Hi from sunny Yorkshire

chris

Bikes
DRZ400, Africa Twin, Transalp
Hi guys
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've done quite a bit of riding which is described in my website at http://www.thebrightstuff.com Currently I travel on a drz400, an Africa Twin and a couple of Transalps. Also have a Triumph with lots of chrome for the pavement only. I've been to SE Asia a few times, the last time was 1995, but only with a rucksack.

I'm flying from the UK to Chiang Mai between 17 and 27 December this year and am renting a xr250 with the intention of riding as many trails as I can. I've already purchased the paper maps available from GT-rider and will also buy the new GPS map and paper map from Rider's Corner.

When I've had time to research a bit more about the trails in northern Thailand, I'll post some route questions that will hopefully not sound too stupid. Having said that, if anyone wants to point me in the right direction, I wouldn't have a problem with that. :RE

If you're trail riding in the short time I'm about (17 to 27 Dec), maybe we could team up? Or drink a beer? Or both?

Many thanks
Chris

Hi Chris
Many thanks for the link. Having read through the thread it looks like you'll be spending a lot of time over in Laos. I imagine I will have to leave my passport as a deposit for the rented bike, so might struggle to get over the border. In the short time I have I think I’ll be sticking to northern Thailand. Or do you think I'll have time to get to Laos and back in 9 days and still enjoy myself?

One of the (GT) maps I have shows some dirt road detail north-west and west of Chiang Mai. The other GT maps lack detail. Would you suggest I stick to this area or is north east worth a punt too?

Are there any particular routes anyone can suggest: I’m an experienced dirt rider, with maybe 20 kg of soft luggage on a XR250, preferring single or twin track. Start/via/end points will do. I can work out the bits in between. The track mentioned in huai-nam-dang-to-pai-road-t188.html looks very interesting.

I have both the RC paper and gps map on order so I can check more ideas in advance. Hopefully the floods won’t slow the Thai postal service too much.

Cheers for any help.
Chris

A partial answer to my own question: Having spent some time browsing the forum, I just found the trail ride reports section at trail-riding-reports-f47.html

Lots of great routes! Now all I need is a decent map! Hurry up Mr Postman...

chris said:
A partial answer to my own question: Having spent some time browsing the forum, I just found the trail ride reports section at trail-riding-reports-f47.html

Chris - the trail riding reports section should have plenty for you to mull over. Also Auke's GPS map with unique dirt trail data and printed map, would keep you going for a whole riding season.

KTMphil said:
chris said:

Chris - the trail riding reports section should have plenty for you to mull over. Also Auke's GPS map with unique dirt trail data and printed map, would keep you going for a whole riding season.

Hi Phil
I assume Auke's GPS and printed map are the same ones you sold to Greg last week, who has posted them on to me. Here's hoping the floods in BKK don't delay their journey to me too long. I'll be doing lots more reading of the trail ride reports :D

cheers
Chris

Yep same Chris

chris said:
KTMphil said:
chris said:

Hi Phil
I assume Auke's GPS and printed map are the same ones you sold to Greg last week, who has posted them on to me. Here's hoping the floods in BKK don't delay their journey to me too long. I'll be doing lots more reading of the trail ride reports :D

cheers
Chris

Paper and gps maps arrived today in foggy Yorkshire. They were only sent last Wednesday, which considering the possibility of flood related delays is particularly fast. Thanks for sorting it so that G could run the errand for me.

Paper map looks very detailed, particularly on dirt roads/trails which is just what I was looking for. Gps map seems to work fine in my device with all the roads/tracks and map contours, as well as lots of POIs.

Now I need to do my homework... ;)

Can't wait til mid December!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Capss Introductions 1