DUMBASS WAY TO PAI

sukie

Bikes
KTM 990 Adventure
Was in Muang Khong and realize we were only 50 km away from Pai. So why bother backtracking some 170 km the normal paved way when Huai Nam Dang NP, which is some 30 km away from Pai, was only 18 km away. Ask the locals and they told us the trail was in good condition. Good condition my ass, it took us nearly 5 hours to cover 18 km – Im sure they misunderstood us and was thinking of another way. Would had taken me less than an hour solo on a 250 with no luggage & pillion. But on P Ting who weight 230 kg + 50 kg luggage + 45 kg pillion – it was a big ass struggle.

It started off easy like what they told us but then the trail got real steep with big rocks & slippery granite. We then got to a river which I told myself how the f!@k Im gonna get over this – the water was swift with many big rock below. Didn’t want to risk dropping P Ting in the river so decided to unload the luggage and walk bike over the river. But then ran into hill tribe who told us there was a bridge near by, but the bridge wasn’t very strong at all so decided to walk the bike over. Tim & I walked our bikes across the bridge. Jay/Tim/me then carried the luggage across the river and reloaded once over river. The whole process was tiring man.Was confuse with direction and hill tribe people told us to look for electricity pole and to follow it which will eventually lead to civilization.

The trail got easy for a bit but then we came to another crossing with big ass trees as bridge. I started laughing and figure it would take as long to turn back so mind as well figure a way to get over this stupid ass bridge. At first decided to push both bikes over but then when recon realize the tree trunks were pretty solid. So I road the bikes over while Jay/Tim help support me from the back.

Was happy to get over the tree trunks but then came to a creek crossing with loose sand below and I sank my bike into it. Tim & I lifted P Ting out while Jay kept him steady.

More steep hills, both Tim & I falling many times and right when we thought it was gonna get easy a big ass tree has fallen and was blocking the way, shit man. We navigated our way up the hill around the tree, more steep slippery hills, more falling. Worst of all it was starting to get dark, which really suck balls. My attitude was worst come to worst we have camping gear and would just set up camp in the jungles. Tim fought in Iraq for 3 years so this was pussy shit for him but I felt pretty bad having to put Jay through this.

We continued to follow the electricity poles, ran into more hill tribe who told us Huai Nam Dang wasn’t far away. Never been so happy in my life when approaching park and saw paved road for the first time. By the time we got to Pai it was around 7:30. Set up camp – took a shower – went into town and had ourselves some big ass Mexican burritos.

Hat off to Tim who never road off-road before and this was his first. My gf Jay earn my respect man, this chic is pretty tough. Went down with me I don’t know how many times and walked some 2-3 km when the trial got real technical & was easier for me to ride solo. It was a big struggle but always feel good when you can overcome it.

PS - havnt figure how to upload pics the easy way
home.php
home.php
home.php

405696_346263425401230_100000527274764_1345978_1624426859_n.jpg

404651_346264442067795_100000527274764_1345988_1433648536_n.jpg

407320_346263528734553_100000527274764_1345979_2028437493_n.jpg

384502_348137628547143_100000527274764_1350750_563601991_n.jpg
home.php

Wow! Gotta see pics of this (mis) adventure. Glad you guys kept it together and made it to Pai for BURRITOS! :DD

Sukie --sounds like some tough sledin on those big bikes, what was Tim riding?

A Garmin 60 csx or Garmin 62S with some of our routes on them makes it so much easier when the shit hits the fan (we've been there a few times) , we can set it all up for you.

Sound like a great adventure though, if you want to email me the photo's ill upload them for you, thanks for taking the time to do this.

I met some guys who had just done the same trail(I think)nr Wieng Hang, one on a new Ducati Testastretta(with electronic traction control, suspension control, ABS,etc) and one on a big BMW

Back
Top Bottom