Hi Its me!

DaGimp

Pete that is,

Hello world....

I was directed to this site by a friend who now lives in Thailand. I told him I was interested in Backpacking across asia (specifically starting in Thailand) and I also asked him about purchasing a motorcycle for my trip while I was there. The more I read this site the more I think Motorcycling around Asia would be better than relying on public transportation.

I am hoping to do this fairly limited funds, for example some of the posts I've read mention very high fee's just to be to ride into Vietnam. Those sort of fee's are outside of my budget...

Anyhow got any pointers for the new guy? I have owned several street bikes and dirt bikes but I dont currently ride.

TYIA

You will have a hard time even buying a motorcycle on a tourist visa and crossing borders on a small, budget friendly (less than 250cc) motorcycle is also problematic. Vietnam and Myanmar require tour guides for vehicle access. Do lots of research before you come, there is lots of info out there on the web if you just spend some time and look. If you read some of the posts here you would have had a lot of questions answered.

You will have a hard time even buying a motorcycle on a tourist visa and crossing borders on a small, budget friendly (less than 250cc) motorcycle is also problematic. Vietnam and Myanmar require tour guides for vehicle access. Do lots of research before you come, there is lots of info out there on the web if you just spend some time and look. If you read some of the posts here you would have had a lot of questions answered.

It is the same crossing borders whether the bike is 250cc or more or smaller. No problem at all crossing borders on a scooter as long as your paper work is correct. Vietnam is OK to start from and then can travel to the other countries. Entry to Vietnam with other plates can be problematic. If starting from Thailand with a Thai plated scooter in your name it is relatively easy to visit , Malaysia, Cambodia and Laos. If having a problem getting a Thai scooter into your name get a longer visa (90 days) or just try in another province (the rules vary by location ). Plenty of information on this site and another riders site also based in Thailand. Good luck.

It is the same crossing borders whether the bike is 250cc or more or smaller. No problem at all crossing borders on a scooter as long as your paper work is correct.

I have read of Laos not wanting to process scooters over, even tho the law looks at them the same.

I would add bikes are cheap in Cambodia.. Saw an XR200 on facebook PP buy and sell for 800 ish usd asking price. Not a lot of money for a bike that could plod over pretty rough stuff.

I would add bikes are cheap in Cambodia.. Saw an XR200 on facebook PP buy and sell for 800 ish usd asking price. Not a lot of money for a bike that could plod over pretty rough stuff.

Thanks Guys,

I dont understand the requirement for Guides in order to ride. Without a vehicle you wouldnt be required to have one?

When I mentioned to my friend that was interested in buying a bike when I got there I specifically mentioned a CBR300. After reading this site I know think something more like a dual sport is going to be required.

I'm reading on this site when I have time, can you recommend a few threads that cover the basics really well?

Thanks Guys,

I dont understand the requirement for Guides in order to ride. Without a vehicle you wouldnt be required to have one?

Yes, you can go to Vietnam and Myanmar, hire a bike and you don't need a guide but when you want to ride into Vietnam or Myanmar you need to have prior approval and a guide. The logic of this escapes me as well as many others but that seems to be the rule.

Back
Top Bottom