Hello from CA - and a question!

createabang

Bikes
DRZ400SM
Hi all, we caught the SE Asia travel bug from some of the travelers we met at the HU Calif meeting last fall. Will be arriving in Chiang Mai early Feb to spend the month exploring N Thailand and whatever else pops up. We'll drop into Riders Corner for a proper orientation first thing. :DD

A question - we're arriving BKK at noon, how much time should we allow for customs, immigration, etc before scheduling a flight out to CNX?

Thanks and look forward to meeting some of you in CM,
Mike & Sandy

It depends on a) if you can check your luggage through to Chiangmai or have to pick it up at the airport and check it in again and b) depending on which airline you are booked on to fly to Chingmai as some (Nok Air) are based on the old airport and you will have to take bus ride from the new to the old airport and c) the time you arrive as there are periods with a lot of flights arriving more or less at the same time which may cause long waiting times at immigration..

I normally make sure that I have some 3 hours between connecting flights when the connecting flight leaves from the same airport.

With no checked bags, and a connection at the same airport, you probably don't need 3 hours.

They will do the Immigration process in the Transit Lounge before you board the connector to Chiang Mai. Just follow the signs for International Passenger Transit. Then you will go through Customs in Chiang Mai.

Be advised that getting through Customs in Chiang Mai is slower than in Bangkok. The agents don't have much to do, and check more bags. If anything is questionable, it is better to do Customs and Immigration in Bangkok, then recheck in for the Domestic flight.

Thanks to all - and another question. Sandy would like to get a bit of minor dermatological surgery done while there. She's emailed Ram Hospital but had no response. Anyone recommend a doctor?

Thanks again,
Mike & Sandy

I just got screwed going home.
I figured I'ld have enough time getting to my flight in Bangkok to KL from my Chiang Mai flight.
Ha!
I'ld left an hour to do it but the plane from CNX was half an hour late then it took 20 minutes for my luggage to come out.
So I missed my connection to KL.
Air Asia didn't care, wouldn't help me & only offered to find me a cheap hotel then wanted me to wait a day & pay for 2 new flights otherwise I would have to wait 4 days in Bangkok.
My Arse!
I ended up buying a ticket on Thai Airways, got to Bangkok, a really fast taxi ride to the LCC terminal & just in time so I had to run through the airport & was last on the plane with my bag getting loaded by hand.
If you're flying Air Asia, they're never on time so try to leave a minimum of 2 hours for transfers.

Never use Air Asia for a connecting flight, they tell you that themselves.
I havent used them for a few years now but well remember getting to Bkk airport and waiting 7 hours to fly to Chiang Mai with them

Back
Top Bottom