DJI Mavic Pro Drone

Looks like the auto-follow works pretty well on a bike too, as long as the vision is clear:

This one is getting intersting at the 6m41 mark:

[video]https://youtu.be/0Fb7zJFIKGo?t=6m42s[/video]

Thanks for the link. At 55.000thb it's worth considering ordering it on ebay and shipping it yourself, then it's just a gamble with import taxes as usual...

dji.jpg

The new tiny DJI Spark ... has ActiveTrak/ follow-me mode, looks perfect for motor cycle trips - Currently USD$ 699

Tech Radar:

[h=3]OUR VERDICT[/h][FONT=&quot]No larger or heavier than a can of soda, the DJI Spark is the portable drone you've been waiting for. Its automatic flight capabilities and ability to recognize hand gestures outshine its few problems.[/FONT]

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/06/dji-spark-drone-in-depth-review.html

DSC_4978_thumb.jpg

In many ways, DJI is in the same position GoPro was 3-4 years ago. A point where as a company each and every new product release wowed not just regular consumers, but also techies. A given product need not necessarily be what a devout geek would buy, but something a geek could appreciate for its purpose in the world, or the boundaries it pushes within that market/segment.
And that's kinda where I am with the Spark. For my specific uses, I initially figured that I'd use my DJI Mavic 80-90% of the time, so much so that I wouldn't likely bring my Spark on vacation, except to places where I think flying might be more limited. My thinking being I'd want things like 4K footage and the higher end specs that the Mavic brings with it. But now actually being on such a vacation with both drones, I realized I'm really preferring to use the Spark over the Mavic. Which is not what I expected. Sure, I lose the 4K footage - but the speed to which I can get it in the air and the ease of transport is just awesome. I can toss it in a beach bag with little worry, or on a hike with little weight.
The performance and quality for the price is astounding. And further, it'd be a mistake to believe that the Spark is underpowered in every category compared to the Mavic. It's not. Certainly some (resolution/battery being the two main ones), but there are plenty of categories where the Spark does the exact same things using the exact same software as the Mavic. This is easily now the drone I'd recommend to most of my friends who don't yet have drones.
Still, there continues to be work that DJI as a company can focus on - namely support. Having semi-recently been through the DJI support process, even with their premium DJI Care Refresh paid service, it leaves much to be desired compared to GoPro's non-premium and free Karma drone support. With DJI, I simply shouldn't have to wait 2+ weeks for a replacement unit when the service center is a mere three-hour drive away. But in general, as a company they've come a long way in maturity in just a few short years. And when it comes to Active Tracking - it's still not great for solo sport usage. Filler shots and such, sure, but not really as a way to create a full film with snippets of a long ski run or 15 minute ride.
But again, the Spark has easily become my go-to drone when heading out on vacation. With that, thanks for reading - and I'm back to pretending to be on vacation.

saw that vid, seemed to work pretty well (it's a mavic but I guess the follow me tracking algorithm must be the same):

Would love to try it at the track some time, but just don't trust the drone not to crash in a tree.

The DJI Spark in "gesture mode", meaning no smart phone or controller is controlling the drone, the photo taking square gesture does work. It takes a photo 3 seconds after it recognizes the square gesture from your hands, so you have to identify when the drone has recognized the gesture and take your hands down.

DJI_0024 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

New DJI Spark software upgrade gives 4k photo & video activation in gesture mode.

Remember you have to upgrade EVERY battery!

Overview

• Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.0500
  • Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0300
  • DJI GO 4 App iOS:V 4.1.4
  • DJI GO 4 App Android:V 4.1.4

What’s New

• Improved photo resolution to 4K in Gesture and ActiveTrack modes.
  • Added a new gesture for video recording.
  • Added an option to adjust gimbal tilt sensitivity.
  • Added a 180° Pano shooting mode.
  • The aircraft will descend to a height of 1.5 m while flying below 4.5 m or descend 3 m while flying above 4.5 m if no subject is detected for more than one minute in Gesture mode.
  • Improved overall gesture recognition and reduced the probability of falsely recognizing the selfie gesture. The wave gesture is now disabled by default while flying indoors or where the GPS signal is weak to ensure safety. The wave gesture can be enabled in both situations by adjusting settings in DJI GO 4.
  • Fixed an issue where photos failed to save and the shutter sound would not be made while taking photos in Gesture mode.
  • The aircraft will now exit QuickShot automatically when a control stick is pulled opposite to the direction of flight. Flight distances for QuickShots can now be set in DJI GO 4, with greater maximum flight distances while using the remote controller. Also, flight directions for Circle and Helix can now be adjusted in DJI GO 4.
  • Fixed an issue where the aircraft didn’t ascend high enough with the Dronie QuickShot and optimized Rocket.
  • Optimized the FPV gimbal mode in Sport mode to keep the gimbal from reaching its endpoint.
  • Fixed issue where the remote controller would occasionally disconnect from the aircraft.
  • Fixed a rare issue where the remote controller couldn’t be turned off.
  • Improved aircraft and remote controller responsiveness.
  • Optimized battery level calculation.

Notes

• Restart the aircraft and remote controller when the update is complete.
  • If the firmware update fails, restart the aircraft, remote controller and DJI GO 4 or DJI Assistant 2, then try updating again.

New DJI Spark software upgrade gives 4k photo & video activation in gesture mode.

Remember you have to upgrade EVERY battery!

Overview

• Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.0500
  • Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0300
  • DJI GO 4 App iOS:V 4.1.4
  • DJI GO 4 App Android:V 4.1.4

What’s New

• Improved photo resolution to 4K in Gesture and ActiveTrack modes.
  • Added a new gesture for video recording.
  • Added an option to adjust gimbal tilt sensitivity.
  • Added a 180° Pano shooting mode.
  • The aircraft will descend to a height of 1.5 m while flying below 4.5 m or descend 3 m while flying above 4.5 m if no subject is detected for more than one minute in Gesture mode.
  • Improved overall gesture recognition and reduced the probability of falsely recognizing the selfie gesture. The wave gesture is now disabled by default while flying indoors or where the GPS signal is weak to ensure safety. The wave gesture can be enabled in both situations by adjusting settings in DJI GO 4.
  • Fixed an issue where photos failed to save and the shutter sound would not be made while taking photos in Gesture mode.
  • The aircraft will now exit QuickShot automatically when a control stick is pulled opposite to the direction of flight. Flight distances for QuickShots can now be set in DJI GO 4, with greater maximum flight distances while using the remote controller. Also, flight directions for Circle and Helix can now be adjusted in DJI GO 4.
  • Fixed an issue where the aircraft didn’t ascend high enough with the Dronie QuickShot and optimized Rocket.
  • Optimized the FPV gimbal mode in Sport mode to keep the gimbal from reaching its endpoint.
  • Fixed issue where the remote controller would occasionally disconnect from the aircraft.
  • Fixed a rare issue where the remote controller couldn’t be turned off.
  • Improved aircraft and remote controller responsiveness.
  • Optimized battery level calculation.

Notes

• Restart the aircraft and remote controller when the update is complete.
  • If the firmware update fails, restart the aircraft, remote controller and DJI GO 4 or DJI Assistant 2, then try updating again.

What is the cost of a battery? and is there a limit to battery life - like 100 charging/discharge cycles?

http://tech.thaivisa.com/update-dji...70824-0649&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Update your DJI drone before September 1 or you will not be able to fly it 0
BY STAFF WRITER ON 2017-08-23 APPS & SOFTWARE, GADGETS
A A A
If you own a DJI drone you need to install a new firmware update that is due to be released this week or your device will be grounded after September 1.

The firmware fix is being rolled out for the DJI Spark drone and needs to be installed in order for it to fly.

"If the firmware of either the aircraft or the battery is not updated by September 1, Spark will not be able to take off", DJI said in a blog post.

The fix is being released after some owners complained their DJI Spark drone shut down and fell out of the sky mid flight.

The problem was acknowledged by DJI and is now pushing out the firmware fix.

The mandatory update will bring some other improvements too such as enhanced safety features and performance boost for the battery during flights.

DJI said it will alert users via a notification on the DJI GO 4 app when the firmware is ready to update.

Users will need an internet connection and full battery to install the update.

The update can also be installed via the DJI's Assistant 2 software.

Staff Writer

Back
Top Bottom