Don't Run Illegal Tours In Laos !! --- BEWARE!!!!!

Two of us went across the border from Huay Khon to Muang Ngeun on 4 January. We called Mr Khamdee a week before. There was nothing unusual at the crossing except that Immigration questioned us twice, asking if there were only two of us. We were on MTB's, which we read here were also a problem. We didn't want to ask too many questions for fear of being turned back. Once in Muang Ngeun we happened to run into Mr Khamdee and had a long chat with him. I specifically asked him "If I came back with 3 friends on motorbikes would that be a problem?" He said "No problem for 4 people. Five people, cannot. Ten people OK. Must come one at a time, wait ten minutes and then next person goes to immigration. Then you can all meet at the guest house." He also said this is because Immigration wants people to pay for tours, but had no explanation for why this is the only crossing with a problem. Seems pretty odd since he works for the tourism department and it's Immigration turning people back.

So I'm not sure Mr Khamdee is useful at all. I'm sure Immigration would have a problem if 10 riders came across the border one at a time every 10 minutes. The rest of my info is now 6 days old and seems to have been superseded. Hopefully for the rest of you, this will be resolved soon.

Thanks for the info Jeff, intersting that you were able to cross on mountain bikes here, 2 weeks ago 2 mountain bikes were turned back.

Below a photo of the 4 Nations group crossing a Nong Khai, Thailand / Vientiane, Laos after being refused entry into Laos at the Nan border crossing

24460_317099718400770_191164629_n.jpg

Just to update crossed at Chiang Khong into laos this morning three Thai registered bikes, no problems at all.

Had some rider's here from down south the other day that had planned to enter Laos through the Huay Khon, Nan, Thailand / Muan Nguen, Xayabouri (Sayabouri), Laos international border crossing, that were unaware of the problems for motorcycles , you still cannot enter Laos at this border crossing with a motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom