Four Thousand Islands (from Lao Voices)

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
Four Thousand Islands: a natural paradise
Posted by LV on Saturday, June 16, 2012 · Leave a Comment

To mark Visit Laos Year 2012, Vientiane Times is running a series of articles about natural, historical and cultural tourism sites in Laos
Anyone looking for a great place to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of a tranquil environment should go to the deep south of the country.
Known as Si Phan Don (Four Thousand Islands), the area is familiar to tourists, and Khong district in Champassak province should certainly be high on any list of places to visit.

Khonphapheng waterfall is one of many scenic attractions in the south of Laos.
The local lifestyle, hospitality and the generosity of local people combine with natural beauty and historical and cultural attractions to form a lasting impression of peace and harmony.
A few hours on a bus from the provincial capital Pakxe to Khong district in the far south rewards the traveller with scenic views and an intimate look at daily life in villages along the route.
After arriving at Nakasang village, a long-tailed boat ride takes you to the island of Don Det where you truly start to experience village life in this small community.
You may have guessed by now – I’m a native of Champassak province. Having spent a lot of time in Vientiane my assumption was that Vangvieng and Luang Prabang were the major tourist destinations, but having had the chance to revisit my roots, it’s clear that Si Phan Don is a strong competitor and definitely should be included on any traveller’s itinerary.
Don Det and Don Khone are the two islands best known for their scenic charm and the simple, relaxed lifestyle of local residents.
Locals operate restaurants, guesthouses and resorts and prices compare favourably with other places.
Recently, I spent a couple of days visiting my family. It was a wonderful stress-reducing experience and I went cycling around the area, observing how the villages have improved over the past few years since my last visit in 2006.
Mr San, 25, one of my close friends, joined me on the trip which was his first visit to the south. Prior to our departure we had discussed where we should go while we were there and decided to spend most of our time on Don Det and Don Khon.
San told me he had been to almost every province in Laos and most had similarities in terms of scenic splendour, but now he says Si Phan Don is high on his list of favourite places to go.
“I feel like my trip was made more special when I experienced the warmth and friendliness of the southern residents. I will come back again and again whenever I have the time,” he said.
He commented that travelling to the south of Laos was like a breath of fresh air and gave him time to chat with locals on the bus or in restaurants.
“To anyone who has not yet visited the south of Laos, I would strongly recommend they try it as they will never forge t the truly enjoyable experience,” he said.
The many tourist attractions in the area make it difficult to decide which ones are ‘must-see’ places as almost all of them are known for their fascinating character and bucolic setting.
After my last visit six years ago to Don Det and Don Khone, much has changed. Guesthouses, resorts and restaurants, along with other facilities, have sprung up to cater to the ever increasing number of visitors.
The number of foreign visitors has doubled over the past few years with the majority coming from Thailand and Europe. Ms Charlotte Smith, 26, a British tourist, told me she was on a three-month holiday in the region.
“I’ve already spent a month in Vietnam, three weeks in Thailand and a week in Laos. I’m really enjoying myself, cycling from the guesthouse to visit several waterfalls and other places,” she told us.
She said that like the rest of the region, wandering around Si Phan Don was great for relaxing amongst friendly people in a peaceful environment. She especially liked the islands’ laid-back lifestyle and rustic charm. Like so many others, no doubt, this visitor will also dream of a return visit some day.
Source: Vientiane Times
By Bounfaeng Phaymanivong
(Latest Update June 16 , 2012)

Last year, when we were in the area

file.php

file.php

Wow!
I can almost hear that water.
It's a must.
And it will be on a CRF250L !!

Back
Top Bottom