Derek from Scotland saying Hi

DucatiDerek

Bikes
Ducati & Honda
Hi,
This is my 3rd attempt at introducing myself. Both times I've not copied my long text....oops!
So here goes again. If this fails I'm going to investigate why with the administrator (Bob?).

I live in Scotland and am a mature rider with over 35 years experience, I've ridden in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos this year on 125's.

I want to come to Asia to buy a new KTM 390 Duke, and ride this to Vietnam and then from north to south (Vietnam).

My initial thoughts were to purchase from India as the price is very attractive (allows more money for the journey) but....that might be too far, so other options are to purchase in e.g. Bangladesh, Myanmar or elsewhere on route to Vietnam.

So, I'm after your suggestions and expert opinions on these matters.
I wont have a firm itinerary as I really don't think that is good for an adventure ride. All on roads though!

I'm leaving it there as an introduction. Your assistance very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Derek
p.s. I currently ride a Ducati and Honda Blackbird

Yes, I agree with Bob as bring a foreign registered bike into Thailand has become troublesome and expensive unless it is a Malaysian registered bike which can be brought into Thailand without problems - better fly into Vietnam and rent or buy a bike in Vietnam - see for instance: http://vietnamcoracle.com/expenses-for-a-motorbike-road-trip-in-vietnam/#related for some ideas about renting or buying.

You can also contact Flamingo Travel in Hanoi - http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/ as they sometimes have bikes for sale.

Another option is Tigit motorbike who sell bikes and are willing to buy the bike back at the end of your trip - http://tigitmotorbikes.com/

As far as I know there are still restrictions bring a bike into Vietnam from abroad unless you go through all the official permit hassles.

Yes, I agree with Bob as bring a foreign registered bike into Thailand has become troublesome and expensive unless it is a Malaysian registered bike which can be brought into Thailand without problems - better fly into Vietnam and rent or buy a bike in Vietnam - see for instance: http://vietnamcoracle.com/expenses-for-a-motorbike-road-trip-in-vietnam/#related for some ideas about renting or buying.

You can also contact Flamingo Travel in Hanoi - http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/ as they sometimes have bikes for sale.

Another option is Tigit motorbike who sell bikes and are willing to buy the bike back at the end of your trip - http://tigitmotorbikes.com/

As far as I know there are still restrictions bring a bike into Vietnam from abroad unless you go through all the official permit hassles.

Vietnam has been difficult for years and is unlikely to change...a couple of years ago they made it more difficult only to streamline the process again more recently. In any case, a permit and tour is still required as is (as far as I'm aware) a tour guide and lead vehicle. Thailand is now simply following the general trend in nearly all countries in the region to restrict foreign motorists, following similar rules to China, Myanmar and Vietnam. Vietnam and Laos are now even restricting motorcycles from their neighboring countries at various borders or altogether. The freedom with which cars and bikes could enter Thailand was probably going to come to an end sooner or later, especially in light of what neighboring countries have been doing.

Agreed that the best thing to do is fly in and rent a bike locally. A cheap bike purchased in India will suddenly become more expensive than something purchased in Thailand or Vietnam, especially once you add in the cost of transiting Myanmar, which is probably at least a few hundred dollars (perhaps close to US$1000) for a quick, 5-day transit. The current violence in eastern India and the policy changes on allowing transit to/from Myanmar via India changes regularly and makes planning a trip very difficult. Now is probably the worst time to attempt a transit of Myanmar - since a few months a new Myanmar policy means that transits using the Indian and Chinese borders are essentially no longer possible (this policy changes a lot so you need to check the latest to see if this has changed again). There is a thread on this forum mentioning that is has become possible again but by the time you apply, it may not be possible anymore.

Then you still have Thailand, which is still only a few thousand Baht (though by next year the new guide requirement may change that), then Vietnam gets expensive again.

Thank you all (Bob/Lone Rider/Blackwolf) for your kind advice.
TBH I'm shocked at the red tape involved in transiting countries. Just shows how we just accept the lack of formalities required in Europe to cross borders (ATM). I wouldnt hesitate in leaving home to go to e.g. Turkey which crosses multiple country borders, doesnt require me to provide paper work or money!
So, the proposal to purchase a small KTM in Asia, ride through countries and ship bike home is a "Non starter" and NOT economically viable?
I've read so much about buying a 100/110cc Honda from a dealer in Hanoi or Saigon which has been thrashed and rebuilt numerous times. I dont want to be constantly worried about breakdowns. I'm mechanically adept at repairs but you cant carry every tool.

OK, so.....if I restrict my journeys to a couple of countries....maybe buy in Malaysia, you would recommend I dont sell in another country at the end of the trip, but to return it to Malaysia?
Also to ship home would be costly and not economic?

More research required on my part, I shall revert to your links in this thread and learn more before recommenting.

Thanks again guys.

Warm regards,
Derek

Vietnam has been difficult for years and is unlikely to change...a couple of years ago they made it more difficult only to streamline the process again more recently. In any case, a permit and tour is still required as is (as far as I'm aware) a tour guide and lead vehicle. Thailand is now simply following the general trend in nearly all countries in the region to restrict foreign motorists, following similar rules to China, Myanmar and Vietnam. Vietnam and Laos are now even restricting motorcycles from their neighboring countries at various borders or altogether. The freedom with which cars and bikes could enter Thailand was probably going to come to an end sooner or later, especially in light of what neighboring countries have been doing.

Agreed that the best thing to do is fly in and rent a bike locally. A cheap bike purchased in India will suddenly become more expensive than something purchased in Thailand or Vietnam, especially once you add in the cost of transiting Myanmar, which is probably at least a few hundred dollars (perhaps close to US$1000) for a quick, 5-day transit. The current violence in eastern India and the policy changes on allowing transit to/from Myanmar via India changes regularly and makes planning a trip very difficult. Now is probably the worst time to attempt a transit of Myanmar - since a few months a new Myanmar policy means that transits using the Indian and Chinese borders are essentially no longer possible (this policy changes a lot so you need to check the latest to see if this has changed again). There is a thread on this forum mentioning that is has become possible again but by the time you apply, it may not be possible anymore.

Then you still have Thailand, which is still only a few thousand Baht (though by next year the new guide requirement may change that), then Vietnam gets expensive again.

Thank you all (Bob/Lone Rider/Blackwolf) for your kind advice.
TBH I'm shocked at the red tape involved in transiting countries. Just shows how we just accept the lack of formalities required in Europe to cross borders (ATM). I wouldnt hesitate in leaving home to go to e.g. Turkey which crosses multiple country borders, doesnt require me to provide paper work or money!
So, the proposal to purchase a small KTM in Asia, ride through countries and ship bike home is a "Non starter" and NOT economically viable?
I've read so much about buying a 100/110cc Honda from a dealer in Hanoi or Saigon which has been thrashed and rebuilt numerous times. I dont want to be constantly worried about breakdowns. I'm mechanically adept at repairs but you cant carry every tool.

OK, so.....if I restrict my journeys to a couple of countries....maybe buy in Malaysia, you would recommend I dont sell in another country at the end of the trip, but to return it to Malaysia?
Also to ship home would be costly and not economic?

More research required on my part, I shall revert to your links in this thread and learn more before recommenting.

Thanks again guys.

Warm regards,
Derek

While one does see Vietnamese registered bikes for sale in Laos (and occasionally Cambodia) almost exclusively by foreigners (westerners), I'm not sure how legal this is. I think Laos does not link a travelers passport to the customs temporary import form (yet) but I would still advise not to attempt selling a foreign registered bike as it may contravene local laws. Although a Malaysian bike can easily be taken into Thailand, selling it here is more problematic, there may be a way of paying import taxes and registering it locally but that would probably end up being more complicated and expensive than just purchasing locally.

As far as shipping home after the end of your trip is concerned, maybe you could do that, provided your home country allows you to import and change the registration of the bike? You'd need to check with the local authorities back home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rudeboy Introductions 9
Back
Top Bottom