Harley Davidson 500 for Asia

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
No Harley section, so I'll put this news here.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/500cc-V-Twin-Harley-Davidson-for-Asiia

500cc-V-Twin-Harley-Davidson-for-Asiia_2.jpg

(Motorcycle Thailand)

"A representative of Harley Davidson who is in-charge of business in Asia has now told us about a new Harley-Davidson with a smaller engine in the works, which will be a special product for the Asian market."

And in the second paragraph 'now' = 'not'!

500cc and HD don`t seem to go together?

Thai market? A winner all the way.

I sorta share 'Loop's feelings; but it's not a bad way to start a riding life with the HD brand.
And it's yet another possibility available to us.

'Motorcycle Thailand' have given the specifications for the 500 and 750.
(I won't re-post the same link)

"The specs for the new 2014 Harley-Davidson Street 500 are out...

The Harley-Davidson Street 500 - 494 CC Liquid Cooled Revolution X™ Engine, 6 Speed Transmission, Belt Drive, 2 into 1 Exhaust, Mid Mount Controls, Easy Lock to Lock Sweep, Single Caliper Disc Brakes, Specially Tuned Suspension, 2 Up Seat with Passenger Pegs, Metal Tank and Fenders, LED Tail Lights and Bullet Signals, Locking Gas Cap, Forks, and Ignition, V Twin 60° 4-Valves per Head, Wheel Size: 17” Front, 15” Rear, Wheelbase: 59.5” / 1511.3mm and a Weight: 480 LBS / 217.5 KG (WET).

The Harley-Davidson Street 750 - 749 CC Liquid Cooled Revolution X™ Engine, 6 Speed Transmission, Belt Drive, 2 into 1 Exhaust, Mid Mount Controls, Easy Lock to Lock Sweep, Single Caliper Disc Brakes, Specially Tuned Suspension, 2 Up Seat with Passenger Pegs, Metal Tank and Fenders, LED Tail Lights and Bullet Signals, Locking Gas Cap, Forks, and Ignition, V Twin 60° 4-Valves per Head, Wheel Size: 17” Front, 15” Rear, Wheelbase: 59.5” / 1511.3mm and a Weight: 480 LBS / 217.5 KG (WET).

The price indication is starting at US$6,700 - US$7,500 ~ It is currently unclear what the prices for the H-D Street 500 or 750 will be for Thailand."

That means thats the bike to replace my wifes 250 rebel if its affordable 25'' seat height is perfect

These HD models are designed for the Indian market, the statement that HD does not design bikes for specific market in IMO bluff.
India is a huge market for motorcycle manufacturers, much better than China or the ASEAN countries.

I do not believe HD will be quick to launch these models outside India, it will lead them back to the AMF days.
HD has carefully built a brand image and these Street models (and pricing) hardly fit in that image.

Designed for the Indian market?

Harley-Davidson on Monday (4 November) blew the covers off two dramatic new motorcycles for 2014: the Street 750 and Street 500. The bikes represent an aggressive attempt to expand Harley's already massive reach to younger, newer and smaller riders by offering them a substantially lighter and more manageable urban street cruiser. Both models feature the company's Dark Custom stylings, and a new fuel-injected, liquid-cooled Revolution X motor, cradled in an all-new frame.

The belt-driven bikes feature a seat height of barely 25 inches and a fueled weight of only 480 pounds. When they hit dealers in early 2014, the Street 500 will have an MSRP of about $6,700, and the Street 750 about $7,500.

Calling the unveiling "a great day in our history," Matthew S. Levatich, Harley's president and chief operating officer, said the Street series "fills a need for people who want to identify with a brand but have a motorcycle that is less intimidating, and more inviting. This bike is easier to ride and easier to learn how to ride."

For one reason or the other some forums show duplicate posts lately?

Yes, I am convinced that HD made that model especially for the Indian market, did you ever hear anybody in the current market complain, demanding a less intimidating design?? It will be manufactured in India, it is intended for India, that market is the single biggest growth market for motorcycles in the world.

However HD with it's current brand image has a problem explaining this to the current market unless they are prepared to adjust their brand image and I am afarid that might hurt sales for the bigger models?

A closer look at the Street 500.

500x280xHarley-Street-500-750-Side.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 500 Quick Review | MotorBeam ? Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

"A Royal Enfield Continental GT outputs similar power, so the Street 500 doesn't have an upper hand in terms of performance, which is a big disappointment considering you pay more than twice as much.
At around Rs. 4.5 lakhs, (approx 235,000 baht) the Street 500 might be the cheapest way to get a Harley but in essence, you somehow feel you are paying more for the brand than for the bike and that can make you feel short changed."

(MotorBeam)

Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/harl...-street-500-quick-review/#82vdzT4Sd6hs3BPW.99

Back
Top Bottom