Hey from Sumbawa - Indonesia - Kawasaki KLX150 discussion

Manuel

Hey hey hey... :phil

Here Manuel from Sumbawa - Indonesia.

This is what I ride at the moment..

Kawasaki KLX150 - Seriously modified -
klx150.jpg

http://www.manuelcarulli.com/public...http://www.manuelcarulli.com/public/tiger.jpg

Suzuki Satria 120cc - Heavily modified -
2stroke.jpg

http://www.manuelcarulli.com/public/2stroke.jpg

Great forum happy to be here,
Manuel

Re: Hey from Sumbawa - Indonesia

Hi Manuel. What exactly have you done to the KLX150? Are those 18/21 Expedition rims? Should have an update on my own KLX150 in a few days... Finally.

crs said:
Hi Manuel. What exactly have you done to the KLX150? Are those 18/21 Expedition rims? Should have an update on my own KLX150 in a few days... Finally.

This is what i've done in brief:

Bike:
Expedition rims 21-18
Delitire semi tires 21-90-90 / 18-120-80
SDR swing arm
Extended front forks
SSS 14-48 sprockets
SSS 428/140 chain
Protaper EVO low handlebar
Acerbis handsguard

Engine:
CDI BRT Neo Dualband
FMF powercore4 full system
Carburetor KEIHIN PE 28 Ø
Honda tiger clutch springs and disc
Modified internal airbox and removed the PAIR valve

I will do a big bore-up after I got the kit. ;)

Hi Manuel, hows the weather in sumbawa for the next couple of months?

alexuk said:
Hi Manuel, hows the weather in sumbawa for the next couple of months?

The dry season has just begun = SUN SUN SUN !!! :lol:

I've been to flores- whats to do in sumbawa?
PS I was impressed with crs big bore kit, plenty power there

Much similar to mine - I imported many parts from Indonesia... ;)

http://www.factortrailshop.com/ (Check the Angry Birds clothes - tempting... Heehee.)

Kawasaki Boss 175 big bore
modded KLX140 cam (well, apparently that's what it is!)
Keihin PE 28 copy carb
Upgraded starter motor
CDI BRT Hyperband (derestrict)
locally made full exhaust
modded airbox
KLX140 front brake pads
Front fork extenders
18/21 Expedition rims (wheels being built now hopefully) with IRC enduro tyres
SDD extended swing arm
13/47 sprockets
KLX250 gear and custom brake levers (hinged)
Protaper KLX110 raised bars
skid pan.
Also getting some of these in a few weeks when they arrive in Thailand: http://www.drcproducts.com/body/d35-01-113/index.html

We don't have the Honda Tiger here (or the same style Suzuki Smash) so couldn't swap to those clutch parts - but did do this: http://hobi-otomotif.blogspot.com/2010/ ... selip.html.

What did you do to your air box? Just drilled more holes in the side panel or?
What front mudguard have you put on?
PAIR valve???

Not tested my bike yet. Hopefully I'll get to soon - and hopefully it'll be good!

Hi & a very warm welcome to RideAsia.

Ally

crs:

Good setup, post pictures of your bike when you get it!
If I can give you my opinion, I would change:

-CDI with BRT i-max (better with bored engine)
-carb with KEHIN PWK 28 (better with bored engine)
-get original carb original unless you want to re-jet it every few days!
-imported exhaust system (forget the local :topes stuff - get FMF, 2brothers or big gun)
-put any kind of racing clutch springs (more torque)

:RO

What exactly means "Upgraded starter motor" ? :hmm

As for my airbox, I made a bigger intake air hole and removed the sponge.
As for mudguard, back one I cut it off and the front fender with KTM.

This is the pair valve:
PAIR_valve.jpg

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/wp-content/image_gallery/tech/engine/desmog/VTX_1300/PAIR_valve.jpg

remove all you see, and close the holes.

alexuk:

I never been to Flores, but Sumbawa it's my paradise.

World class surfing and fishing, great snorkeling, hiking , many many many empty beaches, cool waterfalls and caves
Motocross tracks and some epic touring trips!

Hi Manuel.
PAIR valve - understand now, thanks. Gone already.
Re. other parts - have tried to use locally sourced parts as importing from Indonesia gets expensive and takes time (and I do not understand Indonesian so translating can be difficult!).
No Thai distributer for BRT, racing springs, etc, etc. yet - Kawasaki have only just started to sell the KLX150 here. (Though we do have the KLX140.) Would be good to have the KLX150 modifying scene / shops you have in Indonesia here locally!
Upgraded starter motor = after big bore, standard starter was not strong enough...Sometimes you can squeeze the KLX250 starter in - if you use a little adapter bracket. Depends how your carb and exhaust fit. If not, you can upgrade the starter internals.
Airbox - I've removed the air filter from street bikes before but for trail riding, think an air filter of some kind is a good idea.
KTM front - looks good.

How much did you raise the front forks?

Will post a pic when I get it back.

Sumbawa sounds nice - especially with dry season just starting! (Opposite to here.)

Cris, does the klx150 have the kacr auto-decompressor?

crs:

The front forks extensions are 7cm.
What exactly include your big bore kit ?

Alex - Not sure about the auto decompressor. No problems with mine though after the starter upgrade. The boss(?) at Kawasaki CM fitted a KLX250 starter to his KLX140(custom 190-200cc?).
Manuel - Kawasaki Boss piston and barrel after bore. It's not a bought kit - just what they fit to KLX140s around here. For you, I'd go with whatever they've tried and tested to work well locally. Seen Indonesia advertised 170cc and 180cc kits. Maybe check http://www.kawahara-racing.com. (Sure you already know but http://www.kaskus.co.id has lots of info and suppliers.)

Ok thanks, let me know when you get the bike !

Can you rent bikes in sumbawa?
Is the surf good for beginners?

No mate, you can rent a bike just in bali or lombok.
Ya have some few good spots for beginners, but you must bring your own board.

contact me if you need more info, easy.

Looks good crs !!!

let me know your top speed hehehe

Hey crs, lets all see that ;)

IMG_0341.JPG

Ally

Not sure, but are the rims on this bike not standard size? If so do you not have issues/interference when the suspension takes a large compression?

Manuel - thanks. Playing with gearing now. On 13/47 but might do like you and put a 14 on front. Wanted to do 15/50or51 but not found a long enough chain!

Ta Ally... I was being lazy.

johnny - 21-1.60/18-2.15 rims with an extended swing arm (you can fit with original but bit of a squeeze) and 2cm fork extenders (made in CM but Ohlins make fork extenders too!) so shouldn't be any clashing and bashing. See spec here: kawasaki-f62/kawasaki-150-klx-d-tracker-choices-2012-t1864-20.html#p15210

crs: i got three setup:

everyday 14-48
off-road (dry season) 12-52
off-road (wet season) 12-56

top speed ???

johnnysneds said:
Not sure, but are the rims on this bike not standard size? If so do you not have issues/interference when the suspension takes a large compression?

usually the back tire hit the frame :eek1

Manuel said:
crs: i got three setup:

everyday 14-48
off-road (dry season) 12-52
off-road (wet season) 12-56

top speed ???

Just remembered - the KLX150 you have and the Thai one don't have the same gearing. Eg. mine came with 15/43 sprockets where as I think yours will have come with 14/44 sprockets.

Top speed with 13/47 and the big wheels? - not sure yet. Will check on GPS when next out... (I'm used to 600-1000 sports bikes so really not interested in the KLX for speed.) If you are interested in the big bore performance though, it is a large improvement, but won't add too much to top end speed when using low gearing.

crs said:
Just remembered - the KLX150 you have and the Thai one don't have the same gearing. Eg. mine came with 15/43 sprockets where as I think yours will have come with 14/44 sprockets.

I wonder why.... :hmm

Manuel said:
crs said:

I wonder why.... :hmm

The Thai one hasn't got a kickstart either - and has extra emissions stuff as well (and not so nice rear foot pegs). It's because the Thai one is using more of the old Thai KLX125 (fuel injected) parts, I think. But the 125 has 14/47 so... :roll:

crs said:
The Thai one hasn't got a kickstart either - and has extra emissions stuff as well (and not so nice rear foot pegs). It's because the Thai one is using more of the old Thai KLX125 (fuel injected) parts, I think. But the 125 has 14/47 so... :roll:

No kickstart :WTF

Weeee!

Read 110kph on an iPhone GPS app with 13/47. No idea what the gearing is inside as no parts book to check available in Thailand yet - but might be the same as yours. That's OK for me for this bike, I think.

Might fit a kickstart if I can get one.

Good you might be lighter than me.
I weight 85kg and with 14-48 i can't get over 80kph !

Re: Hey from Sumbawa - Indonesia - Kawasaki KLX150 discussio

Probably a skinny 65kg now - not done any training for many months... I'm sure the big bore will give you a bit more!

Hey Manuel

I have a KLX150 and really like it. I like Sumbawa even more and have enjoyed every ride I've had there. I live in Lombok April - Sept and Australia the rest of the time. Are you working at Newmont by any chance?

Of all the mods you've made which three would you recommend as being the most effective and why?

Cheers

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TJWally Introductions 5