I crossed at Huai Kon - Muang Ngeun (Nan) with motorbike

al-klx

Bikes
KLX 250 Thailand,KLR650 Alaska, Harley Davidson Road King in USA
No problem on December 27,2013.
Only about 1 hour for both sides.:ride:
Al

Question about road to Luang Prabang from Nan crossing

Hey, quick question for you... after you crossed into Laos did you take the road to Luang Prabang? I am wondering if the condition of the road is good enough that a large street bike can get through. I am riding a GS 1200 with street tires on it... wondering if the road would be passable with a large bike, or if its really a track for dirt bikes. Thank you in advance for the information. Matt

There is a dirt road (Road 4B) from Hongsa to the east to Luang Prabang and cross the Mekong by Ferry. This generally should be OK for road bikes in the dry season but I have not been driving that for quite some time so don't know the present condition.

The other option is to head south-east from Hongsa to Xayaboury on road 4A and from there head north-east on road 4 to Mueang Nan, crossing the new bridge over the Mekong to Xiengneun and on to Luang Prabang. This is mostly paved with the exception of a stretch between Muang Nan and Xiengneun but that should be plain sailing for a big bike as this part is planned to be paved in 2-3 months or so.

Another option is to head directly after the border crossing north to Pakbeng on road 2W with a Mekong crossing by Ferry, then onwards to Oudomxai, then east on road 13N to Pakmong and then south of road 13N to Luang Prabang. The road from Oudomxay to Pakmong was very bad but they have filled in the largest potholes but it won't be very easy for a big road bike.

Personally I probably would take the option from Hongsa to Xayaboury to Xiengneun as I assume that you are not riding in a group.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom