Houei Xai to Pak Beng

Mark Rossi

houeixai-PakBeng.png

I have ridden this trail a few times. The first time being just as the roadworks had been finished linking together Houei Xai to Pak Beng, along the east bank of the Mekong River in February 2009.
At this time the villages on the southern side of Phiang Kham where remote, super poor and rarely visited. The villagers showed obvious fear as we rode through, making it difficult to take a photo.
Now present day less than 2 years later the villages are still poor, but not as remote, and the fear of travelers has subsided.
Photo by Luke
web600IMG_0221.jpg

This was one of the most rewarding rides I have done. What help enhance our ride, was the fact that we where processed very slow by Thai customs. This snow balled the effect of us running late. It was not until 11.47 when we reported to Laos customs to be informed they are closing for lunch and will not start our temporary import application until 2pm.
It all seemed a little disastrous, I had made arrangements to meet KTM Phil in Pak Beng. The trail had to be ridden and we only had 3 hours of day light, sunset being just after 6pm.
To cut a long story short, if I remember correctly we arrived about 7:30pm into Pak Beng. We rode in the dark for the last 1hr, but I would not have change the trip, if I had it to relive.
The benefits of riding through villages just before dusk is very understated. Its the time of day when all have returned home to their respective homes and the village is a hive of activity.
The shyness I had witnessed on our first trip through this area has definitely disappeared, the hundreds of children running out waving their arms in the air yelling "Sabaidee" remains very memorable.

web600PA120030.jpg

Photo by Luke
web600IMG_0158.jpg

web600PA130046.jpg

web600PA120026.jpg

Photo by Luke
web600IMG_0128.jpg

Photo by Luke
web600IMG_0203.jpg

Photo by Luke
web600IMG_0197.jpg

web600PA120034-1.jpg

Khun Naa photo by Luke
web600IMG_0140.jpg

web600PA120023.jpg

Photo by Luke
web600IMG_0167.jpg

Yes Luke took some amazing pics of the locals, he definitely has a talent for it.
It is such a poverty stricken area in the mountains through here. I plan to take some warm clothes next trip for the villages, as you can see the children hardly have any clothing.
I am starting to collect now, clothing to take in December 2011 anyone interested in donating clothing or riding over to provide the clothing is more than welcome to join. I am sure it will be a fun and rewarding ride.
my email is markrossi112@hotmail.com

Mark Rossi said:
I am starting to collect now, clothing to take in December 2011 anyone interested in donating clothing or riding over to provide the clothing is more than welcome to join. I am sure it will be a fun and rewarding ride.

You still doing this Mark?....

:DD

Chris - Mark is back in Australia currently, I'll contact him and see what his plan is.

Ktm Chris said:
[quote="Mark Rossi":27xme1zb]I am starting to collect now, clothing to take in December 2011 anyone interested in donating clothing or riding over to provide the clothing is more than welcome to join. I am sure it will be a fun and rewarding ride.

You still doing this Mark?....

:DD[/quote:27xme1zb]

Back
Top Bottom