Death Highway

johnnysneds

Bikes
Multistrada 1200S Touring, WR450F, KTM200EXC, Gas Gas 280, PCX
Can anyone advise if Death Highway is doable in a pickup?

Ill shoot Jake an email who wrote the book I think he's back in Cambo

The Death Highway Part One - Plain sailing - Nov 10, 2005 - Sen Monorum, Môndól Kiri, Cambodia

Referred to in Matt Jacobson's Adventure Cambodia as the Death Highway, the "road" from Sen Monorom to Ban Lung is a pretty special affair. For dirtbike enthusiasts, the trip enjoys legendary status -- tales abound of monumental hardship traversing the just-over 200km trip. Fording nasty rivers, reconstructing smashed up motorbikes, sorting out smashed up limbs, and just generally finding one's way in what swings between dense forest with hardly a trail to see through to grassy plains with innumerable trails running off in all directions -- on the Sen Monorom to Ban Lung road there are no signs, few villages and next to no creature-comforts -- hence the attraction.

Can anyone advise if Death Highway is doable in a pickup?

I got an email back from Jake (Matt) who wrote the "Ultimate Cambodia" book regarding the death highway:

"Hey Phil, been on the road in the US without Internet. Got a call from Don today from DC and he was asking about this. They have been reworking the road north from KohNyak to the Sre Pok River at Lumphat and they have a ferry now for vehicles to cross with, so yes, it is now possible for vehicles to go between Mondulkiri and Rattanakiri.

Cheers, Jake"

And there you go, from the "Man" himself, Jake is the one who started calling that ride, the "Death Highway". My recollection is, he was following the Kymer Rouge on a retreat North during the rainy season. So there, the name has stuck in the anal s of Cambodian history.

And there you go, from the "Man" himself, Jake is the one who started calling that ride, the "Death Highway". My recollection is, he was following the Kymer Rouge on a retreat North during the rainy season. So there, the name has stuck in the anal s of Cambodian history.

Thanks for tracking him down Don.

It was my first motorbike trip in Asia, about 2008. Soft sand, matrix of trails with no idea which way to go
2270370577_fdc2ec98a6_z.jpg

There's been a fair bit of rain lately so the road might be a bit interesting in places. Depends on the various stages of construction.

In Feb 2013 I took the following pic of bridge construction over the Srepok river.

Bridge Lumphat 20130224.jpg

It will be a major Hwy thru there soon, unless the China funds dry up.

We're now in Sen Monorom. Anyone have a GPS track for the route mentioned above (Lumphat to Kohnyak)

going to have some lunch then give it a go to Lumphat

We're now in Sen Monorom. Anyone have a GPS track for the route mentioned above (Lumphat to Kohnyak)

going to have some lunch then give it a go to Lumphat

Johnny
A German chap by the name of Reiny runs an offroad motorcycle tour and repair shop in Sen Monorom.
He would be a good source of up to date info.
As you approach SM from Phnom Penh, he's on the left as you come down the big hill that leads into town.

If you follow Rd 76 on your GPS map to the north to Lompath that should be the one you are asking for - but better like Bill said check with Reiny as he will have the latest info

We're actually at Lumphat but the wrong side of the river! It's raining and dark so need to wait until tomorrow morning for the ferry to help us out.

the death highway is dead

The stretch from Poipet to PP via Battambong or Siem Reap are all overhauled and in proper conditions. So or so, the death highway (or also known as the Dancing Road) was always passable with a truck, it was only a question of speed and how long you would need. It's all no problem anymore and going from Poipet to PP is only a questions of hours nowadays.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Cambodia Ride Reports 17
Back
Top Bottom