Exploring Tachileik

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
After the initial confusion crossing the border we finally got checked into our hotel and myself and Phil decided to explore as to how far we would be allowed around Tachilek.

The Golden Cherry Hotel, pretty comfortable and right next to the bike event.

P1040836.jpg

After leaving town we crossed through one check point without any drama, we stumbled upon this unusual new Wat being constructed.

P1040838.jpg

Temporary bamboo Wat while construction takes place.

P1040844.jpg

P1040845.jpg

This lady was casting moulding's for the Wat using latex, pretty smelly job.

P1040842.jpg

Smiling faces all around here we found a school for monk's and the boy's enjoying a game of football.

P1040852.jpg

The next easterly checkpoint was as far as we could go and was politely asked to turned around.

P1040854.jpg

We doubled back at went north, interesting faces and features along the way.

P1040859.jpg

P1040863.jpg

The Wat's showing a very different architecture to what we see in Thailand.

P1040862.jpg

P1040876.jpg

Turning south past the small airport back to town we crossed over a very fast flowing river with floating eating rafts.

P1040877.jpg

So many interesting Wat's in the area.

P1040879.jpg

Reaching town the local market and faces.

P1040896.jpg

P1040901.jpg

P1040902.jpg

P1040904.jpg

Short but sweet, next the ride north to Mong Lar :dirtbike:

Riding around the Tachileik, Myanmar, free zone is quite interesting

DSC_2068_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Some of my photo's from poking around

DSC_2065_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2064_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2064_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Restaurants on the river

DSC_2063_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2062_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2060_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Young monks in the Wat

DSC_2059_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Story telling paintings in the Wat

DSC_2057_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Living quarters in the temple's grounds

DSC_2056_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

More stories

DSC_2055_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Shan Wat

DSC_2054_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Myanmar

DSC_2052_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Football

DSC_2051_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Dark red robed Myanmar monk

DSC_2050_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Wat

DSC_2047_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2046_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Plaster being removed from natural rubber molds

DSC_2044_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Morning market

DSC_2038_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Hey Phil

Do you know anything about entering the Tachiliek - Keng Tung area with a Thai-registered motorbike? I was originally planning on visiting Vietnam but that seems likely to fall thru now due to my bike not being allowed in... so I thought JUST MAYBE I can cross into Tachiliek instead, get the 2 week permit and drive to Keng Tung and the surrounding areas.

What do you think? Has it been done and/or is it possible?

As you can see from the pictures myself and phil crossed as part of a prearranged group pass, whilst i guess you can still cross and ride within the Tachileik district anything beyond would need special approval as we found out exploring around we approached the outer limits of the district the border guard made it pretty clear it was not possible to go further.

There is a lady who handles tourists on the bridge i or Phil may have the contact details and will come back to you.

Hey thanks Bob - anyone you can put me in contact with would be greatly appreciated. I suspect that a guide would need to be hired... but as finding one's way might be tough, in this case I could see that as a benefit. I am happy to break new ground if possible.

I take it from your comment that it is normal to cross over to just Tachileik for just the day on one's own motorbike?

As a note, I have rented Honda Dream 110cc a few times in different parts of Myanmar and no one ever bothered me... provided I was not in a restricted area.

Cant find the tour ladies number who works from the bridge in Mae Sai but here is the contact info of two of the guy's involved with the bike week who speak good english (khun Sai would be the best bet) who i am sure can point you in the right direction. As for crossing with a motorcycle i wouldn't say it was normal i have crossed several times in a car with no issue, for the bike week a deal had been struck and crossing was easy that doesn't mean to say it can't be done but i have never tried since the trip in January, but a big smile always help's.

Keep us posted on how it work's out.

info_0001.jpg info.jpg

Cant find the tour ladies number who works from the bridge in Mae Sai but here is the contact info of two of the guy's involved with the bike week who speak good english (khun Sai would be the best bet) who i am sure can point you in the right direction. As for crossing with a motorcycle i wouldn't say it was normal i have crossed several times in a car with no issue, for the bike week a deal had been struck and crossing was easy that doesn't mean to say it can't be done but i have never tried since the trip in January, but a big smile always help's.

Keep us posted on how it work's out.

View attachment 37667 View attachment 37668

Is it still possible to travel from Tachilek to Mongla via Kengtung, and back again the same way in a foreign registered (in this case Thai registered) car? An American did so in 2007, but last year when I went to Tachilek on a day trip, a local claimed foreign registered vehicles could no longer travel more than 35km from Tachilek without permission.

Does anyone know the latest? I am looking at going alone, without a tour, just like that American guy did back in 2007. I realize that for any other type of travel inside Myanmar in a private, foreign registered vehicle a tour is required, but I was under the impression the Tachilek to Mongla corridor was an exception.

Not sure if that is possible at the moment. I know that Silverhawk (on the other forum and probably the American you refer to) did this trip in his own truck but he had to report to police/security stations along the road and he was forced to backtrack as he had bypassed one of these posts. I have seen also a trip report (can't find it at the moment) who was allowed to go but had to take along a guide which he had to hire on the spot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Myanmar Ride Reports 2
Y Myanmar Ride Reports 8
Back
Top Bottom