Flash floods in Luang Prabang

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
We had some really nasty clouds and rain in Houay Xai. Looks like Luang Prabang got hit really bad today too.

From Laos Post

10616275_297242417125977_7372487462370630779_n.jpg

The Mekong River Commission's website re Luang Prabang below:

Mekong River Commission / Information Resources

Thanks to Midnitemapper for this

lpq1.jpg

lpq2.jpg

Some more info from the Vientiane Times

Typhoon causes Luang Prabang flooding

A torrential downpour caused by the effects of Typhoon Kalmaegi hitting Luang Prabang province yesterday morning has resulted in flooding at several locations around the World Heritage listed town. Flash flooding in the town of Luang Prabang came with the arrival of Typhoon Kalmaegi. The heavy rainfall began around 5am and by 8am, houses and streets were submerged. Some houses and temples saw the water reach around roof level while numerous streets were inundated with flood water up to one and a half metres deep.

P2.jpg

“I found the roads were too congested and debris from houses was being blown around in the wind at 8.30am when I took my son to go to school,” a resident of Luang Prabang district, Mr Mongkhon Vongsam-ang, told Vientiane Times on Wednesday. In the rush hour from 8am to 9am, the wild weather caused traffic chaos with many streets flooded. Additionally, some people claimed that traffic police were not present, meaning road users had to fend for themselves. Parents yesterday morning experienced difficulties taking their children to school. Unfortunately, some teachers could not make it in to school owing to their homes being inundated.

An official from Luang Prabang province Mrs Phetdavanh Phommany told Vientiane Times at 10.40am that the flood water in the streets had started receding and some roads were passable for vehicles to wade their way through. Several areas were still flooded around Luang Prabang yesterday morning including Nasamphan, the teacher teaching college, Phonphaeng, the provincial stadium and the main Road No. 13 North into town.

Source: Vientiane Times

Note LR: Nasamphen, Phonphaeng and the Provincial Stadium are in the south-eastern part of Luang Prabang

Back
Top Bottom