Dtracker conversion

Ally

Bikes
PCX - with custom valve caps
The image below shows on the left, Harry's Dtracker with a dirt setup.

I am seriously considering making the change of my stock Dtracker to be the same.

7010650877_d3a9c46e56_b.jpg

I presume there are 4 things to consider:

Wheels
Tyres
Sprocket
Brakes disc(s)
Suspension settings

Am I missing anything?

Hope Harry watches this forum to lend a bit of advice ;)

Ally

Are you not better off selling the D-tracker and buying a KLX 250 --- or the new Honda CRF 250L that will be 120,000-130,000 bht?

Ally said:
:hmm

Bugger!

Thats not the answer I was hoping for :GF

Ally

You could just get your existing hubs re-spoked with 18" & 21" rims, a lot of DRZ SM's have been converted by this method.

KTMphil said:
Ally said:
:hmm

Bugger!

Thats not the answer I was hoping for :GF

Ally

You could just get your existing hubs re-spoked with 18" & 21" rims, a lot of DRZ SM's have been converted by this method.

Still probably want to work on the gearing / sprocket a bit but yeah, if you dont want to keep the wheelsets for swapping (I did) then relacing the hubs should be the cheapest option.

Spokes
Rims
Tubes and tyres
Sprocket gearing adjustment.

Suspension I would guess to be within the same adjustment parameters, doubt kwak had 2 setups ?? Knowing Kwak pricing on parts doubt its going to come out too bad cost wise ??

Could also post on the dtracker KLX forums to see if anyone wants to swap the other way ??

Thanks guys for the advice, you have given me plenty to think about.

Very useful indeed.

Ally

Great idea Ally.

Don't worry about needing to adjust the suspension for the two different modes. It'll work fine. I ran about for a few years on a KLX with both dirt and motard set-up. Some of the most fun I had on a bike.

Great handling in motard trim as well!!

149339449_rTQ5f-L.jpg

One thing you may want to add to your conversion list is the motard front fender.

Best of luck with the conversion.

Dont think much of your bike limbo dancing skills..

Sad pic Justin

"Conversions" are meant to go over the bar, not under !

;)

Ally

Haha. My "skills" can often be labeled as "under the bar".

Ally - Are you looking at converting the KLX permanently to dirt or to retain both disciplines?

Hi Justin

Well at the moment I am divided. Every ride I go on lately seems 50/50 on & off road. Often the folks I am with have knobblies. With my road tyres, I am less comfortable on dirty loose roads.

So the dilema for me is that if I were to swap out the road tyres for dirt tyres, would the road tyres ever go back on? I think not.

I am therefore thinking I will bide my time & see whats happening on the new bike front & look as Phil originally suggested, swap the bike, rather than just the tyres!

Ally

Before you bite the bullet, you could try Pirelli MT-60 tires , they are a nice blend of on/ off-road

633017860342377788MT60-RRear.jpg

I've been using Avon Distanzas on my motard bike (17" wheels) an they've been great in dry dirt

Distanzia.png

Ally said:
Hi Justin

Well at the moment I am divided. Every ride I go on lately seems 50/50 on & off road. Often the folks I am with have knobblies. With my road tyres, I am less comfortable on dirty loose roads.

So the dilema for me is that if I were to swap out the road tyres for dirt tyres, would the road tyres ever go back on? I think not.

I am therefore thinking I will bide my time & see whats happening on the new bike front & look as Phil originally suggested, swap the bike, rather than just the tyres!

Ally

You can get Continental TKC 80's in 17" rear (made for BMW) -- they might be the perfect tire for you. I have used them several times and they're great on the road too. Big Bendum in Bangkok can get them

wallpaper_tkc_80_1600_uv.jpg

Steve ran motard wheels with dirt tires, on his Yamaha wr250 all through south Laos on the dirt trails and didn't have any issues

6406164827_b8282faa01_b.jpg

KTMphil said:
Before you bite the bullet, you could try Pirelli MT-60 tires , they are a nice blend of on/ off-road

633017860342377788MT60-RRear.jpg

Also Pairoj has the Siracs

michelin-sirac-street-tyre.jpg

Cheaper than the MT60.. I know for sure that he has 18/21's as I have them on my dirt rims, I think theres a 17 inch supermoto option but not sure if he carries it.

I almost took the distanzias last time round myself, and may still try them, but kinda wanted stickier tarmac based for the supermoto wheelset last time around.

Just stepping up to a more dual sport tyre option should give a bit more confidence in light dirt, of course the 21 inch front smooths out potholes and rough stuff better but still would be a halfway option. Dont know if anyone carries the Anakee 2 supermoto sizes also ??

Back
Top Bottom