Discovering Northwest Myanmar

Great collection of video blogs thanks for taking the time to put them up.

Great to watch your videos, very interesting to see from Myanmar and very professional videos, music, editing etc. Thanks for sharing!

Well, the loop through Chin, Sagaing, Kachin and Mandalay had come to an end a couple days ahead of schedule. Needing someplace to get out of the sweltering Mandalay hear, the hill station of Pyin Oo Lwin was the obvious choice. I'd ridden the Mandalay-POL road on previous journeys, and I remembered it as being one of the most interesting rides in all Myanmar. It's a divided highway, very wide at points, but yet twisting and turning with lots of interesting stuff to see along the way.

Zach at MandalayMotorbike.com (visit their site here...) recommended I check out a road along the way which leads up to a lake and then beyond to higher mountains.

This map isn't too precise in showing where the turnoff is. Look for the Aung Yadanar Hotel. It's there.

toPOL.png

Wow! What a road on which to make my last significant ride of this 2800 km journey. Unfortunately, I got turned back at a security gate near the dam. I should have just kept going. The attendant was sleeping when I passed through the gate.

Enjoy the video which continues the bluegrass music theme...

Attachments

• toPOL.png
    toPOL.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 285
Good to have you back J-L.
I had feared you had abandoned us with our noses stuck inside "Burmese Days"!
Pity you couldn't get to the lake but at least you finished the tour on a cool, wet day.
Thanks for sharing.

The chronicle of the trip isn't over quite yet. In fact, I've got a bit bored with finishing up the videos.. I'd rather post a video of more recent exploits. I have a new girlfriend.

NIce conclusion, gives us an insight into stuff not normally seen in Myanmar

Ahhh. the Mandalay-Maymyo Road!! The first time I did that was in 1978, crammed into an open WW2 vintage Jeep - the road was single lane most of the way. I remember admiring a couple of BSA singles that were puttering along the road. Simpler times. The Botanical gardens were free; the accommodation was in the appropriated Teak Company House; and our waiter kindly offered to find us good quality ganja.... :D

Back
Top Bottom