Bikes with ASEAN? 2015+

Vasilis

Bikes
Yamaha Xmax - Suzuki Vstrom 650 - Misc Scooters
Hey folks...

Sorry if this have been asked again...(searched about 20 mins with no results)

Any idea if the import taxes in Thailand for the European Big Bikes will get lower after beginning of 2015 cause of ASEAN?

I want to buy a new BMW Adventure but the price is 2x times more expensive than back in Europe...even though BMW have manufacturing facilities in ASEAN countries (don't know about Thai specifically)

Back in Europe it costs new full extra around 18-20.000 Euro and here the same bike will cost me around 35-40.000 Euro which is a lot of money to think off...

Any ideas? Should i wait for 2015 or there is no clue about lowering the import taxes?

Thanks for your time :-)

Vasilis

Yamaha have said at trade shows, that they are holding various models back from Thailand until ASEAN 2015 kicks in, which will give tax breaks to Asian (Japanese) motorcycle manufactures that do not assemble certain models in Thailand & wish to sell them in Thailand.

I think until its here, no one will really be sure how it shakes out.. Thailand signed up to all kinds of WTO agreements it then ignored or sidestepped with get out clauses.

It easily possible that taxes will fall but some other new fee will be made to keep the domestic market in higher competition.

I think the next couple of years will see some big changes, I mean we already see big changes with the ducatis, the MT9, the v strom, the F800 all being priced decently and increasing the options from the old Kawasaki or mega price. Its not a time to be sinking mega money into bikes IMO unless your not that bothered about resale or losses.

Hey thanks for your reply folks...

I'm clinging to what you mentioned LivinLOS...i mean it's double the price so i could save that money for something else...

Let's wait and see then :-)

Any link where we can find updates and news about what will happen as the time gets closer ?

Thanks for your time.

Vasilis

Yamaha have said at trade shows, that they are holding various models back from Thailand until ASEAN 2015 kicks in, which will give tax breaks to Asian (Japanese) motorcycle manufactures that do not assemble certain models in Thailand & wish to sell them in Thailand.

Actually Thailand already had a separate agreement with Japan for motorcycle import taxes where they started reducing the tax by 10% every year and phase it out completely by 2016. Japan opened their borders for "made in Thailand"...

European bikes will get cheaper as most manufacturers are implementing (at least) assemblies in Thailand to gain access to the ASEA economy...BMW has a car assembly facility in Rayong and has been expanding it so they do already benefit from import tax discounts...but it is up to BMW Thailand how much of these discounts are passed along to the end user.

As I mentioned in earlier thread...due to the lousy service provided by BMW dealers and the neglect of BMW Thailand to do anything about it I will not be buying another BMW here in Thailand. I will wait until 2016 before buying a new bike here in Thailand.

Yes Alex you are correct there, lots of people did.

Fortunately I bought the F650GS which was reliable but when the battery failed I was fobbed off with the 90 day warranty on batteries in Thailand whereas the rest of the world honoured the 2 years unlimited mileage warranty

in fact where is the YZ450 and the rest of the line(+WR)?? would buy one tomorrow ;)

in fact where is the YZ450 and the rest of the line(+WR)?? would buy one tomorrow ;)

Max says he has the price list on the YZ line and it was fairly reasonable.. I believe hes looking at ordering one v soon.

Yes Alex you are correct there, lots of people did.

Fortunately I bought the F650GS which was reliable but when the battery failed I was fobbed off with the 90 day warranty on batteries in Thailand whereas the rest of the world honoured the 2 years unlimited mileage warranty

I got the same spiel when the HP2 battery gave up after only months...then the new one (that had cost me 5,000baht) crapped out again after a few months and was again only guaranteed for 3 months. The aftermarket I got that time never died, I sold the bike with it...(but BMW made a point to tell me that my electrical system would not be guaranteed if I installed a non original component...they went as far as blaming the "non original" battery for the fuel pump problems I had...and the aftermarket exhaust (at that time I told them the fuel pump problems were certainly caused by the LED flashers I installed surely not because everywhere else in the world there was a recall).

But, as BMW Motorrad Gmbh explained, these issues are out of their control, the policy is set by BMW Thailand because normally BMW Motorrad only carries the responsibility for the new components, the execution of any recalls, warranty work and the labour costs associated with those are shared between BMW Thailand and the dealers executing the work. So we know where the money extorted for the free components goes...

As the motorcycling industry starts to grow in Thailand BMW Thailand will have to start changing their ways or face loosing a major market share because as the masses take on biking they will not get their volume increase sales from the few thai high-so as they do now. They will have to start passing some of those discounts down...

It would be hard to keep claiming an exclusive product when even Ducati is now significantly cheaper then they are. I would guess that they are now milking it for as long as they can but within a year or two we will see the R1200GS and it's Adventure brother in the same price range as a Multistrada...Benelli will also be cheaper as they have an established a joint venture with QuiangJiang Motor of China.

Only few small Europeans like Moto Morini have not yet entered Asia...Unlike MV Agusta that established a JV with Lifan purely to enter the Chinese market, companies like Benelli are more actively involved, supplying engineering and materials expertise for the "privilege" of having their models manufactured in China and Thailand like Keeway (Qijang/Benelli assembled in Thailand) for example.

The dynamics brought to the motorcycle industry by the ASEA deal will greatly outweigh the importance of Thai import taxes for vehicles (these taxes are not set to be eliminated like the taxes on Japanese motorcycles which are being phased out based on a different deal predating ASEA) as prices will be dramatically affected by locally manufactured "European" motorcycles...however, it will take another year until we see the lowest prices on some models and by the end of 2016-2017 the market will have adjusted and averaged out with prices reflecting more of quality build then origin of manufacturing.

If you're in the market for a new vehicle end of this year and next year will be the right time to get the best deals on your specific models you desire...just my opinion of course.

not bad although i would buy a 450..and yes,is legally imported but that doesn't mean you go to yamaha square service (or any other smaller shop) in CM and buy parts ..
(please correct me if i am wrong) i went to ask for a YZ or WR450 ,i got those 'classic' alien looks ..like who knows what I was talking about.. meaning no service or warranty (?)

I think the YZF 250 mx bike is 270,000 bht legally imported.

'Legally imported' and 'main dealer service and support' not being equal..

Wonder what the WR450 price is..

exactely,but sad .becouse it it doesn't have a plate and cannot cross border (?) that is an amazing bike anyway,easy to drive like a 250..but plenty more power.my bro had 1,it first came out as a wr400 back then.few differences from YZ ,like the gear..
wondering why Yamaha don't realize there is a market here?-- don't have any enduro/mx for sale in TH

'Legally imported' and 'main dealer service and support' not being equal..

Wonder what the WR450 price is..

wondering why Yamaha don't realize there is a market here?-- don't have any enduro/mx for sale in TH

Maybe not Euro III compliant.. Even tho they are now FI..

Honda big wing have the CRF450 but no books / Plates.

thanks mate, i recently bought a CRF250 with plate there (my 'xmas present' ;) nice little bike. but I also like Yamaha a lot ,we had a few..
shame NA here. well let's see the BKK bike fest in july,but i don't expect big news

Maybe not Euro III compliant.. Even tho they are now FI..

Honda big wing have the CRF450 but no books / Plates.

Thats the YZF, but still not too awful considering its not grey import.

Both that 450 and the 250 YZF's are going to be fairly niche track only MX machines..

yep..I had a YZ250 2 stroke in Italy..difficoult not to do wheelies even in 4rd gear ;) I'll ask around about the WR at the bike fest in BKK next week or so..maybe there they know what i am talkin about.I 'll let u know but i imagine a similar price for 450 (?)

Thats the YZF, but still not too awful considering its not grey import.

Both that 450 and the 250 YZF's are going to be fairly niche track only MX machines..

si dai..se passi da ste parti (Pai ) fai un fischio .ciao

Originale "Veneziano mangia gatti" qui...ma invecchiato in Svizzera e speso (troppi) anni in Canada...ma la natura non cambia mai, giusto?

si dai..se passi da ste parti (Pai ) fai un fischio .ciao

Per qualche tempo mi son promesso di tornare nel "nord" per visitare I soci che ci facciamo qui ma purtroppo per il momento la situazione rimane complicata. (sai come sono le cose quando ci si fa inculare per la fiduciaria ) comunque si, fra qualche mesetto come mi rimetto son di nuovo in starda, Ti faccio sapere, salutoni. Alex.

Back
Top Bottom