Huge fire in Vientiane market

Not sure what happened and I feel sorry for the shop owners who lost all their merchandise - have been there a few times and indeed it was old and a lot of wooden buildings/structures and a fire would quickly destroy it. A few years ago the Nongbone/That Luang market burned down also in the middle of the night. At that time it was indicated by the local population that a Vietnamese company was going to build the That Luang Shopping Center in that location and that is indeed what is happening at the moment so it might also be a quick way to "clear a site" to make a fast buck.

Here is the article posted in Vientiane Times:

Massive market blaze rips the heart out of Thongkhankham

A terrible blaze ripped through Thongkhankham market in Vientiane on Wednesday night, gutting the entirety of the complex and burning out over 300 stalls as hundreds of residents and stallholders watched on in horror. Devastated vendors despaired as their livelihoods were going up in front of them while residents of the Thongkhankham area were terrified that the blaze might spread from the market complex itself to the nearby houses in the densely populated neighbourhood.

An officer from the Vientiane Fire Fighting department reported yesterday that it was the largest fire in Vientiane this year and that it was very lucky that no one was killed in the massive inferno. At the scene, Vientiane Times reporters managed to speak with Mr Khamlek Phomphachanh, 57, who has been a security guard at the Thongkhankham market for almost 10 years. He told the press that he and another three people were there at the beginning of the fire.

“While I was turning off the lights in the market just before leaving, I heard a woman shouting to me that there was some red thing inside the market. When I looked, I was shocked and knew then that it was a fire.” The witness said it occurred at about 8.15pm. He and his friend ran to the scene with two fire extinguishers and attempted to put it out but the blaze spread rapidly and quickly engulfed the market. “The fire began at a stall selling Buddhist alters and shrines. They are made from very light wood which burns easily so the fire spread very quickly,” Mr Khamlek explained.

Over 30 fire trucks from different depots were on hand to battle the blaze, which saw a massive plume of thick black smoke billowing up into the air, which was visible from most of the city. Fire crews came from the Vientiane Fire Fighting Department, the General Police Department from the Ministry of Public Security, the Airport and Vientiane Urban and Development Authority.

The Vientiane Fire Fighting Department reported that the blaze was already well out of control when they arrived. The situation was further complicated by the crowd of onlookers watching on and those still trying to rescue goods from the market. The narrow streets on the back side of the market also hampered the firefighting effort. Officials reported that all they could do was spray water to try and stop the fire from spreading to nearby houses and businesses because the market stalls were already lost. The inferno raged for about five hours before fire crews had it anywhere near under control but there were still spot fires burning at midday the next day with the market a smoking ruin.

Vendors and businesses operating out of Thongkhankham have lost everything. One devastated textile vendor said she had just lost 125 million kip worth of silks. “I just paid 20 million kip for the next products in my stall to sell for Lao New Year. How will I pay the money back?” she asked with tears in her eyes. Her story is likely to be just one of hundreds the same. The future of the market and the livelihoods of the traders is now well and truly up in the air.

Thongkhankham market was one of the biggest markets in Vientiane. The market covered about 16,000 to 20,000 square metres but 90 percent of that area is now completely burnt out. It was originally established in the 1980s. Chathabouly district administration office reported that trade fairs were historically held in the area for a very long time and so the district officially established it as Thongkhankham marketplace.

As the remains of the market still smoldered yesterday morning, police had cordoned off the area for investigation. The relevant officials must also start calculating the traders' losses. It is not clear what will happen to the site.

Over 40 fires have occurred in Vientiane so far in 2014. This is the third market fire this year. The first was at Thangon market, Xaythany district and the second was at Nonsa-ard village, Chanthabouly district, Vientiane.

Damn.... and if that's what happened (clearing a site)... I hope Karma pays a visit to all the pricks involved. May the bluebird of happiness forever build its nest in their nostrils.

Back
Top Bottom