From DR 650 to KLR 650

Faz Harris

Bikes
Kawasaki KLX 250H
Based on some expert advices, I decided to stay away from tyhe DR650.....so now starting to look at the KLR 650.
The only problem....been reading the US forums on the KLR 650 and they say there's an issue on the Doohickey thing...(cam chain adjuster and springs).

However, I was checking around in Malaysia, there seems no problem on this.

Is the US model any difference to the Asian model? ANy of you guys heard of Asian model KLR 650 facing this issue?

Advice on thye KLR 650 and the doohickey issue is highly anticipated. I need a bike that I can tour both on road and mild off road.

All feedbacks accepted. I need them before getting the bike.

Please check what year bikes has the problem with the cam chain tensioner -the DRZ 400 for example had a bad tensioner up to and including 2002 but if one bought a 2003 onwards tensioner and fitted it to a pre 2003 bike the problem goes away...

Also check online for manual or after market tensioners for it, you may be able to find that if in fact the year model you want to buy has a bad tensioner you can pick up an after market item for 70 bucks and never again worry about it.

Good luck with it!
Hassman

Thanks Hassman, the forums in US stated that the cam chain tensioner adjuster balancer was a known problem with all the models of the KLR 650. Only thing is that, no one has complained in Malaysia, and most of the KLR owners, mechanics says, this issue is new to them. My mechanic says that he has heard of this issue happening in the US, but not in Malaysia.
Anyway, I still plan to get the KLR, but might mailorder from Eagle Mike in the states an improved parts of the balancer adjuster lever and tyhe torsio spring. Thank dude.
Faz.

Eagle Mike is the guy! KLR Guru!
ALL KLR650's have the Doohickey issue ... even the new one that started in 2008. Kawasaki changed the tensioner in '08 but did not 100% solve the problem ... so it still needs attention. Keep in mind not every single KLR650 has problems due to a failed Doohickey. Many have gone well over 50,000 miles without issue. BUT!!! many DO have the problem, especially higher mileage ones ridden hard. The Eagle Mike kit is the way to go. Follow the USA forums and threads on ADV rider or KLR.net and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about the KLR.

I've owned two KLR's. a '91 or '92 that I got free that was not running. Then a NEW 1998 test bike from Kawasaki USA.

I like the NEW KLR's best. Smoother, better brakes, better suspension than original KLR650. It's a bit heavier but overall a more pleasant road bike.

Good luck

Hey Mick, u got them for free? Ship 'em my way hahahahaha......Yep..been reading ADV and KLR forum's....they even showed the diff in the thickness of the doo' from EM's and the OEM.
Appreciate your "tutorial"...Thanks.
Faz.

Back
Top Bottom