Expired Thai driving license renewal - you have 1 year

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Recently had to renew my 5 year Thai motorcycle license that had expired & didn't know if they would make me do the full test procedure again or not. If your Thai license is less than one year after expiry, then all you have to do is the color blindness test and watch the driving video for the 30 minutes

20150302_090809.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

For car and motorcycle 5 year driving license renewal, the cost was 1,060 Bht and took 4 hours in total. Get there at 0830am to be seen in the first group.

10391408_10153686928578345_8222273757279688656_n.jpg

90 day's in Chiang Rai

Usually you need to hold the first license for 12 months before renewal, ie, it has expired when you renew.

Russ - do you have a visa that will allow you to get a 5 year license? If so, you have to wait until the 1 year expires before you apply.

If you just want another 1 year, you apply before it expires. I believe that you can do that 90 days before expiration.

I recently got a 5 year licence a few days-1 week after the 1 yr expired,in CM.

The new 5yr had 5 1/2 years on it until expiry...up until my birthday of the year after expiry.

Always hard to fathom how and why Thais do things like that?

They did ask for copies of what Thai immigration visa I was on & of course passport. As Colin pointed out tonight, this might mean those on tourist visa's might only be able to get and renew 1 year Thai driving licenses

Bob - I got a 1 year Multiple Entry Cat O visa, and a yellow book, so I understand 5 year will be no probs.
Not going to be in CM on the day it expires so keen to do a month in advance .... guess the real answer is to turn up and throw myself at the mercy of the mood of the officials on that day !
:dirtbike:

Russ - recently, I had to renew my 5 year licenses. What I experienced is here:
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ving-licences-chiang-mai-november-2014-a.html

Back when I switched from the 1 year temporary to the 5 year, I was told that I had to wait until the 1 year expired to get the 5 year. It did not matter how long it was expired.

If you need to have a valid license while away from Chiang Mai, renew your 1 year before you leave and worry about the 5 year next year.

^ Bob's right.

If you go before the 1yr licence is expired you'll just get another 1yr licence.
You have to go for 5yr after the 1yr has expired.

Today just renewed both my car and motorcycle 5 year license in the Chiang Rai transport office 960 baht lighter and 1 and half hours later all done no drama no fuss, just has to sit through the one hour video indicating road traffic laws no Thai driver ever complies with.

Needed:
copies of yellow book
copies of passport picture and visa page
medical certificate x2
old licenses
big smile and patience :D

Needed:
medical certificate x2

Different office, different "laws".

In Chiang Mai, I had to show a medical certificate when I got the first 1 year license. Since then, getting the 5 year and several renewals (latest last November) - no medical certificate needed.

Usually you need to hold the first license for 12 months before renewal, ie, it has expired when you renew.

I was always told this.. The one year had to expire to get the 5 year as it was a sort of provisional / learner license and you had to do the full 12 months. This was very clearly the rule stated on Phuket years back.

Had a discussion with someone on another forum who said it wasnt the case any more and had got a 5 year from before the 1 year finished. I dont imagine he was lying so the rules seem to have changed.

Also I was always told if your 5 years expires, then your back to taking it again with tests.. The 1 year had to expire the 5 years shouldnt. Other posts have also cast that into doubt ??

The difficulty when so many systems and processes are made up on the spot by local understanding.. Like farang sellers needing a residence paper, sometimes, always, just when they are being difficult, etc.

I recently got a 5 year licence a few days-1 week after the 1 yr expired,in CM.

The new 5yr had 5 1/2 years on it until expiry...up until my birthday of the year after expiry.

Always hard to fathom how and why Thais do things like that?

Yes its 5 year and up to a birthday.. Which is perhaps why they wanted you to get it before it expired.. Wait a couple of days after and get 6 years ??

That is if they now tolerate late applications.

Get a 1 year international license a day before the 5 year license expires, then you could apply 364 days after the 5 year expires for added safety if you re worried!

Just out of curiosity, what does the colour blindness test consist of? I am red green colour blind so if and when I decide to live in Thailand will it be a drama?

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ could be a problem.

I was calling the yellow green until they showed the real green.
Then i called the yellow as amber?...nope,orange?...nope it's yellow...oh.

After the confusion was sorted got it 100% right :giving:

Just out of curiosity, what does the colour blindness test consist of? I am red green colour blind so if and when I decide to live in Thailand will it be a drama?

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard 'dots' test...

I honestly have no idea if they would refuse to issue a license ??

166.jpg

Standard Dots test.....Ummmmm, thats how I know I am red green colourblind, had to take it for the military, traffic light colours are no problem its the difference shades that are sometimes a problem

Wayne

BobS / Loop - My experience yesterday (for the record) was not as you suggest. In Chiang Mai, I asked about how early I could renew my 1 year temporary and get a 5 year, and it sounds like it depends on your visa type. I have a one year multiple entry "O" and was told "up to 60 days before the temp expires".

And as with bscbob, I needed :
copies of yellow book
copies of passport (must show visa page AND last entry stamp)
medical certificate x2 (of which one had to be the original)
old licenses
....even bigger smile and patience !

After 2 hours of queuing, and 30 mins of processing, and I had both car & bike renewed for 5 years (5 yrs & 9 months as it goes to your next birthday after the 5 years). No video, no eyesight test, no exam. They also gave me my old licenses back as the 5 year start date, is the day after the old expires, and explained I have to continue with the temporary license in my pocket, until the new kicks in, (perhaps this might have given rise to the confusion).

I can't guarantee this applies every time, but for me, yesterday, that's what happened. :applause:

Guess it just goes to show that although there are nationwide guidelines each Amphur interprets them differently ( a bit like border crossing's) although i have never heard of them giving a license back before, my new license expire's in five years and two months.

Back
Top Bottom