IMG_0278.jpg
Beautiful views from up here
IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg
Helping to keep the grass down

Nice pictures Colin - Googled Glastonbury Tor and found the Wikipedia about it at Glastonbury_Tor A very long and interesting history:

Glastonbury Tor is a hill at Glastonbury in the English county of Somerset, topped by the roofless St Michael's Tower, a Grade I listed building. The whole site is managed by the National Trust, and has been designated a scheduled monument.

The conical hill of clay and Blue Lias rises from the Somerset Levels. It was formed when surrounding softer deposits were eroded, leaving the hard cap of sandstone exposed. The slopes of the hill are terraced, but the method by which they were formed remains unexplained. Artefacts from human visitation have been found, dating from the Iron Age to Roman eras.

Several buildings were constructed on the summit during the Saxon and early medieval periods; they have been interpreted as an early church and monks' hermitage. The head of a wheel cross dating from the 10th or 11th century has been recovered. The original wooden church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1275, and the stone Church of St Michael built on the site in the 14th century. Its tower remains, although it has been restored and partially rebuilt several times. Archaeological excavations during the 20th century sought to clarify the background of the monument and church, but some aspects of their history remain unexplained. The Tor is mentioned in Celtic mythology, particularly in myths linked to King Arthur, and has a number of other enduring mythological and spiritual associations.

Stories of a sacred vessel dear to the Celts became entwined with the story of Christ's Last Supper and the Christian Holy Grail which inspired quests and crusades across England, Europe and the Far East.
The Glastonbury and Somerset legends involve the boy Jesus together with his Great-Uncle, Joseph of Arimathea building Glastonbury's first wattle and daub church.
http://www.glastonburyabbey.com/joseph_of_arimathea.php

Thanx Colin, nice to see the place again after all these years

Good views from up there of the Somerset levels where I went the following day, I will post the photos soon.

Also the local knowledgeable chap walked up and gave me his binoculars to view other sights including King Alfreds Tower which was another days ride the following week.

Somerset has lovely empty roads and lots of interesting things to see

Hello
Are you still in England ? If you are and want to pop in for a coffee let me know(Coventry).
I'm on crutches still so afraid I can't ride or drive to meet you but happy any advice I could give.
safe riding
paul

Hello Paul

Yes I am still in England until 26th October, thanks for the offer but its highly unlikely I will be in your neck of the woods.

Hopefully catch up with you in Thailand sometime though

No problem I hope you enjoy your stay and I the hope weather gets better soon 😃 I hope to be over mid October
safe riding
cheers
paul

My old hometown.. The riflemans arms pub just under the tor, was pretty much second home for years..

Back
Top Bottom