Doom & Gloom - "Are big bikes worth it?"

Ally

Bikes
PCX - with custom valve caps
"Thailand’s market for “big bikes”, or motorbikes larger than 400cc, has been enjoying tremendous growth as well as notoriety due to several outrageous accidents that have been making headlines on a daily basis... "

Full story here

The celebrity accident has fuelled the fire on this one, the deaths on smaller cc bikes is huge but will go unnoticed, the percentage of smaller bikes v's so called Big Bikes is vastly different. I guess the motto is if you live in BKK ride a smaller bike, not exactly rocket science.

There is talk of special licenses and training for would be buyers of Big Bikes, most of these accidents involve motorists, i suggest it is they who need special training to be more biker aware.

There seems to be an error in both left-most columns. Unless I am misunderstanding it, both should be labelled <150cc (less than). The total column is then headed Big Bikes, which is nonsense. (But probably shows the intention of the author(s).)

Including 2019 figures is useless without stating the cut-off date, since the year is still under way.

The statistic would be far more interesting if it included km travelled by all bikes in the category. (Would likely have to be guesstimated.)

So in Chiang Mai it was 144 deaths with bikes less than 150 cc and 3 with big bikes. And in Nakhon Sawan it was 181 deaths with bikes less than 150 cc and zero with big bikes - and then someone asks if big bikes are worth it???
The logical question should of course be: Are small bikes really worth it???!

Back
Top Bottom